PDA

View Full Version : Airways Exeter

Mr Boombastick
22nd Mar 2012, 19:19
Anyone recently been through this school?

They used to have an excellent reputation, not sure if this still stands.

Any info greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Mariner9
22nd Mar 2012, 19:37
I've no direct experience in AFT but I've just completed my IR with ASW across the carpark - they share the sim and some of the instructors with Airways. I did therefore fly with 2 of the Airways instructors, who were both excellent :D

Mr Boombastick
22nd Mar 2012, 19:53
Thanks for your reply.

What made you chose ASW over AFT if you dont mind me asking?

Cheers

eyealess
22nd Mar 2012, 20:15
Did my CPL/IR here after having a mare with a training provider out of BOH. All i can say is AFT are amazing. They are real proffesionals. No messing about. Instructors are all ex mili guys who have also worked for the major commercial Airlines. The place is very relaxed with a good mix of self improvers and Red Arrow pilots.!!!!. Don`t be put of by that as generally all the Mili guys are paired together. Go visit. Ask for Brian. You get treated with real respect at this place. You would be a fool to go anywhere else. :ok:

mr.bee
22nd Mar 2012, 20:21
I have recent experience of Airways Flight Training / AFT (2011) - it's a wonderful school. The instructors are all ex-Military/Airliner crew. Very experienced, very patient, very honest.

I learnt a vast amount in a relatively short period of time. Refer to their walls for an indication of student satisfaction, from Red Arrows to people like myself - those photographs span quite a number of years. A hidden gem which survives by word-of-mouth alone.

P.S.
ASW (across the road) seem very good - but it's a vastly different style of school. The two have a good working relationship and share the (AFT owned) FNPTII.

Mariner9
22nd Mar 2012, 20:32
What made you chose ASW over AFT if you dont mind me asking?

I was fitting in my IR around a full time job - ASW were more flexible to the odd-hour-here-and-there approach. As the poster above says, there's an excellent relationship between the two schools so either would be a good choice in my view.

Mr Boombastick
22nd Mar 2012, 20:33
Thanks very much for the info guys.

Im starting there in a couple of months, really looking forward to it. Did quite a bit of research and have not heard a bad word said about the place.

Can you reccomend anything that will make life easier down there?

Cheers

Mariner9
22nd Mar 2012, 20:52
If you need accomodation suggest you give Lorraine a call at Ashclyst Farm. (google to get number). Loads of ASW and AFT students stay there.

donogca
22nd Mar 2012, 22:24
I completed my ME CPL & IR at Airways last year. I would be surprised if there is a flight school out there as professional, reputable and friendly.
The training is flawless and the past student photos tiled over every wall is a compliment to the school. I haven't a negative word to say. The instructors become your friends and will be there to celebrate over a couple of pints when you get through the course :O
I would love to do it all over again!

eyealess
23rd Mar 2012, 09:33
No senecas, just good old duchess B76. Think they have 4 of them

Dan the weegie
23rd Mar 2012, 19:36
I doubt you'll find better, the best you'll do is find a school as good but there's only a couple more in the country that could claim that.

Things that will help - bring your own mug :) and leave any bull at the door.

Mr Boombastick
23rd Mar 2012, 21:08
Thanks everyone.... It makes a nice change to only read / hear positive things about a place these days!

Im just about to complete a ground school course at one of the major schools and I am appauled by their general arrogance and the way they treat their customers.
Seeing the integrated students churned out, of what can only be described as a sausage factory, month in month out has been a bit of an eye opener for me, and it has raised questions / concerns about guys from the smaller schools competing against the 'sausages' for jobs with all the corperate help they get from their schools career's department.

I just hope in a few months time when Ive finally got my licence, I can compete on a level playing field with the integrated guys and land a job!

I'd be interested to hear anyones experiences of job hunting after using AFT as their main traning provider, were they well thought of in the industry and are chaps generally sucessful?

I noted Flybe operate some traning from Exter airfield, do they ever come knocking at the school?

Thanks once again fellas, have a nice weekend! Time for beer I think!

Dan the weegie
24th Mar 2012, 10:46
Okay, a couple of home truths before you make up your mind.
It is not a level playing field with integrated schools. Whether it's right is another matter but it's not because of the incentives given to companies for type ratings etc which make it financially very attractive to sign up to exclusivity deals. You will not get access to some places without being in an integrated program. Flybe and EasyJet are the two I can think of although that said I'm sure there will be a few exceptions that prove the rule.

Flybe don't actively recruit from Airways, I'm not sure why but you meet some really interesting people there and there is often little tasty bits of info around and some helpful people. You really shouldn't expect anything but decent training which will stand you in good stead with good handling skills and a decent attitude but it WILL be an uphill struggle getting work.

How you do that is up to you, I worked at the airport for 3 years meeting as many people as I possibly could and when the chance came, it was one of those people that helped me to an interview.

The good news is, people are getting jobs, I'm finally starting a great TP job and the stuff I did at Airways definitely helped.

I'm 50-60 grand better off than an integrated student my pay is better and I get better time off and rostering. I'm flying a small TP rather than a big shiny but it's a heap of fun. It probably took me one or two years more than the same age of person would at OAA / CTC so it balances out, a little.

Integrated is faster and easier, no question but if you've got the right attitude and you have a plan as to how you're going to get yourself a job then modular is great. If that's what you want to do, there's no need to go elsewhere other than AFT.