PDA

View Full Version : Destination drive is full (brand new and empty)

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Mar 2012, 11:10
The last couple of weeks have been a dog's breakfast with the near totalling of two PCs out of 4 !!

... and now the last (hopefully) recovery job has hit an unfathomable (to me) problem.

Went to move outlook folders/files to new machine - worked a treat (trabsferered to 16GB USB stick) other than it left behind part of the structure which SWMBO had labled 'personal folders' (same as the outlook base file, whihc was presumably the cause.

No problem I thought - went back to original and restructured/named files and went to transfer again BUT wghen moving main block of data itstantly announced 'the disck in the destination file is full).

I should have had plenty of space, but I emtied the stick and subsequently reformatted it - same result.

Put absolutely new stick (again 16GB - and total files involved 8.5GB) on the job - and again same result !!

Any ideas ??

bnt
22nd Mar 2012, 11:23
Are any of those files 4GB or larger? That's the typical limit for the FAT file system used on USB keys. If so, you can use a tool like 7-Zip Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/utilities/7-zip_portable) to create a multi-part archive
- use the option to split it in to chunks of a manageable size e.g 100MB.
- select "Store" (i.e. no compression) to speed the process up - you have plenty of space.
You can keep 7-Zip Portable on the USB key to reassemble it at the other end.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Mar 2012, 11:29
If you're moving Outlook data, normally the only files which need to be transferred are the *.pst files
Copy just those to the pen drive, plug into the new machine, go into Outlook and then import the data from the pen drive to Outlook on the new machine

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Mar 2012, 12:00
The file concerned is ...

Outlook
Microsoft Office Outlook Personal Folders

= 4.13 Gb, so that may be thr problem.

I'll go and play with 7-ZIP portable.

Thanks was not aware of that restriction

Mike-Bracknell
22nd Mar 2012, 12:03
Format the stick as NTFS :ok:

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Mar 2012, 12:31
I've downloaded the ZIP utility on one stick and the other is reformatting as we speak - thanks to both.

Does the NTFS change have any other impact on its use ??

le Pingouin
22nd Mar 2012, 13:02
The device you're plugging it into must be able to use NTFS. No problem on a Windows PC but Mac & Linux may need a little fiddling. Other devices like PVRs may or may not handle it.

Milo Minderbinder
22nd Mar 2012, 14:01
do a QUICK format on that pen drive, not a full format
Full formats can kill some pen drives...

Senior Paper Monitor
22nd Mar 2012, 17:56
Full fomat to NTFS (I had nearly finished by the time Milo's warning was published - and had half a day to spare :rolleyes:).

Has just uploaded all the the files including the 4 + GB one with no problem).

Will set it downloading to new machine and go to the pub !!!

Thanks to all