PDA

View Full Version : BCPL/IR Upgrade

T67C.
26th Aug 1999, 14:15
Has anyone done the "BCPL/IR Upgrade" module at OATS. I understand this course exists until June 2000. Under the Vocational Training Relief Scheme if you are over 30 you can get 23% off an approved course lasting more than 4 weeks and less than 1 year., makes the cost more reasonable at £19k for 15 weeks. Can I combine the "BCPL/IR Upgrade" with a JAA ATPL or will I have to wait do a JAA CPL/IR? Is the BCPL/IR Upgrade a full CPL/IR.

Any help sorting my confusion will be much appreciated.

watford
26th Aug 1999, 15:33
The upgrade course is from BCPL to UK national CPL/IR. The couirse has no validity or credit under JAR-FCL1, normal rules for conversion of a national licence will apply after you have been issued with a UK CPL/IR. A BCPL is, of course, worthless under JARs.

T67C.
26th Aug 1999, 16:20
Thanks watford.

Does this mean it would be better for me to do the JAR CPL/IR course that will be offered at OATS after June 2000.

watford
27th Aug 1999, 02:03
Dunno. It depends what you want to do in the future. If you want to fly for a UK operator then the national licence is fine. However, if you believe the pundits, you need a JAA licence to enable you to work anywhere in europe. The fact that most european national airlines (Air France, Alitalia, TAP, to name but a few) have made it perfectly clear that they will not employ 'foreigners' is, so far as the europhiles are concerned, beside the point.

Consider,however, that if you want the JAA licence, you have to take the JAA ground exams. This will mean learning a new language - european English, which, the JAA have insisted, is what the central question bank will be written in.

Prop wash
28th Aug 1999, 19:07
Hmm

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Aug 1999, 21:28
European English CANNOT be worse than the twisted weird concotion currently in use for the CAA ATPL exams. I (almost) went to Oxford to read English and I was never sure half the time what subtle nuance was embedded in some obscure question about Decca.

That said I think it'll be hard to get really good teaching prior to the exams for a while until things settle down and the various schools get a grip on the new content. Half the time at PPSC you were told ''if you see this question the answer is (b) - 67kts, don't ask, you don't need to know''...

juswonnafly
31st Aug 1999, 00:03
T67c

Why OATS?

Try Cabair, just as good and 6k less!

Stay in debt!

JWF

T67C.
31st Aug 1999, 12:37
When I am ready to do my CPL I will try CABAIR. Thanks.

Startup
31st Aug 1999, 18:37
At what stage are you now, T67C?

T67C.
1st Sep 1999, 12:09
Starting IMC and night rating, looking to start my JAA ATPL ground school some over winter and plan to do my CPL next June.