PDA

View Full Version : BM sponsorship

Jonty
20th Sep 1999, 12:04
Bm have advertised in flight this week of sponsorships starting next summer at OATS.
For further info send an stamped addressed envelope (60P)to:
Lucy Scoones
OATS
Oxford Airport
Kidlington
Oxford
OX5 1RA

At least one airline has the right idea!

Pete Tong got power
20th Sep 1999, 13:06
Thing is, if you crashed and burned at the final stage last year, you can't apply till next year...atleast that was the case last year...dam!

WX Man
20th Sep 1999, 13:21
The moment I've been waiting for. Thanks for the info, Jonty!

Having completely RRRRd up at the second stage last time (2 years ago), I'll keep fingers crossed that they don't hold it against me this time.

Is the contribution from the sponsored student still around £12-14K, or has it gone up since they introduced the hybrid CAA-JAA course for the cadets?

Wedge
20th Sep 1999, 13:59
Good luck to all PPRuNers going for this one. However - if you aren't ex/current UAS you have little chance with this one.....this bit of advice comes straight from the horses mouth, if you know what I mean!

Brit Abroad
20th Sep 1999, 15:14
Wedge

Please expand.

Sounds a bit "Jobs for the boys" to me, (if your allegations are accurate, of course)

Brit

PS. Email me if you prefer.

Vlaks
20th Sep 1999, 17:10
Last time around, the cadet contribution was an initial £15,000, followed by £30,000 deducted from salary over first five years of employment.

Re. the need to be ex/current UAS, I'm sure it helps, but a good proportion of last year's inlet weren't.

Pete Tong got power
20th Sep 1999, 18:44
Have to disagree with Wedge big time on his above comment. UAS people stand a good chance of getting past the Oxford interview, however last year me and more than a handful of my ex UAS mateys all got down to the final stage and none of us got the nod. Job's for the boys, unfortunately I think not, and you can't tell me that myself and all of my mates didn't make the grade...not quite certain what cracked off.

I did get a bit peeved when I found out that they took on people that were part way through uni...may be that's me being bitter for not geting in.

Good luck to everyone, but if you are UAS don't be complacent, and if you aren't you stand just as much chance as anyone, believe me!

Petey

Rowley Birkin, QC
20th Sep 1999, 18:57
Do you think that OATS take up references from UASs before they invite you to second stage interview (if you put it on your application form)? It's just I was in one, but I don't think I'd get a very good reference from the Squadron Commander as he and I had a personality difference.

Did they really take on people who were part way through University? I heard that OATS (or BM?) don't like to take people out of University.

Pete Tong got power
20th Sep 1999, 19:32
Took this chap out of his second year at uni...and left us UAS guys standing.

But like the murphys I aint bitter...not! ;)

SR71
21st Sep 1999, 19:25
I was on the reserve list last year for BM CEP's.
Never got a call. Shame.
I've never belonged to UAS.
Got a PhD though in Flight Control.
Fat lot of use that was.
Maybe thats your point Wedge...
If any of you get a hold of your Morrisby Profile results...say from old Air2000 interviews (also reached the last stage with them last year and got dropped. Shame again.) that'll give you a good idea of how to manufacture your test scores to fit the required profile. Being too clever doesn't help one bit...in fact in my opinion it does you a dis-service.
But BM didn't administer psychological testing so that maybe a waste of time...
Is it really true, Pete Tong, what you say about re-application if you got so far last year? Thats just spoilt my day. http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/frown.gif
Like it makes any odds.....

[This message has been edited by SR71 (edited 21 September 1999).]

Pete Tong got power
21st Sep 1999, 19:31
SR71...fraid so matey, or atleast I am sure that was the case with the scheme last year, wont know for sure till I see the add, but that is what I reckon.

Don't know why though as you can reapply for most other carriers within a year, hence why am hanging around waiting for the year to be up so I can apply to BA again after reaching the final stage with them...shame! ;).

Wedge
22nd Sep 1999, 19:12
Pete, I never said that being in the UAS would guarantee you a place on the sponsorship!!!

What I did say was that you are at a disadvantage at the OATS selection if you are not ex-UAS.

Jet A1
22nd Sep 1999, 22:31
Also on the advert I noticed in small print.....NO KIWIS.....NO OZMATES !!

MAX
23rd Sep 1999, 18:34
JET A1,

I didn't see anything about no New Zealand or Australians. The unrestricted right to live and work in the Uk is what it says.

Jet A1
23rd Sep 1999, 22:40
Look closer....

150Aerobat
23rd Sep 1999, 23:22
No offence Jet A1, but that's a pretty lazy reply.

"Candidates must be UK residents aged over 20 and under 32 at entry to training, with the unrestricted right to live and work in the UK. You must also hold an unrestrivted world-wide password and have the ability to obtain a UK CAA Class I Medical Certificate".

Nationals from other countries can certainly apply, you simply must have the right to live and work indefinitely within the United Kingdon. A Right of Abode certainly grants you this priviledge. Some visa types, such as an ancestory visa (commonly called a Grandfather visa) may also, but applicants need to check on this last point.

Bob Fleming
24th Sep 1999, 15:33
Not to put a dampener on the enthusiam, but last year after being told that about 30 were being taken on only 8 people were selected.

After 400 or so that did the tests (let alone applied) I only hope that they can stretch their recruitment to double figures.

Fleming

[This message has been edited by Bob Fleming (edited 24 September 1999).]

EuroWanker
26th Sep 1999, 17:50
Jet A1 - stop being such a racist pillock.
Quite a few people in this world have dual nationality, not just a grandfather who came from the UK. SO do you also include people with one Irish and one Pom parent.
Grow up a little, that sort of attitude will not suit BM, as quite a recent recruitment campaign downunder means there are a few of those awful foreigners flying for them.

Vlaks
27th Sep 1999, 11:38
Bob Fleming,

Fair enough - fewer were taken on than OATS (not BM!) originally stated. However, your figure of 8 successful candidates is most definitely wrong: twice that many got places.

SR71
28th Sep 1999, 16:35
Pete Tong...
I didn't see anything on the new 1999 BM forms to suggest applicants who almost succeeded last year couldn't reapply this year...
Or are they going to write back to me and tell me to get lost?

Duff
28th Sep 1999, 18:02
I am a Kiwi but my father is Irish. Would I be eligible for sponsorship

trustno1
28th Sep 1999, 18:50
Forget about the flying, can you play football....we need a decent Left Back for the up coming game against Macedonia

trustno1
28th Sep 1999, 18:53
And in answer to your question, If you have an Irish Da you are entitled to an Irish passport. This passport will allow you to work in the U.K.

Pete Tong got power
28th Sep 1999, 19:23
SR71...I have just been on the rag and bone to Oxford enquiring about whether or not I could reapply. Basically...No! If you got down to the final stage last time and BM rejected you, then they do not want to see you again.

Sucks the c**k of death if you ask me, as BA are willing to see you again after a year, and actually recommended that I reapply.

Person at Oxford said it was probably due to the number of applicants, however, I am sure more people apply to BA than BM.

Good luck anyway

Petey.