PDA

View Full Version : MEP/IR Revalidation in Norway

Mel73
21st Mar 2012, 10:42
Hi guys.

I’m looking for suggestions by pilots from Norway.

Due to my job, unfortunately not related to aviation, I am moving to Oslo area for a long period of time (more than 1 year for sure). I need to revalidate my MEP – IR rating which expires in July.

Could you please recommend me a well organized flight school or FTO? Preferably, but not necessarily, based in the Oslo zone.

I have made a Google research, and found there is plenty of aeroclubs, but what I need is some opinions based on your experience.

Many thanks in advance. :ok:

Mel
(italian Jaa licence, fATPL, CPL – IR, SEP/MEP, 280TT)

aloha1985
21st Mar 2012, 11:53
I renewed at Airways Flygutbildning (http://www.airwaysflygutbildning.se/index_eng.html) using their DA-42 simulator. They're just outside of Stockholm - it's a bit of a drive (from Oslo), but I estimated that I saved at least 50% of what the most reasonable provider in Norway would take - despite the additional travel and lodging costs. My ratings had expired, so for a refresher course and skill test the total was 5600 SEK + 1200 SEK for the examiner, who was the same guy :cool:

Luftfartsskolen (http://www.luftfartsskolen.no/) in Oslo has just had a simulator approved too - it was not approved when I was going to renew – so I don't know their prices.

Good luck! :ok:

Kejim
21st Mar 2012, 13:05
Follo Flyklubb (http://www.folloflyklubb.no/index.php?menu=2&item=2)

Contact Kjeserud or Halvorsen, Kjeserud owns a PA34 and Halvorsen is an examiner for the Norwegian CAA. I am very happy with the service they provided for me when I needed to renew, and will definitely use them the next time.

truckflyer
21st Mar 2012, 21:45
You don't need to renew your MEP, just ME/IR.

If first time renewal you only need to do it in the sim, saving you much money.

You can have it done within 2-3 days, at least here in the UK, fairly easy, a couple of sim sessions and test.

Just make sure you check with your local CAA what paperwork they require, it can be quit complex, I renewed my Norwegian ME/IR in the UK, and the Norwegian CAA requested a load of paperwork for this.

If first renewal, I would it in the sim, to save you loads of cash, Norway is probably quite expensive.

Jager43
22nd Mar 2012, 02:13
sim approved even with expired ratings?

truckflyer
22nd Mar 2012, 06:29
No for using sim for first renewal, you have to do the renewal before expiry.

aloha1985
22nd Mar 2012, 23:08
I did it in a sim after expiry, but there is the obvious refresher course then as well.

truckflyer
24th Mar 2012, 01:42
So you could do it in the sim after expiry? What kind of refresher course?

This was just ME/IR?

Was it long time after expiry? G1000?

That price seemed reasonable though. I paid probably around £700, for 1.5 session in the sim + examiner. (Examiner was £200)

aloha1985
24th Mar 2012, 01:48
Yup - G1000. It was a few months after expiry. 2 hr refresher course, then PC.

Mel73
26th Mar 2012, 09:42
Thank you very much guys for all your suggestions, very very appreciated. :D

Thanks again for your help. :ok:

Mel

aloha1985
26th Mar 2012, 10:14
This was just ME/IR?

Well, it is a renewal, but I do not have the required landings in an aircraft to be able to use it for anything. Not that I intend to do any self-sponsored instrument leisure flying with a multi-engine :}