PDA

View Full Version : Rex Now on the looking for expats

PT6A
20th Mar 2012, 17:30
Rex looking for expat SF340 drivers and holding interviews in the US.

Seems like the expat ATR job might of just been the start?

hometruth
20th Mar 2012, 21:03
Rex have been advertising on overseas websites for 457 visa pilots for at least the last two months.

I wonder if applicants have been told they will be joining in the middle of an industrial dispute between Rex and it's pilots?

Ejector
21st Mar 2012, 00:42
I don't thing the unemployed in the Philippians, India and Bangladesh will care.

PT6A
21st Mar 2012, 00:52
I don't think many people will care... A job is a job at the moment.

I would imagine it won't just be people from the "3rd world" applying I understand REX are actually targeting American and European pilots.

chimbu warrior
21st Mar 2012, 01:56
A job is a job at the moment.

But why is it that these ATR72/Saab 340/Jetstream 41 jobs require recruits from overseas?

Surely the operators involved are going to bond their foreign recruits to cover the costs associated with getting these people set up in Australia, so........why not just hire Aussies and bond them for the endorsement cost? Surely this would be cheaper.

There are plenty of unemployed and available pilots locally, who already have licences, ASIC cards, CIR and all the other bits & pieces; why not take a look at them?

There is one very successful operator of Dutch turboprops and jets in this country who provide the endorsement to the pilots they recruit, and they seem to have no difficulty attracting the people they want from those available locally. From what I see, they also have a pretty happy bunch of pilots, despite not being the highest paying job.

nitpicker330
21st Mar 2012, 04:04
Why dont you send an email to Senator Nick? I'm sure he cares.

pull-up-terrain
21st Mar 2012, 05:11
I have noticed Brindabella Airlines is also advertising for expats

DeltaT
21st Mar 2012, 08:29
Who actually hands out these Visas i.e do the companies get a quota and they can hand them out willy nilly, or is there someone overseeing who gets the Visas such as the Immigration Department?

The crux is; who do us as qualified pilots, albeit not rated, complain to?!!

Ollie Onion
21st Mar 2012, 09:19
Hmm, its a tricky one. I saw an employment court once determine, for the purpose of redundancy, that two pilots rated on different aircraft were considered to have two seperate jobs. This allowed the more senior pilot to be made redundant from a reducing fleet ahead of a more junior pilot on an expanding fleet. So in the courts eyes our jobs are type specific, if the only local pilots are not type rated I can see how they are granted permission to recruit rated pilots from overseas. I don't agree with it, but it is a way of the world unfortunately. :ugh:

neville_nobody
22nd Mar 2012, 00:00
So in theory you could purchase a fleet of Chinese aircraft that noone operates then employ a bunch of Chinese to come to Australia and fly them around.

theheadmaster
22nd Mar 2012, 00:21
What employment court was that Ollie, and what was the case?

greybeard
22nd Mar 2012, 00:38
Didn't this all happen once before in the previous millenium?

:*

The Green Goblin
22nd Mar 2012, 00:55
Look guys the situation sucks, but these unemployed guys are unemployed for a reason.

Rex interview, they have a standard (and through all their faults, they have a good standard) and if you don't meet it, you don't get the job.

They shouldn't have to lower that standard to employ local pilots who are in charge of multi million dollar company assetts.

I am totally against the cadet thing in its current form, but then the writing is on the wall for pilots from traditional pathways and they need to secure a supply somehow.

Chadzat
22nd Mar 2012, 01:12
Further to what the Green Goblin said, I work for one of the companies currently looking to employ pilots from overseas. The issue here is the timeframe for the training of new pilots.

No one doubts that all but maybe the worst 10% of pilots are able to be TRAINED into safe and proficient turboprop first officers and captains. The issue here is one of Training resources and the time taken to train pilots who dont have RPT turboprop experience. Its not simply the case that once these current vacancies get filled then its happy days and no more training of new pilots will be required. These companies need 10's of pilots per year and when you take sim endorsement, ground school and line training into account it takes a MINIMUM of 3 months to get a checked to line first officer at the other end. If you can get a type rated, experienced guy in (particularly a Captain) then it frees up your training resources to train new hires (aussies).

Now what happens when you have a new type to Australia? You cant fly them with 2 FO's up the front. So ideally you get maybe 10-15% of your initial pilot group as experienced type rated flight crew (captains) who can then filter this experience through to the new hires. Without this initial experience in operating a new type you are basically reinventing the wheel by learning all the tricks and idiosyncracies of the new aircraft.

Before everyone gets hysterical about how overseas pilots are 'taking our jobs' (cue South Park 'they took our jobs' skit) its a case of necessity otherwise routes and/or expansion plans come to a grinding halt. There will still be plenty of regional jobs for guys coming up throuhg GA mark my words! :ok:

kalavo
22nd Mar 2012, 02:31
Wouldn't have anything at all to do with poor progression planning or the use of cadets to cut costs who can't be upgraded because they don't meet the experience requirement.

Tee Emm
22nd Mar 2012, 06:31
Wouldn't have anything at all to do with poor progression planning or the use of cadets to cut costs who can't be upgraded because they don't meet the experience requirement. Precisely.

When recruiting experienced overseas pilots there are some very good ones and some are bloody awful. These are the professional cowboys who flit from contract to contract and often have `history. ` Read that as you wish. As we all know, thousands of hours on one type does not ensure a safe and reliable pilot. You only have to see the doubtful quality of many of the foreign `contract` captains hired through agencies by some of the SE Asian airlines, to realise that.

You don't have to be a veteran ace to fly a Saab 340 although the qualifications demanded by some operators are ridiculous. RFDS is a prime example.

Ollie Onion
22nd Mar 2012, 07:29
It was actually the High Court in London, the principal being challenged was Last In First Out when using compulsory redundancies. It all started with Rolls Royce v Unite Union when RR wanted to 'select' who would be made redundant using length of service as just one variable. When my airline was threatening compulsory redundancies the union (BALPA) wanted a LIFO application using the seniority list. The airline wanted to be able to make pilots redundant from specific fleets regardless of time served. Their argument was that 'training' was required to move a senior 747 Captain (dying fleet) over to the A320 (expanding fleet) and therefore it was classified as a 'different job'. So young pilot with 2 years in the job could be retained over senior skipper. The case never came to a conclusion as the Judge on the second day said that with the above case in mind that it could only have one outcome, he then asked the union lawyer if we wanted to continue with the action with it in mind that he was not going to overturn the previous decision. So case over and the airline won the right to treat different aircraft types as 'different' roles within the same airline. No since all this PC garbage is the responsibility of young graduate policy analysts who want to make everything 'fair' I can well imagine someone in the immigration department going 'of course this airline should be given some 457 visas, there are NO suitable candidates for this role as it is a new type in this country and therefore a new job that no one here is qualified for'.

So in answer to the above, if an airline was to purchase a load of 'chinese', 'russain' aircraft then I could see the airline being granted visas to employ people from overseas who have this 'on' their licence.

As I said, it sucks but this is the way the world is going. You can imagine this being of great interest to airlines, why have to type rate people when you can hire someone with experience. Why get rid of the cheap young cadet or first officer when you can make an expensive senior captain or first officer redundant first.

Thatschecked
22nd Mar 2012, 08:18
The question that needs to be asked is why do Rex need to go to the trouble of looking once again overseas for pilots?

There was a pilot shortage several years ago and this was tried and it didn't solve the problem.

Anyone looking from the outside, (ie shareholders) at all the fluffed up press releases regarding the greatly reduced pilot attrition rate and seeing pictures of class after class of beaming cadets being presented their wings by proud parents in front of brand new training aircraft inside multi million dollar hangers and training facilities would of thought long ago that Rex had the crew shortage licked?

So why now after millions of dollars spent in the last few years on 'pilot training' are Rex once again at the brink of a severe pilot shortage that threatens the future growth and earning capacity of the airline, needing once again to head overseas in search of pilots to crew their aircraft? (when this solution didn't work last time?)

Perhaps those at the top (ie LKH) haven't been given the full story on what it takes to run and crew an airline at the coalface.

Here is a radical idea, what would be the result if Rex placed a value on their pilots, engaged with them, worked together with them and even acknowledged that their skills, experience and training is valuable and worth retaining?

Roger Greendeck
22nd Mar 2012, 09:17
Might be an opportune time to push some of these issues with the Federal Govt. The Transport Minister introduced a bill today to improve shipping careers, offering incentives for companies to improve the Australian fleet and most importantly changing tax rules so foreign companies can employ Australian merchant seaman overseas and not have to pay Australian income tax rates. The theory being, according to the Minister, that they can gain experience and improve the industry when they come back.

So why can't an Australian pilot get the same tax rules working overseas? The could then come back when the industry needs to expand.

As far as Rex goes though, this is an object lesson in the lag time of treating staff poorly. The Government should see (be shown) that the companies problems stem from low pay and conditions and not be permitted to use 457 visas until they have made substantial efforts to improve their attractiveness to local pilots.

compressor stall
22nd Mar 2012, 10:01
They wouldn't need to employ tens of pilots a year if they didn't lose tens of pilots a year who had a bank manager breathing at their door.

I'm sure that there is no shortage of pilots who would like to work for Rex, living in a major regional centre with all the lifestyle attractions that that brings. Trouble is the Rex pilots can't afford to and move on to something that has better pay.

Jamair
22nd Mar 2012, 10:14
the qualifications demanded by some operators are ridiculous. RFDS is a prime example
Tee Emm - Can you expand on that? What part of the RFDS qualifications are ridiculous?:confused: (Particularly since this is about Rex, an airline operating 2-crew regional turboprops and RFDS operate single pilot?)

hometruth
22nd Mar 2012, 11:05
Chadzat asks " Now what happens when you have a new type to Australia? "

Answer: You do what has worked perfectly well before.

Here is a rough list of turbine powered aircraft successfully introduced into australian airline service without the "assistance" of FOUR year 457 visa holders.

A300, A310, A320-21, A330, B707, B717, B727, B737-200, B737-300-800, B747-200-300. B747-400, B767, B777, DC9, MD82-83, E170/190, F27, F28, F50, F70-100, ATR42, BAe146, RJ70, L188, Dash8 100-400, Saab340, Metro3, CRJ, B1900, Brasilia, J31, J41, Viscount. etc etc

All introduced by australian pilots without incident or accident.

We don't need long term 457 visa holders to introduce "new" aircraft. The record shows we have been successfully doing this for decades.

GAFA
22nd Mar 2012, 12:37
hometruth spot on, so many more advanced types (then the ATR 72) without the need to use 457 visas.

Virgin was able to introduce the Ejet on time, fully crewed from within for Captains and experienced pilots from the Australian regionals as FO's. The Ejet ramp up was very similar to the ATR but never had a problem crewing it with Australian pilots.

This time last year Virgin offered Skywest 30- 40 Ejet Captains and FO's (most holding or held training or checking) for up to 2 years. This was knocked back by Skywest and their pilots. The ATR FO's didn't want Virgin pilots taking their commands and some of the Captains wanted DEC slots at Virgin.

So here we are 12 months down the track and Skywest is now bringing in DEC's on 457's, so those FO's who were worried their commands going to Virgin pilots for a few years will now be waiting a lot longer as the 457 pilots now take their commands. There is also talk of CASA not allowing the 5th ATR to go into service due to lack of resources at Skywest. Virgin still over crewed with Ejet Captains with most sitting on STBY. Virgin unable to the ATR network at the pase they want to.

Are there any winners with this current situation? No there isn't. If Skywest and their pilot group were smart they would approach Virgin and say, you guys have an over supply of Ejet Captains and we have an under supply of ATR pilots, what can we both do about it ie can we borrow some Captains for a year or so. Jobs stay go to Australian pilots, Skywest gets some experienced Captains and in a few years these Captaind go back to Virgin and the Skywest FO's get their commands.

Chadzat
22nd Mar 2012, 13:13
GAFA- here we go again. That chip on the shoulder certainly isnt fading is it? Without making it personal (because I dare say we are on the same team) I need to clear up some of the 'facts' that you constantly sprout in these matters.

This was knocked back by Skywest and their pilots. The ATR FO's didn't want Virgin pilots taking their commands and some of the Captains wanted DEC slots at Virgin.

For a start nothing was 'knocked back' by its Pilots. Like Virgin, the Skywest pilot group does not make decisions on behalf of management. It is the other way around. When Virgin 'offered' 30-40 ejet capts and F/O's, there were NO ATR F/O's even employed as the operation hadnt even commenced!! So its pretty hard for them to block a deal when they dont even work for Skywest.

There is no provision in the Skywest Pilots CA for such a 2 year 'swap' if you like. In fact the decision to not bring in Virgin crews was made before even any west coast Skywest Pilots had heard about the 'deal'.

So please by all means contiinue to be peeved that no ejet crews got the chance at an atr, but skywest pilots (or salpa) had NOTHING to do with it!

Also just wait and see how small the number of 457's they manage to bring in - it will be tiny in the scheme of things!

jibba_jabba
22nd Mar 2012, 17:16
Its just another sign that Rex cannot AND will not pay staff professional wages. So in turn, will look to economically ravaged area's (USA) to plug the holes in the dam-wall.

To the pilots considering this:
When the US dollar resurges or when the AUD drops for whatever reason, the maths will leave you short. Also, nothing is for free, your move out here maybe subsidised by the company, but you will payfor it for more than 5 years. Just like the Sth Africans that came, they are busting there arse to leave but have been locked into terms that are really not very good at all.

Also, consider the big move here, with family and all; may be a land of adventure, but only if you get the time off to go look around this ever increasingly expensive country........ oh and dont forget the fact that you will most likely be based in Sydney, where the wages are the same as those that live in the country bases .....for alot cheaper than you will in $ydney... E.g - rent is easily 300+ p/w for a single person, let alone a family.... look more around the $500+..... and thats the start. Fuel is $1.50 ltr and food aint that cheap here.

So weigh it up and read the contract carefully; They dont hand out very much for free at all here.

In all seriousness, your better off going to another airline that you can progress in.

Metro man
22nd Mar 2012, 19:08
Chadzat asks " Now what happens when you have a new type to Australia? "

Manufacturers will often supply training pilots to get the show up and running depending on the complexity of the type and experience of the operator. A few weeks with a type experienced training Captain helping out can be invaluable. These pilots leave once their job is done.:hmm:

Shed Dog Tosser
22nd Mar 2012, 19:45
Have you noticed this 457 visa crap and DECs always comes up around EBA negotiating time?

I wonder why that is :yuk::yuk:

KRUSTY 34
22nd Mar 2012, 20:09
It certainly does, but as Chadzat said, in the big scheme of things the numbers will be insignificant.

Last time REX embarked on this crusade they virtually scoured the Earth. They even went to Eastern Europe! The result: 5 south Africans. Good guys and good operators all, but did they save REX? Nope! The GFC saved REX.

As jibba jabba says, beware airline management bearing gifts. The SA guys were unique in they came over to provide a safer life for their families. To the best of my knowledge, no such entrenched danger exists in th US.

It's just a sideshow.

Golf_Seirra
28th Mar 2012, 08:51
Humm,

Interesting dilemma, I am currently one of the crew REX have approached for an interview in the States. We have a turboprop operation in SA called Link who operate J41's in an operation much like Rex regarding low entry pay and the philosophy, don't bother to treat them well, they will be in jet jobs as their bonds expire.

While I may be a hypocrite in saying I would not join that particular SA based airline because of the low pay and working conditions, consider the fact that this is a tremendous opportunity to immigrate to a country that offers hope and a future for my kids.

It really is a rock and a hard place situation. Get in the way of you guys getting what terms you derserve or grasping an opportunity while it lasts.

There is no bond attached as I am type rated, the position 'may' be command as I only have P2 time on the Saab ( but plenty P1 on other similar types )....apart for the current concerns regarding your pending action, I am worried about the fact I must pay for my own transport, accommodation, meals, visa etc to the States....

Possibly speaks as to the companies commitment, just fishing or are they seriously short of P1's?

Tough call, any friendly advise considering we are almost cousin's ....:confused:

apache
28th Mar 2012, 15:50
There was another Rex thread running where one chap said that he had taken three days off from work, flown to Melbourne for an interview only to land there and receive a message on his phone stating that they had cancelled the Interview for the day.... No reason given, and no one returned his calls. And all at his own expense!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

KRUSTY 34
28th Mar 2012, 21:01
Hi Golf_Sierra.

I gather by your post you are South African, but have been approached by REX in the US? The last batch of SA guys worked out pretty well, but here are the facts regarding their employment.

Of the 5 that joined REX more than 3 years ago, 4 are now Captains. The 5th one (an extremely experienced former heavy jet captain) decided for his own reasons to remain an F/O at his country base. It was more than 2 years however before any of these guys saw command. The simple reason, there was more "Fat" in the pool of upgradeable F/O's. Opportunity to qualify for command has, and remains so by way of seniority.

At the time, REX paid for all the relocation costs, plus a $30K grant to help with resettlement. This money was not repayable unless the pilot left prior to 6 years service. If REX aren't offering you at least the same deal, I'd be asking why not.

The situation for REX is now more dire. Back in 07/08 even though REX were losing on average 10 pilots a month, most REX F/O's had the Quals' for command. REX's solution was to simply promote and recruit. When that became untenable they then spent (ultimately) $12 million on a cadet scheme. REX were warned at the time that this would produce a First Officer force unable to be upgraded. Those chickens have now come home to roost!

So the potential for DEC's now exists. It wouldn't be a walk up start, as the REX Check and Training system has a reputation for being somewhat ruthless, be that deserved or otherwise. Additionally it would require the sanction of the union. That should not be a problem if there are absolutely no upgradeable F/O's left. The dilemma for REX is that to employ DEC's would be to admit that their much exaggerated claims for the Cadetships has not produced one single captain! Despite the smug reassurances of the former Chief Pilot.

As far as the Curent PIA is concerned, the are no bans on the employment of pilots, from whatever source. REX pilots have welcomed all new recruits in the same manner as always. Just be aware however of the sort of people you may be dealing with (REX management) and take their assurances (unless it is in writing) with a healthy grain of salt.

volare_737
29th Mar 2012, 01:39
Just to confirm the above. I was one of the guys who joined the Coastwatch in Darwin 4 years ago as a newcomer from SA.
Have to say the best, and most welcoming and helpful guys I have worked with for a very long time.
Don't know about REX but Coastwatch was wonderful.
Don't listen to everything on here.
Mosy Oz Pilots I have meet over here are just like all of us !!!!
Good Luck

KRUSTY 34
29th Mar 2012, 01:47
I would like to second that.

Golf_Sierra will have no problems with the REX pilots. It's the promisses from REX mangement that he/she will have to beware of.

Just ask the former REX Cadets.

Golf_Seirra
29th Mar 2012, 09:50
Thanks guys for the positive feedback. First hurdle is getting to the interview from SA. I have commented to one or two guys that I see it as an investment in my kids future.

That been said, lets see what is practically on offer. I obviously have a copy of last years employment agreement.

I did ask if I was succesful with the interview, would the interview costs be refunded.

The answer was no, as far as I understood the reply....

KRUSTY 34
15th Apr 2012, 04:13
REX are currently deploying airline crew and aircraft to service an increasing amount of mining charter work in Queensland. Once the domain of REX's subsiduary PEL-AIR. This has resulted, and will continue at an increasing rate, to result in disruptions to RPT services further south.

To enable REX to exploit even greater opportunities in QLD, a significant increase in the number of pilots for PEL-AIR may be necessary. Unfortunately (for pilots) PEL-AIR crews are on inferior wages and conditions compared to their REX counterparts. When you consider REX pilots are currently lagging some 15-20% behind their counterparts in this regard, it doesn't take a degree in Human resources to figure out why REX have found it next to impossible to recruit and then retain pilots at PEL-AIR!

Be careful if REX recruitment dangle a position at PEL-AIR in front of you. PEL-AIR, essentially a charter company have traditionally retained only those types happy to work in such a niche environment. If REX are able to employ pilots into PEL-AIR, and attach strings to retain them, then you guys may be just what they're looking for? :E

Golf_Seirra
3rd May 2012, 20:18
With Colgan going bust in the States, it seems they have found more than enough captains from their last interview session. Only problem will be how long they last, most seemed to be treading water and waiting for a better offer at home.

You may have some distracted chaps in the cockpit.....doubt they will unpack their bags.

KRUSTY 34
4th May 2012, 00:27
I've heard similar things G_S.

It's a big thing for someone to move literally to the other side of the world, especially when the move involves coming to one of the most expensive cities on the planet! Once the move has been made, just how difficult will it be to reverse the decision? REX will be looking for a return on their investment, and that will come at a price.

As for the employment contract, the new pilots will start at the bottom of the seniority list. This means that if redundancies occur, for whatever reasons, it's last on, first off!

Food for thought. :suspect:

Feetforward
4th May 2012, 02:10
Golf Sierra

In your situation you are obviously seeking answers to many questions as anyone would. Just so you can feel assured I worked with krusty for a number of years and anything he says u can bank on it. He will give u honesty & balanced viewpoints & facts.

Have you considered Tiger here in Australia. Some points for you to consider. (1) They have, or have had, a large number of South Africans work at Tiger. All great guys, all have enjoyed the lifestyle and to a man all have been totally accepted here and appreciated.
(2) Tiger is opening up a base in Sydney. As a result they are looking for quite a number of both F/O's & DEC's. At present they have crewed 1.5 aircraft for sydney and am looking to find more as initially it will be a 3 aircraft base with more to come.
(3) Presently the only base is Melbourne with sydney due to start on July 1 with a further new base in Brisbane opening in all likelihood within the next 2 years. (4) over the next number of years there will be expansion which of course will create more opportunities
(5) Yes if accepted you do have to self fund an A320 type rating. But if u are going to get a rating the A320 is arguably the best rating to have WRT opportunities worldwide
(6) not bagging REX (not praising them either) but obviously the pay & conditions are much better

If you are interested feel free to PM me (although I have no idea how that works as I have been a long time lurker here without actually joining)

Cheers

jibba_jabba
5th May 2012, 05:44
If you are experienced, then consider other prospects as well.
Rex people you work with will be great, its the perils of negotiating a contract before you get here, and the unknown factors that you will find in those contracts after you have signed will be your undoing. Unfortunately history has proven Rex managment to be "snakes in suits" and nothing other than.

I agree with your position to earn an income to support your family, anyone would, its the overall outlook of exchange rate, economy (Australia is about to plateu and head south while this european crisis hangs around), living costs (moderate to high in Oz), away from family and friends factors;

If you do choose to relocate, then explore places where the management are working a bigger ship, as Rex managment think that they are better than the rest which leads to draconian micro-mangement with a win-lose out come.

good luck.

sheppey
5th May 2012, 13:24
Additionally it would require the sanction of the union.

Does that imply in Australia, joining a pilots union before employment is offered, is compulsory? Wasn't closed shop union policy banned years ago? (CFMEU exempted, of course:E)

Kangaroo Court
5th May 2012, 19:40
How much does a typed Australian Captain on an ATR 72 make?

How much does a typed Australian Captain on a Jetstream 41 make?

I'm curious..

KRUSTY 34
5th May 2012, 21:30
I'm assuming you're referring to my post #31 sheppey. The sanction of the union refers to the enabling authority clause in the current industrial agreement. Opportuniy to qualify for command is based on seniority. If DEC's were sought by the company, and they were given preference over existing F/O's with the min qualifications, then union approval would have to be sanctioned to change the agreement.

Compulsory unionism has been all but eliminated in Australia. Much to the cheers of management. Ironically those same management groups heavy handed and uncompromising attitudes are what are driving people back to the security of a united workforce!:rolleyes:

Nowhere near as smart as they think they are!

belliott
6th May 2012, 00:07
Krusty,

Has REX mgt approached the pilot union yet about expat DEC's?

BPA
6th May 2012, 01:51
ATR72 Captain's at Skywest are paid F50 wages which is around the $100k mark.

Jetstream Captains are paid between $69-70k.

Tax will take around 35% of the above.

Kangaroo Court
6th May 2012, 02:03
I don't think they'll get many takers...

volare_737
6th May 2012, 08:20
Hi Feet forward. Do you work at Tiger ? If you do I would like to chat to you.

KRUSTY 34
10th May 2012, 07:44
The obvious answer is probably stacks! But is it that simple?

The incoming expat Americans may, or may not, be aware that REX are currently training 15-20 local Aussie pilots who already hold the minimum qualifications for command on the SAAB! These pilots were employed around 6 months ago when it became clear to management (the rest of us had known this for years), that the policy of only employing low or zero time pilots had failed in securing REX's future crewing requirements.

OK. So how many Captains do they need? 10, 20, 30? I ask because REX will need to promote each and every one of their upgradeable F/O's, ie: the 15-20 locals plus the small amount of existing qualified line F/O's, let's say 5 maybe 10, or so up to 30 in total, before the dozen or so American pilots. The reason for this is simple. REX have not approached the union for permission to employ DEC's. Therefore the only way they can offer a Command to anyone, once their seniority number comes up, provided of course they possess the mins for command. See where I'm going with this.

REX may very well intend to offer promotion to all suitable candidates, and in order of seniority, as they are obliged to. They've done irrational things before. The problem is, it takes quite some time to train a REX pilot. Only one simulator. Senior Check and Training Captains leaving for greener pastures. Potential training captains failing upgrades. Dozens of new hires sitting around on training reserve waiting for a slot.

The REX EBA calls for a training salary to be paid to new hires. Somewhere around a little over $30K P/A. Once checked to line or after a period of 3 months, whatever occurs first, the new hire F/O's are then paid the first year salary after that. So if a new guy is sitting around for 6 months on training reserve, earning pay for doing nothing, then cool. For the "DEC's" the question is, how long before you're Checked to line, and what will they be paying you in the meantime.

Needless to say REX can pay you whatever salary above the norm they choose, but be careful of any fine print.

havick
12th May 2012, 10:37
Krusty34.

Somehow I don't think the eba will stop them employing who they want.

What can you really do if they go down this route? I men in all honesty it will piss upgradeable fo's off, but I don't think anyone will have the balls to walk out if they do.

KRUSTY 34
12th May 2012, 12:04
havick,

I've always said that REX can employ whomever they want. After all it's their airline.

What they can't do is violate a legally binding industrial agreement, and if employing DEC's disadvantages existing REX pilots, then they will be doing just that!

If employing American expats, DEC's or otherwise does not prevent existing qualified F/O's from a command then there's no problem.

Otherwise, there's no neesd for "balls", just a lodgement of dispute in FWA.

SHVC
12th May 2012, 13:07
Krusty, At this stage is there really many upgradable F/O at REX???

You seem like a decent guy I fully understand you have chosen lifestyle over the big shiny Jet, I have done the same. But even you would have to be thinking of getting out of the circus called REX sometime soon

KRUSTY 34
12th May 2012, 13:45
The way the profession is going these days SHVC, it's possible you could be just swapping one circus for another!

As long as it's our circus however, I think it's worthwhile fighting against being done over.

Also, if you count the recently recruited, and currently under training, Direct Entry F/O's, there could be as many as 20-25 upgradable F/O's at REX?