PDA

View Full Version : Script problem?

G-CPTN
20th Mar 2012, 01:03
I've been using Firefox 9.0.1 satisfactorily for some time (months at least). Today I was refused access to BBC - 5 Live - Live Video Cam (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/) claiming that I needed Javascript enabled and Flash installed - despite this having worked previously. I restarted (rebooted) as I suspected a glitch, and was offered a 'Java upgrade' - which I accepted, and, after, I was informed that I had successfully installed Java. However, I was blighted with 'rotating circles' and sluggish responses when typing text - suggesting that something was running (a script?). Fearing that I have acquired a key-logger, I immediately started Malwarebytes (still running and nothing found so far) and also Spybot Search and Destroy (nothing found). Guessing that the sluggishness was due to some script activity (and it coinciding with installing Java) I downloaded No-Script, and, after restarting Firefox I was informed that No-Script was active - but now I cannot access BBC - 5 Live - Live Video Cam (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/) as it states that I need Java enabled and Flash installed! Now, as this sequence of refusals has just arisen I'm puzzled as to what has caused this. I approached the possibility of updating Firefox, but the preliminary screen warned me that I will lose several of my add-ons which are not compatible with version 11 so I chickened out. So I'm left without the ability to access BBC - 5 Live - Live Video Cam (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/) (which I used frequently and almost constantly) yet I cannot live with the rotating circles and sluggishness and blocking of text typing. What can I do? I have AdBlockPlus, AVG Safe Search and Security Toolbar, McAfee ScriptScan, NoScript (newly-installed) as well as Java Console (disabled), ZoneAlarm Security Engine (disabled), AdobeAcrobat, Google Earth and Update, JavaDeploymentTool, JavaPlatform, npFFApi, Picasa, ShockwaveFlash, Silverlight, WindowsLiveGallery, and McAfeeSecurityCentre (disabled). Sorry about the lack of paragraphs, but those that I have just re-entered have been edited out! PS The same denial of access is also in IE 9.0.812 (which I hardly ever use).

G-CPTN
20th Mar 2012, 01:25
Now I'm being denied access to iPlayer - it tells me I need to enable JavaScript. Following the links it appears that the ticks are in the appropriate places for Javascript to be enabled (apart from NoScript of course).

Disabling NoScript and restarting Firefox has unlocked iPlayer, but no joy on BBC - 5 Live - Live Video Cam (http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live/webcam/videocam/) - just rotating circles.

Milo Minderbinder
20th Mar 2012, 02:44
Uninstall / reinstall Adobe Flash
Don't forget it needs doing twice - once withing IE. once within Firefox

a&dcat
20th Mar 2012, 07:27
Hi G-CPTN
I was using Firefox and upgraded to FF10.0. My NO-Script then told me that it was not compatible with FF 10 and none of my bookmarks using script have worked ever since.
I changed over to Opera and I am pleased that I did, quicker to load and all my Java programs and You-tube movies now run flawlessly. I am so pleased that I changed, bye-bye Firefox.

a&dcat

bnt
20th Mar 2012, 12:44
I've never had NoScript incompatibilites that lasted more than a day, so far, and none recently. It only became an issue because Mozilla switched to a fast release schedule, and some plug-in writers were caught unawares. (Remember that it's the plugin writer who says "compatible with version x" or not, they need to say so in the plugin definition. The plugin might be just fine, with only the version number a problem.)

So, I say stick with NoScript, but be aware of what it's doing. It will block ALL scripts by default, for safety, so you need to tell it to allow them. It has an option in settings for "temporarily allow top level domains by default", and I have it set to "base 2nd-level domains":
- This allows scripts to run from the server that you went to, but blocks all 3rd-party domains. This avoids most problems while providing a very good level of security.
- But note that certain sites use their own "3rd-party" domains e.g Google Gmail requires that you allow gstatic.com, before it will work properly. The BBC website requires bbcimg.co.uk before video will work.

I don't know if I can put it more simply than that. NoScript is a great tool, but it's not magic. It needs a little help from you to cope with all the weird things that all those different websites do.

Cameronian
22nd May 2012, 08:08
I installed NoScript a year or two ago but I didn't understand virtually any of the optional settings or the consequences of any choices. It caused havoc with my normal browsing habits so I ditched it.

I've just revisited this thread (obviously!) and I know that almost all of those I trust recommend it strongly. I grabbed the bull by the horns and reinstalled NoScript but with precisely the same result as the last time (I can't imagine why I would have expected things to be different!). I noticed that it came with a few addresses already on its whitelist and, for a starter, some of them seem pretty dodgy already!

It has disabled my habitual BBC video news clips, saying I need to activate javascript when my understanding is that I had. Basically my knowledge is not up to running this program but if someone I trusted were able to suggest a full set of settings to choose on each of the option pages I would be very grateful to them. Then I'd give the program a try for a week or two and would either continue with it or ditch it again with no further ado.

green granite
22nd May 2012, 08:30
The thing with NoScript is that it's designed to block any site that is not the 'prime' domain, since a lot of sites use different servers for video content then you need to click on the bit that says 'scripts partially allowed' on the right hand side of the notification bar and temporally allow scripts until you find the right one, after a while you'll get to know instinctively which are the ones you need to enable. You may need to go into NoScript options to enable the 'script blocked' message.

Keef
22nd May 2012, 11:01
If NoScript (which I reckon is outstandingly good) blocks something, you should see the little bar appear at the bottom of the page saying "Scripts partially allowed" (or words to that effect). It will then also tell you what it's allowing.

Click "Options..." over at the right hand end of that bar, and see what's blocked. If you're brave, click "Temporarily allow all this page" and see if that does it.

It's not that Flash or JavaScript aren't installed, or are faulty. It's that NoScript is doing exactly what it should, which is not allowing that site to run them.

I have a long list of sites I've authorised, and a shorter list of sites that are always banned. It means some stuff doesn't run, but it's kept some 'orrible nasties out of my PC.

After a couple of scary experiences with Chrome, I have it on the machine but very rarely use it. It's in the same bucket as Internet Explorer (needed only for ordering new cars, because the old firm won't permit anything else to access the Intranet from outside). I'd not heard of Iron, but will take a look.