PDA

View Full Version : Boeing Quick Action Checklists

felixthecat
19th Mar 2012, 10:07
Can someone please explain what a Boeing Quick Action Checklist is…

I understand Memory Items and Checklists…but what exactly is a Quick Action Checklist and where does it fit in???

ImbracableCrunk
19th Mar 2012, 12:42
My company uses something I assume is similar.

It's a card that has what were "memory items" printed out and leads you in to the QRH.

We have it on the reverse side of our normal checklist. It takes one second to pull it out and presto, now you are not forced to rely on memory for what could be the most important switch throws in your life.

lederhosen
19th Mar 2012, 14:55
Sounds an interesting idea. Is there any chance you could post some examples? There will always be the purists that argue if you cannot memorize a few checklists you are in the wrong job. But which ones are included and how they lead into the QRH would be informative.

ImbracableCrunk
19th Mar 2012, 15:39
We still have memory items. But they have been reduced from many to just a handful that have to happen right now. Like rapid depressurization. That's still a memory item, but after the masks are donned/100%, you pull out the QRC and you have those and next steps available in a second. The QRC then leads you to the exact QRH procedure.

Engine fire steps are not memory items. Since you're usually waiting a bit before EFAH, you have time to pull out the QRC and read the steps.

This style of emergency response could prevent BOAC 712-type accidents where a failed memory item could have perhaps been prevented.

felixthecat
19th Mar 2012, 19:53
No the Quick Action Checklists are not and don't contain memory items…We have the standard Memory Items, but Boeing has Quick Action Checklists as well, though what the difference between these and normal non normal checklists is I am not sure.

If we have an incident that requires Memory Items we call for the Memory Item and if not we call for the Checklist….so not sure why Boeing makes a Quick Action checklist and where it fits in

ImbracableCrunk
19th Mar 2012, 21:26
No the Quick Action Checklists are not and don't contain memory items…We have the standard Memory Items, but Boeing has Quick Action Checklists as well, though what the difference between these and normal non normal checklists is I am not sure.

If we have an incident that requires Memory Items we call for the Memory Item and if not we call for the Checklist….so not sure why Boeing makes a Quick Action checklist and where it fits in

So, you don't know what they are, or what's in them, but you know what they don't have. http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

chimbu warrior
19th Mar 2012, 22:10
The important thing here is to differentiate between "quick" actions and "correct" actions.

Years ago, aircraft evacuation checklists (both Boeing and Airbus) were considered memory or recall items. After a few less-than-perfect evacuations, wiser heads suggested that it was more important to accomplish the required actions correctly rather than quickly. Accordingly both manufacturers re-wrote their manuals and made these reference, or read-and-do items.

Very few situations in an aircraft require urgent actions, but all situations require correct actions for a successful outcome. :)

Capn Bloggs
19th Mar 2012, 23:47

Sounds like a good system...:)

EW73
20th Mar 2012, 03:15
I'm thinking you mean the Quick Action Index, located on the front of the QRH?

This is simply an index of some of the more desirably quickly locatable NNCs.

In addition, these same NNCs are located at the top section of the relative system TOC.

Works well, actually

EW73

Xpatpilot
20th Mar 2012, 19:46
From Boeing QRH / Checklist Instructions...

Checklists that need a quick response are listed in the Quick Action Index. In each

system section, Quick Action Index checklists are listed first, followed by

checklists that are not in the Quick Action Index. The titles of Quick Action Index

checklists are printed inbold type.

Denti
20th Mar 2012, 21:10
The quick action index works very well, especially in an EFB based QRH where a simple finger-tap leads directly to the checklist.