PDA

View Full Version : Is it true that the Navy and R.A.F have a pilot shortage???

Rusty Cessna
20th Jun 2000, 21:09
If the shortage is true, then how do i apply for the NAVY A-level scheme now, am i too late due to the fact that GCSE are over, i am 16, have allready applied for the RAF ones, so am interested in Navy also, thanks

Rusty

[This message has been edited by Rusty Cessna (edited 21 June 2000).]

Capt. Crap
20th Jun 2000, 21:20
I've heard that too from someone at Cranwell, but they are also in need of Navs, a lot of them. It's not too late I don't think, but check it out at an armed forces office.

Juat a personal note here. If there is anyone here from Cranwell who took me around for work experience last week, THANKYOU. I really enjoyed myself.

Gimme300
20th Jun 2000, 22:28
well certainly from a Navy point of view we are short of pilots, observers, maintainers, engineering officers, seaman officers, sailors etc etc etc! At the last count I think the figures were 37500 serving personnel, but 40050 jobs - oops! Obviously the shortages are accutely manifested in the smaller branches such as aircrew; for example 10 sea harrier pilots equals 20% and so on. The problems again is worsened by the long lead in time to turn a civvie into military aircrew. I do understand that there is no shortage of volunteers however!

Tadge
21st Jun 2000, 00:52
The RAF should have 500 fast jet pilots but they have only got 400 and can't train pilots quick enough. They're looking at contracting out pilot training!! Nightmare!!

Peter Doubt-Slowly
21st Jun 2000, 01:02
Deer Reesty Cessna,
In my day, you had to be able to at leastspoll priperly b4 u joined up.

http://www.pprune.org/ubb/NonCGI/tongue.gif

Seriously though, DO NOT join up as anything other than a pilot, otherwise you'll find yourself writing back in 15 years time moaning about everything. Then rather than saying, "Doors to manual", you'll be asking "Do you want fries with that?"

Good luck Reesty. Pilot only.

PDS

c130lm
21st Jun 2000, 01:06
Reesty,

Yes very short, so go for it.

c130lm
21st Jun 2000, 01:11
To PDS

Dont worry 'bout the Ennglish, that's wot wee have ISS and Word 4 Windows for...

Nil nos tremefacit
21st Jun 2000, 01:15
Reesty,

PDS is correct.

Having been a nav (chopped pilot), always start at the top.

If you're seriously good you can develop an outstanding superiority complex - see first post on Single Pilot Ops. Even if you're not so good,it's better doing 'doors to manual'in your dotage as PDS is doing ('doors to manual' in a fighter is pronounced 'eject, eject, eject').

PDS is also right about your spelling etc. It will be checked during your training. I have known potential officers recoursed/chopped during officer training for some very improbable non-flying things. If you start officer training fit and literate, you're well on your way to passing!

Peter Doubt-Slowly
21st Jun 2000, 01:44
C130LM
Yeah, good to see you got the joke...NOT. That's why you're a LM (whatever that is).

Stop commenting on subjects that you know nothing about.

PDS

PS. What is an ISS? Don't you mean an ILS?

[This message has been edited by Peter Doubt-Slowly (edited 20 June 2000).]

Rusty Cessna
21st Jun 2000, 01:56
Thanks for the speellingg advicee, i shall check it from now on.

And i intend to apply for Pilot and nothing else!

So how do i get that vaulable G-suit then people??

Jackonicko
21st Jun 2000, 03:17
Young and keen, well-informed, nearly 1,000 hours (oh alright, slightly nearer 500!), ex-UAS seeks fast jet cockpit......

Does the fact that young in my case is post 38/16 and that the keenness is exceeded only by lardiness count against me?

Not that short then?

I cin spoll end uvreethung.

Talking Radalt
21st Jun 2000, 05:05
Hey PDS, Wise up sm@rt @rse.
"Loadies are thick" week was last week!

Junglie
21st Jun 2000, 20:59
Right, get off the net go down to the RN careers office and tell them you want a 6th form scholarship to join the Navy as a pilot on an initial career (IC). Don't listen to them when they suggest joining as a Seaman Officer or an Observer or anything else. Do not waiver an inch or they'll get you in driving ships and believe me that is dull!! Good Luck enjoy School and remember we need people with personalities so don't stay in every night swotting after all you only need two e's at A level( Get better than that though or the competition will beat you). Try to ignore all the negative threads on here it is still the best job in the world that pays too much money with no work!! Quite tricky to get there but hey if i can do it!! Trust me you will enjoy it, it will give you the highest highs along with the lowest lows and the chicks love the uniform and the flying pay pays for the sports car!! Good Luck

Corona Blue
23rd Jun 2000, 02:01
PDS I think you've made yourself look a complete ******. (substitute what you wish)

c130lm made a valid point and as you don't know the TLA and seem to have some sort of superiority complex you seem to just want to start a flaming spiral.

Please don't offer advice on things you know little about. Yes I accept you may be an experienced pilot and may have made money as a bush pilot but that doesn't qualify you to advise on all matters aviation. Let the likes of Junglie give well infomed advice without clouding the original question.

maxchat
23rd Jun 2000, 02:11
I'm a pilot, and I'm quite short I suppose. Guess you must be right then

Bill O'Average
23rd Jun 2000, 02:31
Again, I agree with a previous post with reference to PDS.

In this country we call it banter. It tends to be light hearted and those in the know get the joke. Lighten up, Mr Arrogant!

RC, go for what you can! Aim higher than high, you have nothing to lose. Even by reading our crusty bitching posts on the state of affairs, don't be put off! Believe me, it's still the best life around. Civvies in relation to us are having the same probs but don't have the personality to express in such an eloquent manner.

I believe in this day and age that on the means we have available to us, as individuals(the internet..etc..) that we can help bods see a more realistic view of how we operate and the problems we face, real world ****. This particular forum as an example. We are a recruiting agency with out even knowing it.
How many posts recently have been from young thrusting types wanting the gen on how to get on in this environment. I'm all for giving support. If those that ask still want to continue, having gained a little bit more inside knowledge into how things are really going, I say good luck and join the fold!
(As long as your not a sad ex-F104 bloke who seems to think that coming out with crap on a regular basis is the foundation to good 'humour' and getting in with 'the boys').

Just so you get the joke, PDS, that was aimed at you. Like I said before, you're making lots of friends here! NOT. Please understand the sense of humour before you post next time, thanks!

Vidal
24th Jun 2000, 13:54
Hey Rusty,
Best of luck and all that, BUT what are you thinking about doing IF you don't make it as a pilot, fast jet of otherwise in this marvellous organisation. There are many hurdles along the way to a brevet as I'm sure you're aware (which is why you should definately get a degree to fall back on). I wanted to be a pilot once, then my eyesight went t**s up and now I'm an air trafficker and I've got to say I'd rather be doing this job than many other I can think of-including commercial flying. Are you going to go airlines if you can't join this mob(or navy)? You don't want to do a ground branch job - what will you do if you get chopped? I'm not trying to put you off, I once thought the way you're thinking right now. Interested to hear what you have to say.
G'day. :)

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Jun 2000, 14:09
I am Archiving this thread in the Wannabes Archive for future reference.

I am placing most Military Wannabe threads there so that over time you guys can just point young hopefuls to the Wannabes Archive where they will find answers to all the stock questions.

This will free up space for non-wannabe threads.

Cheers,