PDA

View Full Version : Cost of ATPL through modular. Please comment WWW & Scroggs

Murray_NN
9th Sep 2001, 15:30
This is a price list compiled by me to finance my ATPL through modular route.

I will be doing my first 150hrs at Britannia Flight Training in the US and the rest at OATS.

Can you please add/deduct anything that I have missed.

*Hour building & PPL USA BFT------8500
*Full time gnd studies at OATS----5495
*Accomodation & food at OATS for duration of 6 months ground studies-----------3000
*CPL at OATS----------------------4920
*IR at OATS-----------------------13600
*MCC at OATS----------------------3831
*Licence issue medical renewal and examinations----------------------2500

*Miscellaneous expenses-----------????

TOTAL----------------------------*41846*

Can you add or deduct anything from the above list?
How much should I finance for Misc expenses?
Have I missed anything?
Have I over-quoted on any figures?

Thank you for your input.

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: Murray_NN ]

scroggs
9th Sep 2001, 15:57
I can't comment on the specific sums you've mentioned, but I'm sure you've done your sums OK! I'm also sure that you'll get many who'll tell you how you could do it cheaper or better. Anyway, it's your decision where you go and what you spend.
You've made no mention of flight/study equipment. I'm thinking of DR computer (CRP5 to some), calculator, headset (many like to have their own), kneeboard etc, etc. I assume you're trying to work out your total budget for this period, so you really ought to add some for entertainment - you'll need it! - clothes, transport etc.
I'm sure you'll get more suggestions!

mad_jock
9th Sep 2001, 16:05
You have forgotten to add in food and acc during you flight training.

Which could well be more than 16 weeks and i don't think you could live for 3 grand in oxford for the time you quoted. I don't think oxford has room on site for any of the modular folk to stay so it might be quite abit more than you think.

Good luck

MJ

window-seat
9th Sep 2001, 18:53
Murray NN,

I think you will need £5000 min. for 6 months food and accom. in Oxford. Will you be staying there 7 nights a week, or home at weekends? what about travel costs, books, exam / test resits, phone bill........the list goes on!

How much money do you live on now? You will find it very hard to manage on a lot less!

To be safe, I would add up all your costs, round it up to the nearest grand, then add 33%.

I have been through this process resently myself, and drove myself crazy with it all.

Good Luck W-S. :)

Murray_NN
9th Sep 2001, 19:50
Boy this route is getting expensive too!!!

Ok for food and accomodation at OATS I will round it up to 5k for 6 months.

and also on the misc expenses I will add another 2k for equipment, phone bill, etc etc.

I have already included 2.5k for exams meds and licence issue.

This will bring the total upto *46k*

How does it shap up now?

I once read WWW quoting a figure of around 37K??? How did you work that out?

[ 09 September 2001: Message edited by: Murray_NN ]

Murray_NN
9th Sep 2001, 19:58
I'm even considering now to do distance learning with Bristol Ground School which will save me around 7k.
Maybe I will do my flying with OATS.

MaxAOB
9th Sep 2001, 21:07
Once complete add 10% and you will be about on the mark.

It's painful but if it's what you want go for it, alternatively I would suggest becoming an instructor. Employers still want hours and if you don't have any other committments it is quite a laugh. Get 1000 hours of which the majority will be paid for, your employment prospects will soar and you will have much less debt and more cash in the bank to rent that pad near EGKK or EGLL.

:rolleyes: :eek: :rolleyes: :eek:

Wee Weasley Welshman
10th Sep 2001, 11:31
Well at £46k you could have a year in the sun for only £2k more...

If you are going modular then make it as cheap as possible seems logical to me. In which case it would be Bristol distance learning and brush up, US PPL and hour building OR done at local airfield depending on circumstance then off to a reputable smaller commercial FTO such as Mutliflight, PAT et al. By doing this you should be able to get things down to the lower half of the £30k's...

aces low
10th Sep 2001, 12:36
As a general point from someone who is half way through the route (PPL, IMC, 220 hours, ground school complete and training for CPL at a friendly northern school). I can only offer the following advice. It will take roughly twice as long as you think it will and will cost about 30% more than your original budget. The reasons for the cost and time overruns are fairly simplistic (broken aeroplanes, periodic 'colds' make you unable to fly, cash shortages, family commitments etc) and totally normal.While it may be possible to do a CPL/IR from scratch via the modular route in a year...realistically you would have to be very lucky and talented.

I had some good advice when I started out. Do one step at a time, and don't get overwhelmed by the size of the task you have taken on. It is not a race. You'll look better doing it in two years with first time passes than eighteen months with retakes of ground exams and air tests.

Chill.