PDA

View Full Version : Spot the helicopter...

GhostChups
19th Mar 2012, 01:19
Simple Wedding Photography (http://www.facebook.com/pages/Simple-Wedding-Photography/155308664507537#%21/photo.php?fbid=354374204600981&set=a.165873403451063.29339.155308664507537&type=1&theater)

When asked what the CAA planned to do with low flying complaint...

"while we feel the flying is a little on the reckless side, we are having trouble identifying the the helicopter..."

We can all fly like this, the measure of a true professional pilot is that he/she chooses not to.

helihub
19th Mar 2012, 05:20
and if the CAA cannot identify it from that photo, they must be complicit in the whole event.... Just put IPT in the registration box here (http://www.caa.govt.nz/Script/Air_Reg_Query.asp) and click the [Get Reg Mark] button

krypton_john
19th Mar 2012, 06:12
One careful lady owner:
Aircraft Sales | Skyline Aviation - Hawke's Bay (http://www.skylineaviation.co.nz/aircraft-sales/)

helidan30
19th Mar 2012, 07:02
was there, heli miles away seen pictures of red helicopters from a certain wellington based company who i suspect ghost chups works for in the same spot....case of sour grapes i believe

GhostChups
19th Mar 2012, 08:55
Sorry helihub but I was taking the piss, I’m sure the fedsare not even looking at it.

Wow helidan, I can’t believe you figured me out thatquick. Yes I confess I work for the RedRash and was hiding behind the bushes just waiting for a helicopter to turn upso I could snap a picture and sell it to Womans Weekly...

Or perhaps I am a retired airforce pilot envious that Icould never pull a stunt like that in my Bell 47...
Yep it looks miles away... “The chopper then explodedvertically up only metres above the crowd. Everyone shouted or screamed in surprise, shock and awe.”

I’m a “professional” pilot with many friends who are pilotsin the NZ industry. One of them sharedthe photo on stalkbook and since this is a pilot forum I thought I would postthe link with my opinion. Please don’tlink me to a company I have no desire to work for.
And don’t try and change the subject... I’m sure they have not got sour grapes oversomeone doing a wedding transfer.
Start another post if you want to trash the red rash.

pohm1
19th Mar 2012, 09:50
Try checking out the long rectangular button at the bottom of the keypad:ok:

P1

SASless
19th Mar 2012, 12:15
We can all fly like this, the measure of a true professional pilot is that he/she chooses not to.

With judgement and an attitude like yours.....I wouldn't let you near one of my aircraft or Pilots.....and you certainly would find a very cold welcome at my corner of the Bar.

nigelh
19th Mar 2012, 13:21
SAS maybe i am missing something because i think that is a very fair comment !! Any experienced competent pilot could do manoevres like this ...i agree . Most professionals chose not to ...i also agree . Sounds sensible to me .

griffothefog
19th Mar 2012, 14:40
Nigelh,

In that case how would a competent pro pilot know how to do such a maneuver if he hasn't,t done it before himself?

We have all done the show boating when younger, it's the nature of the beast no? :ok:

SASless
19th Mar 2012, 14:50
Knowing how...when....where....and why....to do such things is "professional". Pointing a finger and acting Holier than Thou is not being Professional.

But then there are plenty of "Cook Book" pilots out there.....that have never enjoyed flying.

Perhaps a dose of Bach (Jonathan Livingston Seagull) is needed here.

Griffo as usual....is spot on!

Quote from Jon......

Most gulls don’t bother to learn more than the simplest facts of flight – how to get from shore to food and back again. For most gulls, it is not flying that matters, but eating.

nigelh
19th Mar 2012, 14:51
agreed ..but many of us have done manoevres like that before ( albeit not over peoples heads ) it is afterall just a torque turn .....up to the vertical and then 180 turn and back down almost vertical ....a la crop spraying ??
The manoevre therefore is not in itself unsafe ...just wrong time and place in my opinion !!!!!

902Jon
19th Mar 2012, 14:56
Griff - Best not let that Halo slip :}

SASless
19th Mar 2012, 15:01
Nigel.....have you ever done crop spraying?

One would find that Torque Turns are not the best way of turning the corner at the end of a run....one can horse the bird around by torquing it....or one can "fly" around smoothly and keep the airspeed at the sweet spot the whole time....and be just as quick, accurate, and far safer....along with much easier on the machinery.

Griffo can attest to that I believe as Crop Spraying is in his bag of tricks.

Crowns and Griffo.....now that would be a sight!

nigelh
19th Mar 2012, 15:58
SAS Our posts crossed ...ie i replied to Griff before i saw your post ...
I get your point and agree .
Yes i sprayed when God was a boy ( around 1981-3 ) . The vertical torque turns would only really be used when field had boundary of v high trees ..ie you turned inside the field . I was pretty young ( 23 ) and no expert but i did stay alive even when we wrote off 5 aircraft out of 8 in 3 months !! ( Egypt ..cotton ). I too now prefer to fly as if i had a full glass of G&T ....

RVDT
19th Mar 2012, 16:52
New Zealand?

Keeping things in perspective.

~ 4.4 million people

~ 770 Helicopters

I am surprised anyone even turned away from their beer to notice.

Helicopters in that country are like ar$3holes. Everyones got one.

Most other pilots there would look at the behaviour and say "What was the point again......................? Ego needs feeding. If you dont feed it it will go away.

griffothefog
19th Mar 2012, 18:54
902jon.... Naughty.....

Nigelh, we must have met in a previous life as I was spraying wheat in Saudia in 1983 on a guvermint contract.... Round fields with a walker in the middle, the fields were upto a 100 acres :eek:

Sas, I remember turning the 47 flat at the end of a spray run and settling with power, stuck the nose earthwards and hit the ground running and escaped damage to both man and machine... lesson learnt... :=

That manouever in the pic is tame... :E

nigelh
19th Mar 2012, 23:20
OMG ....Griff, that Halo has well and truly slipped :=
I think Sas was talking about a slightly different manoevre ....not sure but the one i did was v v long slight flare at end of field keeping skids say 2m above crop then approx 20kt slide 180 using torque ....you keep some speed and lift , stay in ground effect and should be no power spike . If you are talking about a full on quick stop / 180 turn i think it could get interesting :ok: Anyway on another topic if you knew Dick Meston , i just went and had tea with his ex wife .....all the old photos came out from the old GSM helicopter days up in Ripon !!! Flying was SO much more fun then ....( but prob a bit more risky !!)

Hughesy
29th Mar 2012, 03:33
I was there, and it was not as close as it looks.
Although Im not a professional photographer, the zoom fancy lense thing ;) can make object appear closer then it looks.
You just have to look at the comments and upset Aucklanders who were "scared" when the helicopter flew oh so close to the Sky Tower on a photo shoot :ugh::ugh:
People often over react and misjudge.

Funny, I wonder if the company that has sour grapes ever got their toolbox back when it fell out of the heli and into the city.
What kind of flying caused that? hmmmm

Ghostchups....nice way to make friends in this industry. Unless it had an effect on your personal safety, why even bother bringing it up?
First post on Prune and your causing trouble? Well first post under this user name I guess.

Yawn.

:E