PDA

View Full Version : ICAO Level 6 Book

JJRMAD
18th Mar 2012, 19:19
Dear all,

As many other non-english pilots I'm going throw the ICAO enghlish exams shortly.

I got the McMillan Aviation English and Oxford English for Aviation books, but I think they aren't not prepared for Level 6, at least the McMillan's as it said in the foreword "...to get the ICAO Level 4".

Maybe you know any library to prepare well the exam to get an ICAO Level 6. I'd like to get this rate and therefore to guarantee not to take the exam regularly.

Many thanks in advance for any info you may provide me.

ford cortina
18th Mar 2012, 19:45
Jose, icao Level 6 English, is for expert speakers, not necessarily Native but darn close.

Judging by your current grasp of English, although good, it is quite away from Expert.
I understand you do not wish the pain of having to retake your Level 4 exam, but you really should not be thinking a book can get you Level 6.
The rules are there to make aviation safer, I have flown with Captains who's language skills were barely level 3 and in some parts of Africa ATC is worse.

I would not worry too much if I were you, you seem to have a good grasp and will pass level 4 with no problems.

zondaracer
18th Mar 2012, 19:50
Level 6 is usually for native or pretty darn near native speakers.

Spanish: Librería = English: Bookstore
Spanish: Biblioteca = English: Library

I have friends who are non-native speakers of English who achieved a level 6, but it often involved moving to an English speaking country for at least two years and learning the language by living it everyday. I speak several languages, and speaking by experience, with a book only you won´t speak level 6.

I recommend that you have a look at the grading criteria...
ICAO Language Proficiency Rating Scale (http://www.anglo-continental.com/en/uk/courses/aviation/ICAO-Scale.htm)

JJRMAD
18th Mar 2012, 20:15
Thank you for your prompt responses!

I see I shouldn't be so much worried, :)

(By the way, I really meant library (as a collection of books for studying or any other purpose ;)

Have a nice flights,

proudprivate
19th Mar 2012, 14:44
To get to ICAO level 6 as a non-native speaker (which, as hinted above, is a bit of a long term project when you start from scratch / level 4) I would recommend to

- Study a semester or two in the UK or the US (Spain has plenty of sponsorships for exchange students with both countries; maybe do an MBA or some other postgraduate course that benefits you in later life - or in between aviation jobs)

- When you are ready for them, study advanced grammar books such as Advanced Grammar in Use to polish your style
(no advertisment intended, do a google search to find good alternatives)

- Take the Eurocontrol spoof exams. Yes they are focused on ATC, but I found them very useful preparation for the exam as they set the required pace for the auditive skills.

- Collect 10 aviation related pictures and print them. Draw one at random and describe what you see in one minute. Record your description (with a voice-recorder or your mobile phone). Listen to the tape to see where you could improve yourself.

Please bear in mind that, irrespective of their ICAO English language level, no one really understands
- Stansted Approach;
- Eckhard Seebohm; and
- EASA