PDA

View Full Version : R.A.F Med. requirements

Rusty Cessna
25th Jun 2000, 16:15
Just a quick one people. I am getting a bit worried because i feel that i might be outside the range of medical requirements for FJ pilot. I would like to find somwhere that has a list of the requirements for all RAF aircrew jobs, anyone know where i can find it????

Thanks and i am also very interested in flying the new C130J if i could.

Cheers and happy flying,

Rusty

Swept
25th Jun 2000, 17:30
I would advise you to contact either your local careers office or ring up the Officer and Aircrew Selection Centre at RAF Cranwell and chat to them.

If it isn't too personal what are you worried about?

Jackonicko
25th Jun 2000, 18:38
It always used to be that you had to meet the medical and aptitude requirements for Fast Jet in order to pass OASC, since those streamed otherwise (or chopped) could easily fill the rotary/heavy slots without recruiting people specifically to do those jobs. I don't believe it's changed.

Don't give up on FJ, if you're who I think you are, just lose the weight!

bignavbag
25th Jun 2000, 23:17
To RC
Jacko is correct in what he says, also be aware they are $hit hot on your weight/ht ratio, dont ask what it is but go to your GP and take it from there. Basically if your fit, your fit so dont sweat it. But dont go in and shoot yourself in the foot by saying you had Hayfever once when you were 7 !!! If you do, you are gone as far as aircrew is concerned. Also get fit as you have to do a fitness shuttle test, you run till you drop, so a fit strapping lad/ lass like you should be up for some level 13 action there, also when you go to the hanger for the leadership tests the fitter you are the better the grey stuff works as your not tired. So dont worry.

I am pretty sure you have no chance of flying the " J ". It's still being accepted into service so that means no civvies, sorry.

[This message has been edited by bignavbag (edited 25 June 2000).]

[This message has been edited by bignavbag (edited 25 June 2000).]

YakYak
26th Jun 2000, 01:00
OK - I've just passed through RAF Cranwell myself and here's the essential numbers you need:

Pilot:

Weight: 56.8 - 94.0 Kg
Functional reach (shoulders to thumb-tip):
740 - 900 mm
Sitting height: 865 - 1010 mm
Buttock knee: 560 - 660 mm
Buttock - heel: 1000 - 1200mm

Navigator:

Weight: 56.8 -94.0 kg
Functional reach: 715- 900 (note shorter)
Sitting height: 850 -1020 mm (safe to be alittle bigger)
Buttock-knee: 550 - 660 mm (little shorter)
Buttock - heel: 970 - 1200

OK? Now here's the good stuff. They NEVER check your medical records unless there is aproblem, so if there was a little problem with hayfever etc DON'T SAY ANYTHING!

NEVER mention asthma, it's abar to all aircrew duties.

DO get fit, there's an ECG, and DON'T have corrective eye surgery if you have eye problems, as it's a bar to all flying duties.

If you're scared you may be alittle light, do hat I did and drink a gallon of water five minutes before your medical, to gain a couple of popunds.

More than that, concentrate on getting through the OFFICVER selction more than aircrew selection, it's certainly the hardest part. Email me if you need some advice as I';ve just passed it, OK?

Regards

YakYak (soon to be Navigator)

FlashGordon
26th Jun 2000, 02:02
Are you sure that the upper weight limit for pilot/nav is 94 kgs. I only ask because I attended OASC in '98 and the upper limit then was 90kg including 10% for flight clothing etc, which then, made me a little too heavy. If the upper limit is now 94 kgs, that would bring me within limits.
Cheers for the info
Flash.

chequesicks
26th Jun 2000, 02:35
Rusty
If you are seriously considering joining the RAF, despite having had access to this forum for the last 4 months or so, then you are clearly outside the medical limits old chum, as the clinically insane are unsuitable.
READ THE POSTS! This is not a happy way to earn a living. Please try to understand that I have nothing to gain by persuading you one way or the other, but I speak as a bloke who has over 3000 FJ hours in the mob and therefore feel qualified to comment.
It comes to this: if you know, in your heart of hearts, that you need to do the FJ thing, then join up, but do it with your eyes open, as this organisation treats its people like dirt. (You have, I assume, read the state of the nation open letter).
If you don't need to do the FJ thing, there simply is no reason to join a combative organisation, so stay in civvy street; it may not seem easy, but please believe me when I tell you that the RAF (or RN) is no soft option. I am not a bitter and twisted old chap; I have enjoyed the military flying and done a lot of reasonably cool stuff, but if I was 18 again (if only!!), with the opportunities that you guys have these days, all the sponsored 509s and the like, I WOULD NOT JOIN UP. PERIOD. Do yourself a favour - lose the weight and go see the nice people at BA. If you want to take this further, just e-mail me. Fly safe.

Rusty Cessna
26th Jun 2000, 02:37
Thanks for that YakYak, and yes i will not mention asmtha, but it was ringed on the initial medical form at my very first interveiw, so what do i do, just deny it>??

Thanks

Rusty

Jackonicko
26th Jun 2000, 03:50
Are you at Uni? If so, why are you not on your UAS?

If you're not yet old enough for Uni, go! I knew a chap who was classed PMU (perm. Medically Unfit) for aircrew at 16 (Tests in Advance) for childhood hayfever, joined his UAS, was 'kept an eye on' for two years, and has now just left the RAF after 16 years service, flying a single-seat FJ.

Chequesix is a blasé old fart whose 3,000 FJ FH have turned him cynical. Sure, join and you'll have to put up with a lot of 5hit and being dumped upon, but it's a great and rewarding job for a young bloke, 12 years is nothing, and even this forum might just give you the impression that you'll be surrounded by a great bunch of people, and that the cameraderie is second to none. (So I'm told). Flying airliners is for (and makes you) middle aged - and the money's no better than reasonable. Do it when your age qualifies you!

YakYak
26th Jun 2000, 12:15
I'd get in touch with your GP pronto, and get him to staple a big MISDIAGNOSIS form on your medical records. Worked for my cousin - as docotrs loved asthma in the 80's and diagnosed everyone with it - when often it was just bad bronchitis or similar.

Try it - it may work.
YakYak

chequesicks
27th Jun 2000, 02:47
JN
I'm not the type to get involved in a p!55!ng competition, and of course all the youngsters out there in ppruneland are just as happy to take advice from you as they are from any other semi-anonymous cyber-agony-aunt(!) My concern, however, is that too many school-leavers are susceptible to being hoodwinked into doing what I did and signing away the best years of their lives in exchange for vague promises of a challenging and rewarding career on the front line.
I don't honestly think that I am an old fart, neither am I any more cynical than the next man, but (without disclosing too much of a sensitive nature) you must appreciate that the equipment in use in the forces today is by no means state-of-the-art, and the camaraderie of which you speak has been eroded to the point of extinction, and replaced by a kind of corporate weariness. This is not the same thing!
I don't know where you get your information, or what your interests are. For my part, I truly don't give a monkey's whether or not Rusty joins up; I just wouldn't want to see anybody doing so without having access to the full picture. In my considered opinion, fast-jet flying is worth taking the plunge, but believe me it ain't like Top Gun. On the other hand, if you want to fly cargo planes full of rubber dog 5h!t out of Hong Kong, or indeed those alarming little egg-whisk contraptions, then you might as well do it with a company that will respect you.

kbf1
27th Jun 2000, 15:04
RC,

Just catching up on this thread so joining late. To further YY's post on corrective eye surgery, not only is it a bar to flying duties, but also a bar to joining the armed forces. The view of the Dir RAMC is that the long term effects of such surgery are unknown as the techniques employed in correcting actuity have changed a number of times recently and no long-term studies of more than 3-5 years are available. The other services fall (generally) into line with this thinking.

------------------
Remember: all landings are controlled crashes!

HappyChappie
28th Jun 2000, 04:47
Rusty,

I, along with many others, have read your many posts with interest. Indeed, I have responded to some, with the best advice I could muster from 14 yrs service. However, you don't seem to be listening very hard. The RAF needs pilots, and yes, some of our equipment is in need of replacement. But the thing that will not change, is the type of person who gets near that equipment. You are clearly keen as mustard, and willing to " sell your soul " to serve, but this ( as another respondant said also) will not do, alone. You really need some time to grow up a little, because I'm afraid at the momment old chap, Cranwell OASC may be as far as you get. The sad thing is, that a bad experience at OASC may dent your enthusiasm, or worse, leave a record on file there, which has an impact on future visits. Please listen to some "old hands" and take your time.

Jackino,

You speak on many threads with a high level of confidence, although I detect a lack of real hands on experience, am I right? If so, please stop trying to influence heavily youngsters who, know or have experienced, even less than you. Thanks

Wee Weasley Welshman
28th Jun 2000, 13:46
I am Archiving this thread in the Wannabes Archive for future reference. I am placing most Military Wannabe threads there so that over time you guys can just point young hopefuls to the Wannabes Archive where they will find answers to all the stock questions.

This will free up space for non-wannabe threads.

Cheers,