PDA

View Full Version : Skype problems

Octane
18th Mar 2012, 00:13
Hi, I'm using Skype version 5.5.0.124 and used to use it often with no problems. However in the past 6 weeks or so I've found it very difficult to make usable calls. Had the problem in the UK, Singapore and now Australia. I've tried using my laptop and HTC handphone with a variety of ISP's in these countries, all with high speed ASDL or cable connections. In each case I've had very good connections and both the laptop and the HTC give very good performance using the internet in general. It's got to the point where I've just about given up using Skype altogether. In the past I've had no problems making high quality calls. As far as I know nothing has changed with with my devices. I'm curious to hear if others have experienced a decline in usability/ have issues?
Any ideas/ suggestions would be appreciated.

Cheers

Octane

Loose rivets
18th Mar 2012, 04:38
Living in Texas, I'm alone without it. I just wish they'd charge a nominal amount - say a cent a minute - and use the millions to make the service more robust.

Some days, I can hear my pal 5000 miles away, swallow between sentences, but others, I'm really struggling to hear what he/they are saying. There's nothing more annoying than hearing one's own voice echoing back towards the end of a sentence.

Thank you Skype, but can we now have a professional service?

mixture
18th Mar 2012, 09:08
Loose rivets,

The inherent problem with Skype is that its design is "peer-to-peer".

This means that Skype actually have very little real control over the quality of your conversation because they are fundamentally reliant on the resources (or lack thereof) made available to them by other Skype users.

So when you think about the sometimes vast quality difference in internet connections, computer spec and computer load you'll understand its pretty much a lottery as to whether the chain of computers you go through to reach your destination leave you with a decent transmission channel or not.

FullOppositeRudder
18th Mar 2012, 09:34
I've been well satisfied with Skype in the twice weekly calls we make from rural Australia to family in west coast USA - provided that we use our copper cabled ADSL2 system. Even the video is pretty well seamless when we choose to use it.

However any attempt to do the same using the mobile telephone system at our end - ie 'wireless internet' - whether by dedicated dongle or tethered phone - invariably results in disappointment and sometimes failure even in audio only calls - video is out of the question. In my experience the limiting factor may be the quality of your first step into the internet system - or a possibly reciprocal limiting factors at the other end.

Failing that, there may be other software recently installed which is slowing down the computer's ability to meet Skype's processing requirements.

That's not a solution I'm afraid - just an observation.

Ad C
18th Mar 2012, 10:44
From what I have experience, it's very possible that a change in internet/computer situation at the other end of the line could also be the problem.

Octane
18th Mar 2012, 10:58
It's got me puzzled, I used to use Skype all the time usually with good results. I used various wireless links with no problem. I can 'talk' to the echo lady no problem but now I have to use my mobile phone for calls I used to use Skype which is expensive. Example, I used to regularly skype with a friend Australia-USA with ease at 2.7 cents per minute, now I have to pay >$1 per minute using my telco. I did upgrade Skype some time ago but don't recall if that corresponded with the problem. Perhaps I'll trying reverting to an earlier version...

Loose rivets
18th Mar 2012, 18:44
Thanks mixture, food for thought.

Even though I've an idea how the electronics side works - as opposed to routing logic - I still feel bewildered at seeing the active numbers heading towards 30million. Astonishing.

One thing that's odd, though no doubt confined to one small part of the chain, are my brother's calls from the Lake District. More often than not, when he calls, he sounds like a chipmunk. It's very, very fast and high, but somehow maintains real-time. When I've finished rolling about laughing, we reconnect and it's fine. Just what is taking place to give that effect . . . and has anyone else experienced it?

Slasher
18th Mar 2012, 20:14
Been using Skype 4.2 and never had major problems. Usually
try making calls at night here when US and Europe are asleep.
Daytime use can be a bit bothering sometimes but never get
any dropouts echoes or tinny sounds despite there being 30
million+ bozos online. Messages ditto but it could be I'm just
lucky.

Have never upgraded beyond 4.2 because the extra bells and
silly whistles I'm sure degenerates call quality and reliability.

Octane do you use a cam when calling? It might pay to drop
it for a while and see if you get better performance.

Octane
18th Mar 2012, 20:34
Hi Slasher,

I don't use video because I'm trying to minimize bandwidth. In fact I shut down just about everything I can. I'll go back to version 4.2 and see what happens.
Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Octane

Slasher
18th Mar 2012, 20:42
Yeh have a crack at it Octane but I iterate I might be just one
of the plain lucky bastards. Also try calling during evenings &
at night where possible.

Bloody thing was useless on a recent nightstop in Moskva so
my residential location might have a bearing.

BOAC
19th Mar 2012, 09:15
Possibly relevant? Euro watchdog: Telcos ARE strangling VoIP and P2P traffic ? The Register (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/03/16/eu_regulator_reports_on_euro_operators_traffic_management_po licies/)

mad_jock
19th Mar 2012, 11:32
they do strangle the VoIP.

You can get around it though by using a VPN into the main internet, cutting out the telco.

Both ends of the call need to do the same.

Phil Squares
19th Mar 2012, 16:37
I just made a call with SKYPE with no problems at all. I am using version 5.8.0.158. Had no problems at all. Good connection and speech was not distorted at all.

OFSO
20th Mar 2012, 18:22
Cannot hook my webcam into Skype. Skype on test says it's working, but not for a real call. And yes, I do have it turned on for use with calls. Mrs OFSO likes it off anyway, but as an engineer I would love to know why other users can't see me.

Audio quality ? Not bad.