PDA

View Full Version : FAA Instrument Rating

MoisesGodoy
16th Mar 2012, 22:03
Hi, I currently have a Transport Canada PPL and I am moving to Florida to continue with the CPL, IR and Multi-Engine.

I currently need information about the Instrument Rating, I see that schools have the Instrument Rating training on Single engines and i am wondering if after getting the Instrument rating, CPL, and multi engine, if I would be able to fly a multi engine aircraft in IFR conditions even though i have done the training in a single engine 172SP.
I need to know this information because I dont see any Multi Engine instrument course like there is in Canada.

and if there is wouldnt it be cheaper to skip the single engine IR and start my commercial and when i am finish do my Multi-Engine along with the instrument rating for the multi-engine?

I appreciate all the answers/help.

Thank you.

Kenny
16th Mar 2012, 22:44
It's been a while but......... if you get your initial IR on a SE aircraft, then you can only fly IFR on a single.

If you do your ME rating after your IR training part of the flight test will include a couple of approaches including a SE approach, which will then give you a ME IR and allow you to fly IFR in a twin.

This is a far cheaper option than doing all your IR training in a twin.

zondaracer
16th Mar 2012, 22:49
I was going to say exactly what Kenny said but he beat me to it while I was making a sandwich. :)

and if there is wouldnt it be cheaper to skip the single engine IR and start my commercial and when i am finish do my Multi-Engine along with the instrument rating for the multi-engine?

Nope, would be more expensive in most cases.

MoisesGodoy
16th Mar 2012, 23:03
Thank you guys very much for clearing this up, i was a bit confused.

Gomrath
17th Mar 2012, 22:48
You need to read up on the PTS as it explained exactly what you need to do.
IR PTS
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/media/faa-s-8081-4e.pdf

ME PTS
http://www.faa.gov/training_testing/testing/airmen/test_standards/pilot/media/FAA-S-8081-12B.pdf

Page 5 refers

B2N2
19th Mar 2012, 17:29
If you are IFR proficient in a single then it doesn't need to take a lot of time to transition to the twin especially if the avionics are similar.
There are obviously many different multui engine aircraft out there but if you look at the most common training twins; the instrument approach speeds are either the same or within 5 knots.
Which means you processor speed (brain power) can remain the same.
Here is an option that you may not have thought of yet:

PPL SEL
ME add on
IFR , about 30 hrs in a single and finish up with 10 hrs in a twin.
The IFR is a rating and therefore carries down and not up.
Which means if you do the check ride in a twin you get both IR ME and SE.
The dual training for the IR counts as PIC since you already hold a ME rating.
CPl SE
ME add-on to the CPL, which is once again all PIC since you are already rated.

The above option gives you more ME PIC time and is only a little more expensive then the SE route but not as expensive as all ME.

AdamFrisch
19th Mar 2012, 17:35
The ME IR checkride consists of the same as the SE IR checkride with an added simulated single engine approach in the twin.

proudprivate
21st Mar 2012, 20:53
The ME IR checkride consists of the same as the SE IR checkride with an added simulated single engine approach in the twin.
I have the impression that the SE IR check ride was a lot tougher on the IR part.
The IR-part of the ME check ride is mainly (solely) the simulated single engine approach.

I guess theoretically they could throw a partial panel at you during the simulated single engine, but I've never heard of that.