PDA

View Full Version : examiners - electronic reporting

Camp Freddie
16th Mar 2012, 08:47
I just sent off another FCL 686 to the CAA for someones PPL(H) skill test and as I was posting the letter, I wondered in this iPad world if the good old CAA have thought of intoducing online reporting for this kind of thing as I felt distinctly 19th century :)

anyone know if its on their radar?

CF

mad_jock
16th Mar 2012, 11:11
After hearing my AME swear like a line engineer after getting stabbed by locking wire when trying to deal with the online medical records thing.

I really don't think its the way forward. They don't even do anything with the bits of paper that you send in. When you get a license validation they refer you to ratings page to see if the pilot is current or not.

Goprdon
16th Mar 2012, 14:24
TS 10 can be sent only electronically to the CAA.
If you do not know what a Form TS10 is then this will not worry you.

mrmum
17th Mar 2012, 00:13
Earlier this year I got an email from Gatwick with the "latest" TS10 form attached and a short note, which implied I should have already known all about this form (and been using it?) for some time.
Anyway, that was the first time I'd ever seen it, seems reasonably straightforward though, but haven't had the need to use it yet. Any other PPL FE's used this instead of the paper forms and Royal Mail?

Whopity
17th Mar 2012, 08:50
The TS10 is not used by PPL FEs its used by FIEs and TREs! If you are either of these you would know about the TS10 as its been around for years. Nice to see the CAA are on the ball. I found I couldn't print the form because it contains CAA printer settings that don't match my printer!

Vortex Thing
17th Mar 2012, 16:59
Surely about time paper was banned full stop. The change to the new licensing system seems like and ideal time to change all paperwork to electronic only submission and put and end to this ridiculous usage of 17th century communication that is forms by post.

Can any instructor or examiner out there tell me that they would complain to have every thing electronic with the protection, speed, efficiency and simplicity that this would bring.

On top of this would welcome an electronic public access system with all commericial pilots, ATCers, engineers, instructors and examiners as everry other profession has. Currently every doctor, accountant, lawyer and a few others has a publicly viewable record or their status, accreditation and qualifications. Nurses, teachers, paramedics and financial advisors are soon to follow.

Would anyone see a reason not to do this?

Whopity
17th Mar 2012, 17:42
When I do tests I do not have a computer with me. Its a dammed sight easier and quicker to fill in a form with a pen than bugger about with a computer. I carry enough stuff in my bag without having to cart around more crap that either won't work, connect or has some other problem. I didn't get my medical certificate on time because of computer problems whereas the old pen and ink system has never failed. Please don't tell me its quicker because it isn't! I am not anti computer but can recognise that some tasks are still more efficient the old fashioned way.

Vortex Thing
17th Mar 2012, 18:23
An iPad is hardly heavy and or bulky. if you took everything out of your flight bag and had electronic versions of all documents then the only thing you would need would be a spare iPad.

No need for maps, charts, in fact there is no need in this day and age for any paper whatsoever.

Electronic submission is ineffective as it relies on the a chain of people to do something. You have to fill in the form, this is slow as writing is involved, whereas online method you type in CAA ref number and form automatically fills in student or pilots name, address and all other details automatically, you then type in your examiner number of even better you log on to your account and it fills in your details automatically. the submission goes online so is backed up. no trees are wasted, no stamps needed, no postal system needed. if you are flying somewhere where there is no GSM or wifi ( highly uncommon) you fill in the eForm and then it sends the next time you connect.

To be honest nothing in a "well designed and fit for purpose" electronic system is a problem. I admit computers have problems but these normally stem form poor design or training. they still as a whole are greatly superior for repetitive tasks such as form submission and I cannot wait for the day that envy newspaper, book and piece of paper is replaced by an iPad type device and paper is forex banned from this world.

The last two airlines I have worked for have transistion to class3 EFBs. every SOP, every plate, chart, NOTAM, memo everything is issued and updated electronically, happy happy days indeed.

taybird
17th Mar 2012, 23:05
I've had personal experience of issues with the CAA computer systems, and wouldn't want to risk my personal details and career dependent items being in their hands without paper backup and proof.

mrmum
17th Mar 2012, 23:15
The TS10 is not used by PPL FEs its used by FIEs and TREs! If you are either of these you would know about the TS10 as its been around for years.
Quite glad to hear that Whopity, I'm neither of those, just a FE(PPL), I was becoming a bit concerned I'd been missing something.

Whopity
18th Mar 2012, 08:54
An iPad is hardly heavy and or bulky.Indeed not, but it is expensive, you can't even plug in a usb connector, you are restricted to Apple approved programs. If people wish to play with expensive toys the best of luck to them, but some of us don't.

BigEndBob
18th Mar 2012, 17:01
Would have thought it would be rare if an examiner didn't have access to some sort of computer.
Login with examiner number and password to access then type in the customers caa number to bring up instantly their details would seem a logical way to go.

The only problem caa/easa would spend millions on it and it still probably wouldn't work!