PDA

View Full Version : Chinook APU engine info

gub
14th Mar 2012, 20:36
It has taken 137 attempts to re-register on PPrune. This is due to a failing memory, dyslexia and numerous other issues pertaining to old age. In a moment of complete insanity I have just purchased a little helicopter powered by a :ugh:...doh...solar t62 - 2a gas turbine (phew...that took some doing) and really need someone that has technical info on such a device. Here's hoping! Thanks, Gub. Formally known as 'bug' in a former life, prior to the divorce from a lady half his age and a loss of £100,000 - was it worth it? NO!

gub
15th Mar 2012, 21:58
Is there anyone on here with information about the apu on the chinoux

Gemini Twin
15th Mar 2012, 23:03
Auxiliary Power Unit (APU). - Boeing H-47 Chinook helicopter (http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/apu.html)

www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/apu.html (http://www.chinook-helicopter.com/standards/areas/apu.html)

Could start here.

minigundiplomat
15th Mar 2012, 23:41
1. Pain in the ass to pump up.
2. Works off pressure from APU start accumulator 3000psi, though the engineers will tell you '2-2 starts the poo'.
3. Sometimes the start module solenoid 'sticks' and needs gentle caressing with something heavy.
4. Noisy.
5. Once started produces 3350psi (the extra being for the engine start).
6. See 1.

gub
16th Mar 2012, 21:28
Many thanks for the info!.. I was told this apu was used in the chinook but the particular model i have is a t62t-2a1, the turbine looks identical to the one on the website you gave me but the reduction box on mine is different. I am told there is a temperature sensor mounted if the exhaust outlet to shut down the turbine if it exceeds a certain temperature. has anyone any idea if this is correct and if so what temperature range is acceptable. Thanks gub.

SASless
17th Mar 2012, 01:39
We used to carry a bit of stiff wire as a jumper for part of the APU start circuits....when they decided not to start for an over temp signal....that and a big Witch's broom for fending off a tail wind from the exhaust which would also trick the thing into not starting.

Yes....pumping said accumulator by hand....much fun!

unstable load
17th Mar 2012, 06:02
Try this, don't know if it's your version, though...

Download: Solar t62t 2a1 at Marks Web of Books and Manuals (http://www.imarksweb.net/book/solar+t62t+2a1/)

Rigga
17th Mar 2012, 21:14
The APU shuts down when the EGT exceeds 577-588 Deg C.
(found my Chinny notes!)

gub
17th Mar 2012, 22:38
Many thanks for all the info gentlemen, very informative will post piccies when i have it buzzing, Gub.

Peter-RB
18th Mar 2012, 18:43
Gub,

Commiserations on the loss of a younger Filly, but I would say £100K is a good price to get rid of an obvious problem, remeber one thing though

1. DONT DO IT AGAIN.....or if ya do cos we are all human...keep your purse closed, I say purse cos all us Oldies have one

2. IF YOU DO< DO IT AGIN...do it for fun dont get all soppy

3. Oh and change your will!

Peter Rb
Lancashire;)

sycamore
18th Mar 2012, 20:00
Don`t `buy`....just rent.....!