PDA

View Full Version : VC10 publication

101history
15th Mar 2012, 21:00
In the course of my endeavours to digitally preserve the 95 years’ worth of historical documents we hold on 101 Sqn, and which also covers the 45 years of the VC10, I am aware of the large amount of publications that cover the VC10 period.

There is a book, which was published in 1998 but is now out of print, which covered the VC10 from its inception in the late 50’s and its service up to the book’s publication date of 1998. This particular book, acknowledged as a 'superb' portrayal of the VC10 in civilian and military service may be available for a limited reprint if there is sufficient interest.

Please PM and I can provide further information.

I can confirm that I will not be on the end of any sort of remuneration; or even a bung!

Amos Keeto
16th Mar 2012, 11:10
I am guessing the book you are referring to is "Silent, Swift, Superb - The Story of the Vickers VC10" by Scott Henderson ? In my eyes, the best VC10 book on my shelves.

PAXboy
16th Mar 2012, 11:48
That book is a treasure house of the most beautiful aircraft.

Jhieminga
16th Mar 2012, 11:48
I'm guessing it's one from this list: VC10 Books and more (http://www.vc10.net/Misc/sources.html)

And I see now that it is indeed Scott Henderson's book which was published in 1998, so that must be it. I've got one already but I'm sure many would welcome a reprint. I like the Lance Cole book too but Henderson's book is more lavishly illustrated without any trade off in content or quality. Well recommended!

A side benefit would be that sellers on Ebay etc. will have to bring their prices down. I sometimes see them advertised for truly silly prices.

By the way if there are books missing from my list (see link above), please let me know!

srobarts
11th Apr 2013, 20:08
Does anyone know if the reprint of "Silent, Swift, Superb - The Story of the Vickers VC10" idea ever gained any momentum? I exchanged PMs with 101history but have heard no more and he does not appear to be active here any more. I have sent a recent PM but no reply.

ZOOKER
11th Apr 2013, 23:40
The book in question was published by Scoval Publishing.
I have met Scott Henderson on several occasions and he is extremely passionate about many historical aspects of civil aviation, especially the VC10.
In what will probably be the final year of this magnificent machines' service, a reprint, (updated, obviously), would be timely indeed.
Go for it Scott, you know, (and we know), it makes sense.