View Full Version : Pilot shortage in Asia (CNN)

Jet Man
13th Mar 2012, 08:52
Just seen an article on CNN.

Asia is forecast to need 200,000 extra pilots by 2030. They equated this to an extra 9,000 pilots per year.

I can't find a link on the CNN website yet.

I think these sort of figures have been quoted by Boeing a while ago.

Droste
14th Mar 2012, 02:19
Just seen an article on CNN.

Asia is forecast to need 200,000 extra pilots by 2030. They equated this to an extra 9,000 pilots per year.

I can't find a link on the CNN website yet.

I think these sort of figures have been quoted by Boeing a while ago.
This is only and will be true for experienced pilots with heavy jet rating.

kwaiyai
14th Mar 2012, 02:35
Its a forecast only but I would have thought you need Co-pilots too?

HighSpeedAluminum
14th Mar 2012, 02:46
Here is the link.

http://ht.cdn.turner.com/cnn/big/business/2012/03/13/inocencio-asia-pilot-shortage.cnn.ipad.qtref.mov

Captain Dart
14th Mar 2012, 03:51
The 'co-pilot', as you refer to the First Officer, is always only a 'heart beat' away from command of an airliner, including heavy jets with 400+ passengers on board.

It is in the interest of all to have experienced F/O's too.

dl_88
14th Mar 2012, 04:31
Not holding my breath on this issue.

Like what Droste said, it's only applicable to the experienced guys with jet ratings.

Jet Man
15th Mar 2012, 00:03
Droste

I guess so, otherwise there wouldn't be a predicted shortage!

Soab
15th Mar 2012, 06:17
Its in the airplane manufacturers best interest to spout such figures, encouraging naive youngs wannabe pilots to pay a small fortune to obtain a licence, then in some cases 'pay'' airlines to give them an endorsement and pay them rubbish for many years until they build experience, then they have to 'pay' more money for another airplane endorsement.
If there is a gross oversupply of pilots, then salaries remain very low. Airplane manufactureres want this.

I have not worked for a while, yet cannot get a job, because I am uncurrent, or have no experience on XYZ aircraft.

If their was a shortage, airlines (not just pointless crewing companies) would be calling me.

Still waiting for that ellusive pilot shortage.

Massey058
15th Mar 2012, 07:39
There is a pilot shortage in Asia, you clearly don't have to be blind not to see it.

You only have to look at each Nation's capacity to train pilots and the orders that have been placed to realise it doesn't add up.

However, there is no shortage of people willing to pay for any manner jobs and this to an extent disguised the situation. They cyclical nature of the industry which is effected by everything down to a monk sneezing in rural Tibet also disguises it.

But it seems pretty obvious the shortage has begun and it's going to get worse. It's just a shame paying to work has changed the landscape.

Soab
15th Mar 2012, 09:57
Massey058
There is a pilot shortage in Asia, you clearly don't have to be blind not to see it.

You only have to look at each Nation's capacity to train pilots and the orders that have been placed to realise it doesn't add up.

There is a difference between a pilot shortage and a 'projected' pilot shortage.
There has been 'projected' pilot shortages for decades, but they have never eventuated.

I hope there will be in the future.

Why are current pilot pay and conditions lower now than two decades ago (taking inflation into consideration).

Why are experienced captains unemployed.

Why are airlines not employing, endorsing, line training these pilots. why do many airlines, including Asia, require pilots to buy their own endorsement.

Why are Asian airlines advertising for pilots, but failing these experienced pilots on the Sim, line training, even medicals when they hold a Class 1 medical from a Western country.

Why arnt airlines employing directly rather than using these useless parasite crewing companies. Every week there is a new contract pilot recruiting companies name advertising for pilots for the same few airlines.

Until airlines cancel/defer orders, or park airplanes against the fence due lack of pilots to crew them,

There is no pilot (experienced or otherwise) shortage,,, yet.

I hope there is in the near future, but im not holding my breath.

Massey058
15th Mar 2012, 10:03
Soab,

As you have illustrated it's very complicated. But when people are flying duties in excess of regulations it is generally due to a shortage of crew.

The reason not everyone is soaked up is because some aren't willing to 'meet the market'.

Pay to fly and the disunity of pilots is destroying terms and conditions. Maybe when the shortage becomes dire and a singificant number of flight start getting canned then maybe, just maybe terms and conditions will improve. I wouldn't hold my breath though.

Soab
15th Mar 2012, 11:17
My old airline used the FTLs as a target not the maximum. But that was instigated by a greedy new ceo to get his bonus for cutting costs.
Pilots resigned and were not replaced. In this airlines case, not because there was a shortage of pilots available, but to maximise staff productivity.

Patterns were shortened to minimum rest whenever available, 5 hour each way return sectors, reducing days off at home base.
It changed from an airline I was happy working for, to an airline I wanted to leave, unfortunately, most other airlines I could potentially apply to, had already gone down this road.
Many are using this as their standard rostering system.

With a pilot shortage It may continue, until an airline gets so desparate it actually rosters pilot to have a normal social family lifestyle rather than just work maximum hours possible for the airline.

Even now airlines are advertising commuting contracts 8 weeks on 2 weeks off. WTF is that.
Engineers I know are 6 weeks on 6 weeks off or 4 weeks on 4 weeks off. Offshore oil the same.