PDA

View Full Version : Any gringos have an ARGENTINE CPL?

foggygoggle
13th Mar 2012, 01:43
Just wondering if anyone has completed the process to convert an FAA (or other foreign license) CPL or ATP to an Argentine CPL. Getting a Private Pilot license seems quite do-able, it's the CPL that is turning into a problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated, though here are the two big issues:

1. At the ANAC office they tell me that in order to get the COMMERCIAL license, I need to have my "titulo secundario" validated by the Ministerio de Educacion. However, since there is no "convenio" between Argentina and the US, they won't accept my US high school diploma - meaning that I would actually need to take the Argentine high school exams...sounds a bit like the equivalent of a GED. This seems a bit ridiculous, and I find it really hard to believe that it is the case - could it be true?

2. They also want the hours in my logbook to be validated, though as we all know, the FAA doesn't do that. Since I have my ATP, that should indicate that I already have AT LEAST 1500 hours, meaning that obviously I meet the 200 hour minimum to be a commercial pilot here in Argentina. Logic should dictate this, but alas it isn't so. ANAC said that it's necessary, and getting letters from previous employers (then legalized at a notary public) might work. But having flown quite a few hours in Africa as well, that sounds like a logistical nightmare. See any way around this?

Any other tips with the license conversion process in general would be greatly appreciated, although with the exception of the high school degree thing, for the most part it seems straightforward (albeit very time consuming).

Thanks!

themagicman00
24th Mar 2012, 18:05
I came across the same issue, this is what I did:

College transcripts/diploma from my school, signed by the registrar. Then took them to my state capital to get an Apostille, where they confirmed the signature and then placed an international apostille on attached page certifying the dean's signature on my diploma. Then in Argentina I had a lady (legal translator) officially translate my diploma. Then took the diploma to get certified the translators signature (the lady charged me another $30 for the job).
For the Logbook....drafted a letter stating the number of total hours the FAA inspector saw in my book. Went to my local FSDO where I showed my logbook and then the inspector signed my book...with a stamp.
Did all that in 3 months. Then the actual convertion took 6 months. BTW, unless you are argentine or a legal argentine resident, LAN nor Aerolineas argentinas wont hire you.
Good luck.
Themagicman00