PDA

View Full Version : Do the CAOs have an Index?

STOL Artist
12th Mar 2012, 03:33
Trying to study for ATPL Air Law. CARs and AIP have good and usable indexes.

CAOs do not appear to have an index, which makes it pretty hard to find obscure items. You are not allowed any tags in CAOs either.

So, is there an allowed index for CAOs? How do you find pertinent and obscure info quickly?

Hasselhof
12th Mar 2012, 03:49
So, is there an allowed index for CAOs? How do you find pertinent and obscure info quickly?

No.

Through study. Learning what sort of information goes where and how to look it up quickly.

Howard Hughes
12th Mar 2012, 04:30
This (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD::pc=PC_91044) is probably the best you'll get, but at least it gives you a starting point.

I would recommend having a good idea about where to look up things in:
20.7.1B

glekichi
12th Mar 2012, 06:23
Just beware of the misleading titles of some of those sections in the list linked by HH.

For example, the majority of the rules in Part 20: Air Service Operations, apply whether the operation is an Air Service Operation or not.

Go figure...

WannaBeBiggles
12th Mar 2012, 06:49
I can't find a link to it now, but I did find "amendment history" index which comes pretty close to an index, but never used it.

As mentioned, just learn how to find the info and where to look quickly and you'll be right.

be intimate with your minimum equipment requirements and F&D.

outnabout
12th Mar 2012, 07:29
There is an invaluable little publication available called The Pilot's Index - Where to find information in aviation documents. Covers CAOs, CARs, ERSA, AIP, CAAP, & chart legends.

Updated every two years, and available at any good pilot shop for under $20. Published by the Aviation Theory Centre.

If (for example) you want to know about LAHSO, you look up LAHSO, and the Index offers the sub-headings of: Conditions for LAHSO; Conditions for Participation (etc); Definition; LAHSO Approval (for Pilots: Requirements for Participation. Each sub-heading then directs you to the appropriate document, page, para or reg.

I recommend it to any student, or commercial pilot who is struggling to navigate the murky depths of the rules, regs, & extras.

(No, I didn't write it, publish it, nor do I have anything to do with those who did).

Hasselhof
12th Mar 2012, 08:55
I recommend it to any student, or commercial pilot who is struggling to navigate the murky depths of the rules, regs, & extras.

Except you can't take it into the exams. So if you are relying on it while preparing for a theory test, keep that in mind.

The best bet for my $0.02 is to try and get you hands on as many practice air law questions you can find, then while you are studying them, rather than just answering the question go out of your way to find and write down the specific reference that contains the answer. That way you'll be used to digging into the regs to find the answers and know where to look.

Bladeangle
12th Mar 2012, 10:28
Assuming your sitting the ATPL (A), for a start remove everything to do with helicopters, gyro, airship, air balloon, NVFR, GFPT, PPL and even the large multi crew pilot licence section in the O's. This will trim your docs in about half.

Be very familiar with part 20, 48 and 82 in the O's. With a little study, it not a very hard exam.

compressor stall
12th Mar 2012, 10:51
Whilst it's no use for an exam, one could web dump the CASA website and upload it to your iThingy. Presto, the entire lot in one spot, regs, forms, manuals and all. Works a treat, apparently.

Homesick-Angel
12th Mar 2012, 23:27
Although you cannot tag, there is nothing saying you can't highlight as much as you wish.. I have highlighted the entire length of the edge of the page for important sections . Then you just flick to it and find. If you were more organized than me you might consider color coding as well.,

Good luck..

WannaBeBiggles
13th Mar 2012, 00:06
Adding to what HA said, there is also nothing stopping you folding the entire section index of your CAR in half. Probably saves a few minutes over the duration of the exam.

I also highlighted index items which I frequently saw in practice exams so it made searching through the index faster still.

Homesick-Angel
13th Mar 2012, 03:29
I would also say that unfortunately there is no quick way to really get to know em properly other than to bore yourself sh1tless reading em over and over... And over..

PilotKarl_777-300
13th Mar 2012, 06:03
If you were more organized than me you might consider color coding as well.,

:E Seen heaps of people do this, it really helps apparently and i was gnna say the same thing as to what WBB said "nothing stopping you folding the entire section index of your CAR" Not necessarily the index but the important pages as well!

GOOD LUCK! :ok:

PK777-300

Kharon
13th Mar 2012, 12:38
Reasons many - but passing the exam is only a license to learn. You need to be able to not only find this stuff, but learn how to apply it, as PIC to your flight.

Quit trying to pass eaxms, try and learn your trade. Who knows some day the ancient wisdom contained therein, may just help you not to run into the bricks, or worse, a law suite.

PS Once the exam is passed, you have to live, like it or not with this LAW. It only starts with the exam, it never, not ever ends there, you cannot 'make it up'.

Think on it - try to learn what is reality against simply fiding a way to essentially - cheat.

Oktas8
14th Mar 2012, 02:46
Bit harsh Kharon. Carrying an official index of CAO's (if it existed) is neither laziness nor cheating. If I need the CAO's now, as an ATPL holder, I look it up on CASA's website, starting with a hyperlinked index of CAO's. How is that different from carrying a paper index?

Here's what I did, for what it's worth:
- study (obviously)
- focus on the areas CASA have identified as common areas of weakness
- study & carry only those CAO's which are in the syllabus - the rest are just distractions, until you land a job requiring you to know them.
- separate the CAO's with coloured paper (which must be blank)
- less helpfully, there was an index a year ago, and I used it. I suggest you do print out the list of CAO's from the CASA website, as an aide-memoire. If you've done plenty of study the slightly ambiguous titles won't distract you. But remember you can't edit or adjust the list at all, as everything in the exam room must be official CASA issue without hand-written notes.

Best of luck, although the law exam is not difficult & I'm sure you won't need luck!
O8

system.of.a.down
14th Mar 2012, 04:48
If you haven't already purchased the DAPS, a little tip from the AFT website which is worth noting...

Important Note: Departure and Approach Procedures (DAP) East and West is a permitted reference for the CASA Air Law CyberExam, however the main topic covered by the Air Law syllabus that requires reference to DAP East and West is noise curfew procedures and requirements. If you do not already have DAP East and West and wish to avoid the considerable cost of purchasing these documents, you should familiarise yourself with noise curfew procedures before sitting the CASA Air Law CyberExam.