PDA

View Full Version : FAA CPL single to EASA CPL MEP

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 12:14
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to obtain a CPL IR single engine FAA and then holding a ME class rating convert the FAA licence into a EASA CPL IR MEP going through the classic conversion process.

Thanks to anyone who has an answer for me. :ok:

zondaracer
11th Mar 2012, 12:37
In short: yes you can

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 12:42
Even if I took the IR checkride in a single engine?

zondaracer
11th Mar 2012, 13:06
Yes. If you get the Multi engine rating on your FAA license without the restriction of no multiengine instrument flight, then it isn't a problem. If you don't get the multiengine rating on you non-JAA license, then you have to do the full curriculum for the multiengine rating plus flight test in addition to the normal instrument conversion.

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 13:13
Ok, and in which case that restriction applies? Only if I do not hold a ME class rating while holding a IR?

zondaracer
11th Mar 2012, 13:26
If you do a multiengine addon, during the flight test you need to perform the instrument portion according to the PTS to not have the restriction.

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 13:59
Do you mean the flight test to obtain the ME rating or the IR?

zondaracer
11th Mar 2012, 14:18
The ME rating add-on flight test

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 14:29
The minimum flight time for the ME rating is 5 hours am I right? If after those 5 hours I can perform the instrument portion within PTS I am ok and do not need to get a CPL multi, is that correct?

zondaracer
11th Mar 2012, 14:58
The common progression in FAA training is PPL SE, IR single engine, CPL single engine, then ME-CPL addon. If you do the ME addon before CPL, and you do your CPL in a single engine, you will not have a ME CPL, only ME for PPL. When you do your ME Add-on, you must perform CPL items plus the IR items (if you want to not have the instrument restriction on ME).

AirGek
11th Mar 2012, 15:05
The point is that I am trying to save more money as I can. I do not care about not having a CPL multi, I will never work in the US. Which can be the best way to achieve this? Maybe doing the training for the IR in a single engine and just before the checkride flying multi engine (so combining ME, complex and IR training) and fly the IR checkride directly into a ME aircraft?