PDA

View Full Version : Using credit card for "free" travel insurance on standby flights

Dragun
11th Mar 2012, 09:12
Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone can confirm that the travel insurance that usually comes with purchasing your airfare using a gold or platinum credit card also applies to purchasing staff travel tickets.

I've done this before, called the credit card company and they seemed to think it was fine as I had an itinerary, however they didn't seem 100% sure (my hunch) so I was wondering if anyone knew for sure or had any experiences claiming on it.

Feeling a little uncomfortable doing it again without some rock solid information.

Cheers

VH-XXX
11th Mar 2012, 09:35
Which part are you actually worried about?

You are covered for when you've spent a certain percentage of the "pre-departure costs" on your card. Shouldn't matter that it's on stand-by except that you wouldn't be able to claim travel insurance for the stand-by flight OR accommodation etc related to it.

Eg. Get over there (eg. LA) on stand-by ok, but because you can't get a flight back due to loading, then you're not going to be able to claim for accommodation whilst you wait a week for a flight back!

The most important part of requiring travel insurance these days would have to be for medical and that would not be an issue.

Dragun
11th Mar 2012, 20:43
Yea the medical is the main concern. What you're saying makes sense, I just can't find that info anywhere so was wondering if anyone had any first hand experiences claiming on it after purchasing standby flights.

12th Mar 2012, 13:06
Most of the "free" insurance offered under a credit card only covers international trips purchased on that particular card.