PDA

View Full Version : OpenOffice Help?

BOAC
10th Mar 2012, 13:40
Anyone here familiar (3.3) and prepared to look at a simple prog and tell a beginner where he has gone wrong? The 'Help' system is appalling.

Guest 112233
10th Mar 2012, 18:39
Hello BOAC ,I'm on Libre Office Ver 3.4.4 (running stably for yonks) - Can we have some details please.

I'm no expert but I'm sure someone else will be.

CAT III

BOAC
10th Mar 2012, 19:19
Thanks Cat - I have both LO and OO. I will respond by PM if that is ok so as not to send folk to sleep with 'programming issues'.

Gertrude the Wombat
10th Mar 2012, 19:19
All three of my children have tried OpenOffice, and all three of them, after a few days, have come back and said "Daddy, please can I have a copy of the real Office"?

At thirty quid a go - around half an hour's earnings - it's a no brainer, as the result, in each case, has been that since giving them the real Office I've had to spend exactly 0 minutes providing them with support.

mixture
10th Mar 2012, 19:49
To think there are people here on prune' who evangelise OO and say its the next best thing since sliced bread, that it does everything MS office does and that it marks the demise of Microsoft.

Sorry, couldn't help it !

:cool:

Milo Minderbinder
11th Mar 2012, 00:19
Nothing fundametally wrong with Open Office / Libre Office in a home user / small business environment
I've got several 3-4-5 man companies using it. But all they need are basic word processing and spreadsheets. For that it works fine
I'd be less happy in a larger company, or if they needed more capable spreadsheets - but in that case there could be a case for looking at Lotus Symphony, which is an IBM fork from the Open Office code

Whats also worth thinking about is that if you are upgrading a small network from systems using Office 2003 / XP or earlier, then the training jump to OO / LO is often easier than the jump from old versions of Office to the ribbon-driven 2007/2010

BOAC
11th Mar 2012, 09:06
The problem I have been having is in the transfer of macro writing from VBA where 'help' support is frankly poor. For those who just need the basic 'Office' facilities in open source it is fine.

For CATIII- many thanks for the offer, but a noble OO person has come forward at last and put the light on for me in the tunnel.

Guest 112233
11th Mar 2012, 15:05
BOAC, I've PM'd you with a tech ref, before reading your last post. I wish you every success.

My basic is yonks old.

Mac the Knife
12th Mar 2012, 19:45
"All three of my children have tried OpenOffice, and all three of them, after a few days, have come back and said "Daddy, please can I have a copy of the real Office"?"

I'm sure its true but must you trot this little story out every few months?

My (and the neighbours kids) son has been using OpenOffice (and now Libreoffice) for several years and doesn't seem to have any problems.

Mac

Feline
12th Mar 2012, 20:28
Got to say that I personally did have some problems with OO, but have now standardised on Symphony which does everything I need. It's closer to Office 2003 but will open .docx documents - so I'm not complaining!