PDA

View Full Version : Passenger Headsets

damo1089
10th Mar 2012, 09:06
I am looking for good options for intercom headsets that need not have microphones.

There are no aviation specific, micless headsets that I can find on Google, so I thought some good options could be getting noise insulating, standard JBHIFI style headsets and a stereo to mono adapter.

Does anybody know what the jack dimensions are on aviation headsets and whether they are exclusive to aircraft or not?

Or have any better suggestions?

Thanks

cadetkid
10th Mar 2012, 09:31
Wouldn't having a microphone be useful for in cockpit communications? Id hate to have to yell at my passenger/instructor over the noise of the engine.

The Green Goblin
10th Mar 2012, 09:40
David Clark Company Model 10S/DC (http://www.davidclark.com/HeadsetPgs/model10Sdc.htm)

Most headset companies make them buddy. Google is your friend.

P.S They are ideal, you don't want them asking too many questions, you just want them to listen :cool:

Cadetkid, stick to your cadetship son :ugh:

damo1089
10th Mar 2012, 09:52
Thanks GG.

Yeah I couldn't find them by typing in 'aviation headset no mic' or 'passenger headset'

Now I have a model number I can start price searching :)

Vizsla
10th Mar 2012, 10:30
You can get a 3.5mm mini jack (standard headset) adaptor to 1/4" comms jack
CPC or R/S

cadetkid
10th Mar 2012, 11:54
Green goblin, I'm not actually doing a cadetship I just made this account when I used to be an air force cadet, however, I was just asking a legitimate question.

What's the use of taking a passenger if your not going to talk to them the entire flight (assuming it's a private operation, if it's commercial why should you have to supply the passenger with one from your own money)? Where's the enjoyment in that?

Thank you for your rather rude and abrupt reply though.

The Green Goblin
10th Mar 2012, 12:22
Because son, when operating commercial operations you may at times be required to give a commentary (or emergency brief) to your passengers.

You do not want them having the ability to easily communicate with you at times when you're trying to fly the aeroplane (or talk with each other for that matter via intercom distracting you).

Yes if you were just taking a friend for a jolly and they were in the right seat you would want them to have a mic.

This question and application will not be for that purpose. Someone wanting these types of headsets will be utilizing it for the purposes I mentioned above. The company or operator will be paying.

Thinking clearly now can you imagine flying 7 excited passengers in a single operating scenic flights with boom mics on their headsets plugged into the intercom system and operating into a busy CTAF?

Hence my sentiments

Fortunately on more modern aeroplanes you can isolate the intercom.

cadetkid
10th Mar 2012, 12:36
Once again, if it's a commercial operation (which hasn't actually been stated as far as I can see) why would Damo be needing to buy these headsets for the passengers out of his own money? Unless he is the owner of the business in which case then you have a valid point, but if he is just a pilot then the company should be supplying all of the headsets for the passengers and the pilot shouldn't have to worry about buying them?

I do not disagree with you about the 7 excited pax situation however, I could completely understand that, though my posts were referring to a private op.

All of this doesn't matter however because the original post wasn't intended to cause a discussion on the validity of different types of headsets in different operations. I merely posed my question as it wasn't stated it as for a commercial purpose and therefore my question would have been a valid one, if it were a private op situation.

Sorry Damo, I never intended to side track the thread like this.

The Green Goblin
10th Mar 2012, 12:43
PPRUNE - Professional Pilots Rumour Network

It's not Private Pilots Rumour Network. (Although sometimes I wonder).

Therefore, one would assume this was regarding a professional operation and the said poster was acting on behalf or was the employer?

Asking for advice on such equipment (when considering most machines in the charter game have them for passengers), one would assume this was regarding a professional operation and the said poster was acting on behalf or was the employer?

If it were for a private operation one could also assume it would be posted in the private pilot forum?

It would not be for a private operation for the reasons you mentioned :ok: (unless the bloke wants some peace from the mrs and kids)

cadetkid
10th Mar 2012, 12:50
DG&P General Aviation & Questions The place for students, instructors and charter guys.

Really could be anybody could it not? A student is not a professional pilot, and a student could be anybody ranging from a fresh ab initio through to a pilot just about to complete a cpl.

In regards to the private flying forum, considering he was asking about where to buy, and mentioned buying from jb hifi would show that he is potentially looking to buy local and not online, in which case it would be more appropriate in the country specific forum rather then the private flying forum in which anybody from anywhere could reply to the thread.

The Green Goblin
10th Mar 2012, 12:56
It's a place for students to speak to professional pilots about issues in this patch of turf.

Straws springs to mind :D

cadetkid
10th Mar 2012, 13:00
I'm not sure I understand the straws reference?

I am still a student and I was asking a professional pilot a question in my first post based on the information provided and the way I perceived it. I'm sorry if that was an issue?

damo1089
10th Mar 2012, 13:20
Yeah we have headsets in the planes with no mics and one way communication is all that is needed, so I can tell my passengers what they are looking at and whats up if the **** hits the fan, but they are going bad and I told my CFI I would do some research as to what to replace them with.

Sometimes when they are right behind you they tap you and ask questions about really prominent features that I am very obviously going to talk about anyway, plus talking during radio communication would become quite an issue.

In the pax compartment of the 207 there are only headphone jacks anyway, so the majority of intercom systems in larger aircraft, id imagine, are probably all one way.

Tinstaafl
10th Mar 2012, 17:20
A Panther Navajo I manage has a nice intercom system: I can isolate myself while everyone else chatters away, myself + copilot leaving the pax to chatter, or have everyone combined. Even better, there are two audio input jacks. One in the cockpit, and one for the pax. When I isolate pilot or crew we can have our own music. The audio input mutes for any radio or intercom sound.

If I have chatty pax I tell them that when I'm busy they can expect me to cut them out of my intercom loop.

InTheWeeds
10th Mar 2012, 20:43
Cadetkid,

I thought your input was valid.

Don't worry about old mate's carry on. I read some of his other posts there is a trend of him posting harsh belittling comments to the younger lads.

Another elitist airline pilot who thinks his :mad: doesn't stink because he can sit at FL nosebleed wishing he could remember what it was like to touch the flight controls...

ITW
Professional Pilot - but not a :mad:wit about it....

PilotKarl_777-300
11th Mar 2012, 03:19
Looks like we have a Mexican stand off on our hands :E

Tinstaafl Well said :ok: Not too sure if all G1000's are same in respect to the intercom system but i remember flying an aircraft which allowed me to isolate the Mic from the pax too just the pilot! :)

PK777-300.

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 03:46
Yeah we have headsets in the planes with no mics and one way communication is all that is needed, so I can tell my passengers what they are looking at and whats up if the **** hits the fan, but they are going bad and I told my CFI I would do some research as to what to replace them with.

Sometimes when they are right behind you they tap you and ask questions about really prominent features that I am very obviously going to talk about anyway, plus talking during radio communication would become quite an issue.

In the pax compartment of the 207 there are only headphone jacks anyway, so the majority of intercom systems in larger aircraft, id imagine, are probably all one way.

And there it is cadetkid. My intuition was correct.

The straws comment was in reference to 'clutching at straws'.

In the weeds, how can you tell when a helicopter pilot is in the room? You can't, they tell you :ok:

Take a look in the mirror and try not to give yourself the thumbs up hey :}

My history on here is one of helping the younger fellas, however, having done it the hard way I can sniff bull**** a mile away.

It's up to the individual if they want to listen and learn. I'm happy to impart knowledge to those who seek. I'm also very happy to admit when I'm wrong and learn as I progress in my career.

I have learnt much on this board since the start of the last decade.

cadetkid
11th Mar 2012, 04:15
Fair enough, you were correct, however, as I have said a few times now, at the time of the original post that information was not presented, so my question was a fair one. Now it has been pointed out he is acting on behalf of his CFI, I can see where my original post was wrong, and I have no issue in admitting that.

It's always up to an individual to listen and learn, I agree, however with your frankly rather rude attitude that comes across in your posts, I'm surprised any young person would listen to you in the first place :ugh: Had you politely pointed out the error in my first post (which I can happily admit i was wrong about, I never said I wasn't), rather than being a :mad: about it, we wouldn't have an issue. Had you said, "this is most likely to be a commercial question cadet kid, in which passengers in the back won't need a mic, however if it were a private operation it would be beneficial to have that mic there" straight up, then there wouldn't have been a debate. However you came right out of the gates with an insult, and have carried that attitude in every post, which is not only rude and condescending, but it shows how little you think of others that aren't at your level of experience.

By all means help the young fellas as you put it, but think about the way you are going to talk to them first..... :rolleyes:

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 04:28
I apologize for bruising your fragile ego. Get used to it in this industry, else you won't last ten minutes.

I thought you would have seen common sense after my second post.

The poster never mentioned paying for it himself, he never mentioned it was for a private operation and frankly I thought it was ludicrous that you even tried to argue the point when presented with obvious facts.

This is not high school and he said she said. It's the real world buddy where you need to think on your feet.

I also find it absurd that I am wasting my time discussing this further.

Happy days.

"click" :hmm:

morno
11th Mar 2012, 04:29
I vote 1, Green Goblin.

Cadetkid, go away. It's dribble that people like you post, that annoys the crap out of me.

Answer the mans question, rather than asking why he (when you don't even know who he is) is purchasing them and why you would want them.

morno

cadetkid
11th Mar 2012, 04:35
It's no wonder people are afraid to ask questions on this site when they have to deal with people like you.

I'm done with dealing with elitists. Have a nice day folks.

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 05:53
http://s1.static.gotsmile.net/images/2011/10/13/waaambulance_131849927469.jpg

wishiwasupthere
11th Mar 2012, 05:54
So, about these headsets without microphones........:rolleyes:

j3pipercub
11th Mar 2012, 07:04
Id hate to have to yell at my passenger/instructor over the noise of the engine.

Ummmm, Isn't that the point of giving them a headset without a mic, so you DON'T have to yell at them.

j3

Woodwork
11th Mar 2012, 08:21
I'm sure he imagined himself wearing the mic-less headset.

Someone back on page 1 said they'd want such a device for issuing safety briefs: Nice idea, but safety briefs should, in best practice, include an acknowledgement from the passenger that they have understood and present an opportunity for the passenger to ask questions. Can't do that if you can't talk, nor could a pax say "I say Biggles, is that cloud of black smoke meant to be pouring out the back of Number 2, what?" - which I'm sure no Omnipotent God of the Sky who frequents PPrune would need, but I have heard there are some pilots out there who might not be PPruners... :ooh:

A smart comms box that can cut the pilot clear of cabin chatter when he needs to is a better idea, albeit more expensive, and means I have a cabin full of spares when mine ****s itself mid-flight.

But it did feel good to be rude to cadetkid, didn't it? I wish I could join in but I'm short of witty retorts :sad:

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 10:23
In the weeds, how can you tell when a helicopter pilot is in the room? You can't, they tell

You know when the airline pilots walk in, they are the punters winging and whining that the only thing decreasing faster than their terms and conditions is their ability to fly....

Take a look in the mirror and try not to give yourself the thumbs up hey

What can I say mate... I like what I see!

http://www.travelsnitch.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/TS_airplane_autopilot.jpg
Just because you don't...don't bring your hate on me...:=

jas24zzk
11th Mar 2012, 11:05
Oh GOD!!!!

ITW, you owe me a new box of tissues, that was too funny! :ok:

I could quote a lot of people on this one, as some valid points. But a point of disagreement that shouldn't exist, is the difference between the need of cutting the Pax out of the Tx loop for private vs commercial ops.
There is no difference in either operation in this facet.

If you think there is, then please explain to me the operational difference in the following situation

I'm doing City orbits in melbourne with my family (pvt op)
Joe from MB is doing the same (chtr op)

Where is the difference in comms req'd ?????
Sorry but the argument of cutting down the pvt op just doesn't wash with me, esp given some of the pro pundits attitudes around here of pvt op's not being pro enough for them.

Woodwork has mentioned the best idea, selectable intercomm. I've flown with some of these, and whilst they are good, they are not ideal.
2 position. Crew/all.
Most times on these flights, the guy in the RH seat isn't crew, he wants to natter with the GIB's about how full the MCG is today.
Those intercom's need 3 positions... Pilot/crew/all. (they prolly exist, just never flown one yet)

Woody also makes a vaild point about the pax having fully functional headsets to replace his in the case of a failure. Had that happen to me before, (more than once) I doubt anyone here has never had a headset failure, excepting the overpaid ones that buy a new headset every year.

The original post.........should have maybe been in pvt ops?? PFFFFFFFFTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Seriously, I'm an aussie, i live in ozland, i want to buy in ozland, i'm gunna ask in the Australian section, and poo to anyone that thinks that wrong. I know the supplier will be happy!

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 11:25
What can I say mate... I like what I see!

I know you do, but you should stop posting videos about yourself on youtube :cool:

U6nFl21kpaw

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 11:35
You do know that the whole premise of that video was pulling the piss out of fast jet drivers...

Watch it again...After this one..

ICEMAN - The Later Years - Video (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/5663618/iceman_the_later_years/)

I would love to be that cool...but poor old me had the skills, co-ordination and shameless good looks required to hover...:ok:

jas24zzk
11th Mar 2012, 11:45
Video response score

Goblin. 0 (not funny....very corny tho)
ITW. 1 (hilarious, did always wonder what happened to that upstart plick)

Topic score. -5 for the both of you :D

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 11:45
I would love to be that cool...but poor old me had the skills, co-ordination and shameless good looks required to hover...

And we have the photo to prove it :hmm:

http://i976.photobucket.com/albums/ae242/FoPCAF/IMG_1393.jpg

The fourth bar gets worn at the bar :cool:

jas24zzk
11th Mar 2012, 11:47
oh come on goblin, that ones been done to death...good informative thread that one

Straws?

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 12:04
http://static.lifeislocal.com.au/multimedia/images/full/985422.jpg

Keep your head down, work hard, be nice to your mother GG.... one day you might wake up and find yourself FLYING.

Also your parents can be proud of their sons career, and can stop telling their mates at the bowls club that you are a real estate agent...because the truth is far worse.....:}

kellykelpie
11th Mar 2012, 12:08
Sounds like GG has a chip on his shoulder and like morno got the last two letters of his name back the front

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 12:25
I've got more "real" flying time in a 210 weed man than you as a millitary pilot will fly in your entire career :cool:

Sad but true.

In fact your "real" flying time will only qualify you as a first officer on a super puma. I've spent many a day in places like Timor listening to ex black hawk guys waffle on about how they should be captains as they used to fly black hawks there at night. Now they feel totally demorilized as the captain won't even give them a landing (due to their inexperience) :ok:

So yes, enjoy your "real" flying as a public servant and I'll enjoy my lofty perch and the lifestyle it affords me. If I want to do some "real" flying, I can afford to grab a bonanza and go shoot off for a naughty weekend. You can't, your licence isn't recognized :D

Oh and real flying? It's Certainly not VFR in a chopper for a couple of hundred hours a year under millitary supervision and risk assessment. If you want to do some real flying, go do some mustering. You might learn a thing or three (and some humility) :ok:

jas24zzk
11th Mar 2012, 12:34
ITW, GG,
as amusing as your personal trade offs are....prolly time you guys took it private, before the mods close what could be a productive thread.

Failing that, start a new thread GG Vs ITW, and we can all come in make special comments and grade your responses without compromising quality threads.

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 12:38
Geez... Bitter much?

Did recruiting brief you on the reason they found you unsuitable, or did they just tell you no...and give you the number of Jimmy Magoofa who needed help flying his 210?

Oh...and there I more to a rewarding career than hours in your logbook my friend...Did you chat to the hawk drivers who plucked punters of the roofs of houses in SE QLD? You're the expert, tell me, how do I log the expression on the face of someone who is alive because some 'public servant' risked their life to hoist them off their roof during a thunderstorm?

Enjoy your lifestyle while it lasts...I don't see many Helicopter cadetships springing up...do you?

(Hate to burst your bubble - but CASA recoginises our licenses...poor research bro...)

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 12:51
You should go tell Ben Robert-Smith that he is a public servant, one of the many brave selfless men that secured your "lifestyle"

See how that works out for you.

You disrespectful :mad:

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 13:38
Well you insulted the flying skills of an airline pilot. Its okay when you are dishing out though, so I thought It was time to point out a couple of home truths.

If you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.

Yes you are a public servant. You chose to be there, you are not doing what you do for charity, nobody forced you to be there. You are paid to be there just like I am and you use your skills just like I do, to do your job to the best of your ability. You signed on the dotted line and if you didn't, some other young whipper snapper would have been sitting in your seat thinking they were the ****.

You also chose to butt in and have a sly dig at me in a conversation that was not of your business.

Next time mind your own business.

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 13:45
And pul-lease, Ben Robert-Smith has nothing to do with this.

That's like me saying "you inconsiderate prick, how about you tell Captain Sully that he should do some real flying"

You and Ben Robert Smith are like me and Neil Armstrong.

InTheWeeds
11th Mar 2012, 21:08
I'll take heat directed at me sport - like I did in your other posts...however when you compare the ADF to centre link that 's rubbish champ.

The Green Goblin
11th Mar 2012, 21:49
You serve Australia.

You are paid for by Australian taxpayers.

You operate in the interests of the Australian public.

You are a public servant plain and simple. You can either do this with honour or claim you are superior to somebody working at centrelink who is also a public servant doing a different job towards a similar cause.

And when did I compare you to centrelink? Apart from the above in reference to your comparison. Is a public servant in another government department beneathe you?

It sounds like you are throwing curve balls trying to steer a debate in a more sympathetic and favourable direction.

In the weeds? I think you're "on the weed" ok:

j3pipercub
11th Mar 2012, 21:56
ITW,

The arrogance you are displaying here is quite breathtaking. You are giving your colleagues a very bad name with your performance on an anonymous forum that is frequented mainly by the 'lowly of the low civillian pilots who couldn't pass flight screening'. The last comment was paraphrasing your words.

May I suggest you walk away and take a breath before you put both feet in your mouth simultaneously? Using the recently controversial topic of Cpl Robert-Smith in a topic about headsets? Really?

j3

InTheWeeds
12th Mar 2012, 00:12
Is a public servant in another government department beneathe you?

Not beneath me, my issue is that soldiers are not public servants...They are soldiers. We do different jobs. Like me lumping GG in with his cabin crew. They are both paid by the same organisation - they don't do the same job, and Im sure that GG doesn't think that his crew are beneath him either.

'lowly of the low civillian pilots who couldn't pass flight screening'. The last comment was paraphrasing your words.

The point that you were 'paraphrasing' was directed at GG alone...I aplogise if you have inferred an insult that wasn't meant to be there. However why is it whenever a military pilot even thinks about mentioning the entry standards or tells a GA pilot that the military does something a different way we are arrogant, elitist, bullies kicking sand in the face of GA pilots? Come on lads...

I never said that I was like RS, Im far from it...I just see him as the biggest (well known) example of 'not a public servant'... And I would love to see someone tell that unit that he is a public servant...

InTheWeeds
12th Mar 2012, 00:18
This research took me 30 seconds off google mate:

Civil service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_service)

From the above:

A civil servant or public servant is a person in the public sector employed for a government department or agency. The term explicitly excludes the armed services.

Don't you have a meal service to take care of GG?

j3pipercub
12th Mar 2012, 01:48
ITW,

I never said you were elitist, or a bully. I will answer your question with a question though...

Why is it that whenever an ADF pilot mentions the entry standard, they think that by becoming a D-Cat on something, they are far superior to the Civvie guys? I agree that you are the best of the best of those who applied, nothing more. If one could spend as much on civilian training as you had spent on yours, I think the end product would be similar.

It takes different kinds of abilities and strengths to succeed in both streams, but because one is different from the other, both have this need to demonstrate that they are BETTER than the other lot.

Furthermore, you have been very hostile towards Civvies, ever since you first commented on this thread and not just toward GG...

Another elitist airline pilot who thinks his doesn't stink because he can sit at FL nosebleed wishing he could remember what it was like to touch the flight controls...My bolding. Another one hey? So there's heaps of them? I love generalisations, my turn;

Would that be like me saying, you're another camo wearing monosyllabic knuckle dragger that thinks his sh1t don't stink cos he can fly a helicopter wishing he knew what it was like to talk to sober women? Make your blood boil much? Do you get my point? That is the opposite of what I think of the ADF though.

only thing decreasing faster than their terms and conditions is their ability to fly.... That's two comments about flying ability, got tickets on yourself there?

I would love to be that cool...but poor old me had the skills, co-ordination and shameless good looks required to hover... Thats right, I forgot that you were born with skills as opposed to acquiring them.

Also your parents can be proud of their sons career, and can stop telling their mates at the bowls club that you are a real estate agent...because the truth is far worse..... Hmmmmm. that may have been directed at GG, but it infers that being a civvie pilot is something to be ashamed of. Thats like me saying your parents tell everyone that you got your first preference after flight screening and are in the RAAF...

Enjoy your lifestyle while it lasts...I don't see many Helicopter cadetships springing up...do you? I have actually seen quite a few being tabled recently, Bristow was one of them, I believe CHC was also looking at it.

one of the many brave selfless men that secured your "lifestyle" As an aside, I take a massive issue with this attitude. I am in no way nor would I ever call into question the bravery or conduct of any serving ADF member, but fighting in the MEAO is NOT securing my lifestlye or this country's security. BIG difference between Afghanistan and Indonesia.

And these are just a sample of your attitude, looking back through your post history.

But hey, there's really no point to this, we'll just chase our tails until someone gets dizzy or the thread gets locked. Furthermore, life's too short.

j3

The Green Goblin
12th Mar 2012, 08:56
Not beneath me, my issue is that soldiers are not public servants...They are soldiers.

Just like Airline Pilots don't just sit there and waste away while their flying skills deteriorate.

It's what you make it.

Don't you have a meal service to take care of GG?

You really are starting to sound like a meat head grunt.

You see mate most Pilots have a common respect for what each other does. We have friendly jibes at each other for a bit of fun, but it's all part of the game.

You genuinely sound like you believe your own propaganda. Something tells me you won't last very long in civvy aviation. You'll get a rude shock real quick.

You never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

With that in mind I will let you go troll another thread to get your testosterone fix.

Ooorah :cool:

InTheWeeds
12th Mar 2012, 10:43
We have friendly jibes at each other for a bit of fun, but it's all part of the game.

Thats what I though was going on with the photos - was a pretty good back and forth until it got 'real'...

but poor old me had the skills, co-ordination and shameless good looks required to hover

If you think that I typed that (along with some of my other comments) with a straight face.... you need your head read.... :yuk:

lostwingnut
15th Mar 2012, 12:53
The DC's mentioned above (page 1) are roughly $200. They are ok, but not great for anything over an hour or two, as pilot's we get used to headsets, but passengers do seem to struggle a bit.

I've also used some StarComs that were $120 each, but all we got was complaints about crushed heads from passengers (after bending them out it was complaints about loose fits - can't win).

Have always wondered how a nice set of normal, off the shelf headphones would work. Maybe a set of Sony or Phillips noise cancelling headphones from JB or Harvey Norman.

Has anyone had any experience with them in a 210 or Airvan? Maybe a 402?
Would be great to get some insight.

LWN