PDA

View Full Version : Canberra...torpedo bomber??

Brewster Buffalo
9th Mar 2012, 21:44
The Canberra had many roles but did anyone think of using is it as a torpedo bomber?
Didn't the Soviet Navy in the 1950/60 consist of mainly submarines so perhaps it wasn't needed. Would the bomb bay have taken one anyway?

Nuuumannn
9th Mar 2012, 23:29
A single Canberra was supplied to the Torpedo Development Unit at Gosport for parachute mine trials in 1953, but I don't think the idea of fitting torpedoes to the Canberra was ever considered. I suspect because it would have been too fast, resulting in the torpedo disintegrating on impact with the water.

Wander00
10th Mar 2012, 07:42
MRCA....

I'll get my coat!

Brewster Buffalo
10th Mar 2012, 19:57
My query was prompted by seeing a photo of a Russian jet bomber probably a IL-28T which could carry a torpedo.

Herod
10th Mar 2012, 20:12
Wander00. For the sake of our younger readers, you have to point out that MRCA doesn't mean Multi-role Combat Aircraft (aka Tornado), but Must Re-furbish Canberras Again.

redsetter
10th Mar 2012, 20:54
There was some interest in an anti-shipping Canberra in the early 1950s, but nothing came of it. However an RAE B(I)6 was used on Mk.44 torpedo release trials at ATDU in the mid-60s.

chevvron
11th Mar 2012, 06:48
A Canberra from Farnborough used to travel to Culdrose several days a week in the '80s for torpedo dropping trials (Stingray?). Can't remember which one but it was probably the B6 as I remember one of the Air Observer boffins (Mavis) telling me how on one occasion the pilot (Harry Martin) reported no visual contact with the target, but she (sitting in the nav seat in the rear compartment and facing backwards) twisted round and looked out the front and she COULD see the target!!

Wander00
11th Mar 2012, 08:31
Thought both Canberra rear seats faced forward - or am I gettig VERY old

chevvron
12th Mar 2012, 12:55
You're probably right knowing my experience of a B6; I only ever managed a quick look in a T4. Mavis definitely said she was able to (just) see out the front though.