PDA

View Full Version : aircraft engineering, military or civvy?

ConfusedMatloe
9th Mar 2012, 12:24
Hello

i am a 27 year old navy LMA who has been considering a career change to engineering for the past two years. i am at cross roads as to whether i should attempt a branch change to AET and go though the foundation degree route or take the hit and go outside, although staying in the military would be preferable but any advice on the best route from a professional stand point would be very much appreciated.

thank you very much to anyone who responds to this thread.

Rigga
9th Mar 2012, 20:15
Nobody else can make this decision for you - do your own research (if you go for a degree it will be good practice) but go much deeper than you have tickled so far.

The Military route will be the most secure - at the moment and is probably quite safe at least up to the 22-year point. I believe Pension Rules will change soon (And probably certain to be brought in as part of signing on?)and that could have some sway in your decision.

In civil life you have to have at least one year on the outside "with" your licence sitting in your pocket (if you have done the modules before leaving?) to have any hope of making a similar amount.

Staying in too long may mean that you could work for very little without an immediate pension to support your new career.....

Just my opinion...

Best of Luck

ConfusedMatloe
9th Mar 2012, 20:55
Many thanks for your advice rigga, and i do understand the issue of staying in too long as thats why i am this forum

not too bothered if i have to go outside to get into the industry but just curious whether the navy will offer a good professional accredited alternative as i understand it is now full modern apprenticeship programme and was curious as to whether i would get as good an offer outside on an aircraft maintenance degree which would lead me on to being licensed.. as i know the university of glamorgan offer one with foundation year which give you a chance to work towards your license whilst at the uni?

advice from WAFU or exWAFU guys would be most welcome

Rigga
9th Mar 2012, 22:46
...although a degree will be very nice for you - any employer that needs a licence will get a licenced guy first. A degree is not much use (an implication, there, of some use) on a Line or in a hangar.

Degrees are mainly the need of design, possibly management positions or manufacturing/production.

Depending on what degree it is: a degree may not help in the exams you will need to pass for a licence.

Recently degree qualified and licenced guys (straight out of civil training) have been noticed as a bit better at fault finding, but not that different.

In the mean-time:
Keep an eye out for Engineers Licence Guidance Document (ELGD) on the CAA.co.uk "publications" webpage - it may re-appear soon.

ConfusedMatloe
11th Mar 2012, 16:50
thanks to your both for your honest and frank replays, after a but more online research and talking to an ex wafu the other day i will stay in and go for the transfer as it seems to me i can gain far more varied engineering experience in the mob than a civvy airline or outfit would allow.

anyone with any further helpful hints or comments please continue to post as the more info i get the better informed i am and able to put forward a good case for my career choice to the manning gurus

thanks again

bob_zingh
11th Mar 2012, 18:29
I would recommend you look into doing your EASA Pt66 modules to give you options a few years down the line!

ConfusedMatloe
15th Mar 2012, 17:54
i need experience as a maintainer first ( as i am not in the aviation industry at present, and i am going through a career change!) before i even think about getting a licence so need a bit more of a steer in the way to get myself into maintainers position within civilian aviation if the military route i am planning goes up the proverbial creek!:confused:

i am aware of the part 66 modules but in order to get an a license you need a years experience within a maintainers position, any companies which take on apprentices of 28 years old??.. as i am not finding much online.