PDA

View Full Version : Roll up, roll up, airports for sale!

LGS6753
8th Mar 2012, 19:10
Currently on the market:

Prestwick
Manston
Edinburgh
Stansted (if BAA lose their appeal)
Durham Tees Valley (despite what Peel say)

any more?

This seems like a record, and tells us a lot about the economics of running airports in 21st century Britain.

Toxic Thrust
8th Mar 2012, 19:14
London City is being readied for sale too

xtypeman
8th Mar 2012, 19:22
Psst....

Filton and Plymouth oh sorry already sold for housing..............

JSCL
8th Mar 2012, 19:27
We could always rename Durham Tees Valley to suit MOL - "London North East".

Toxic Thrust
8th Mar 2012, 19:35
Its a curious time right now there are a record amount of airports closing and up for sale but there is also a lot of spending going on with improvements to existing airports:

London Southend - Total rebuild
Birmingham - Runway extension/Tower/Radar/Hangar
Oxford - Runway distances/Ramp/Hangars
Aberdeen - Runway extension
Gloucester - Runway distances
Farnborough - Hangars
Luton - Proposing stands/taxiways

Its what I would call a bit of a change in the order of things. Some of the old rot being cleared out and others developing to get their slice of the action when things pick up!

devonish
8th Mar 2012, 19:52
cornwall council are looking to offload Newquay asap

controlx
8th Mar 2012, 19:58
Dont forget the MOD closures too - Lynham etc.

Newquay's sort of available if someone knocks on the door with the right offer. Costs the good taxpayers of Cornwall £3m+ a year in additional council tax.

Future of Aviation consultation documents should pop along soon and then we might see some suprises being tabled beside the usual 3rd LHR runway and 'Boris Island' schemes - any old military airfields ready in the south east to be kick-started back to life........? Gaydon, Upper Heyford, Dunsfold enquiry re unlimited use about to be settled etc. etc.

MerchantVenturer
8th Mar 2012, 20:25
Farnborough - Hangars

Bristol (BRS) - £150 million expansion plans cleared all legal hurdles including judicial review attempt by opponents - will double terminal size, add new piers and walkways, new multi-storey car parks, new hotel, new offices, public transport interchange and additional aircraft parking stands (three currently under construction for completion within the next month or so).

Contract for the first part of the terminal extension already signed and advertisments in trade press two months ago for tenders for the other works.

Toxic Thrust
8th Mar 2012, 20:34
I knew I would forget somewhere, nice one MV sounds like exciting times over at BRS to :)

Cyrano
8th Mar 2012, 20:40
Or for those with more modest credit card limits, Weston Airfield (EIWT) (http://www.property.ie/commercial-property/Weston-Airport-Lucan-Co-Dublin/92218/) just outside Dublin, with a 920m Tarmac runway and a selection of hangars, buildings (and stables!) is for sale with an asking price of €3m, down from €12m in boom times...

pottwiddler
8th Mar 2012, 20:46
Bournemouth redevelopment, job done and ready more business :D

Fairdealfrank
9th Mar 2012, 18:09
Quote:
"Its a curious time right now there are a record amount of airports closing and up for sale but there is also a lot of spending going on with improvements to existing airports:

Farnborough - Hangars

Its what I would call a bit of a change in the order of things. Some of the old rot being cleared out and others developing to get their slice of the action when things pick up!"

There's also a hell of a lot of terminal rebuilding/improvement work going on at LHR and LGW.

Quote:
"We could always rename Durham Tees Valley to suit MOL - "London North East".

Indeed we could, but on a serious note renaming it "Middlesbrough" or "Middlesbrough-Teesside" would help.

Get me some traffic
9th Mar 2012, 19:09
I personally prefer "Teesside Airport." I notice that the majority of the spend is in the south(east) and a large proportion of the sale is in the north. North south divide in aviation?

ILS32
9th Mar 2012, 19:15
Its not all down south,don't forget Leeds/Bradford has just started a £15 million terminal extension.Should be ready for the start of the summer season.Long over due but better late than never.

TSR2
9th Mar 2012, 19:27
And Blackpool has just invested in a 5 litre can of weedkiller :D

Baltasound
28th Mar 2012, 22:59
Ercan - oops. Sorry wrong country and embargoed at that....:E

chaps2011
29th Mar 2012, 07:52
Brand new control tower and enterprise zone at Manchester plus tram line to airport.

Ian

fanrailuk
29th Mar 2012, 09:40
It has been noted in a recent press spat that Abertis (owners of LTN, BFS and CWL) would be willing to let go of Cardiff CWL for offers of no less than £120m.

I guess that means it's up for sale! (albeit overpriced)

PP :ok: