PDA

View Full Version : Hypothyroidism and a career in flying....

Boy_phantom
6th Mar 2012, 22:29
Hi all

As the title suggests, just wondering if there are any folks out there that have etched out a career in flying (big jets) whilst being blessed with hypothyroidism?

To be honest I have a career in flying at the moment (in its infancy) and don't have any problems with attaining a class one medical, however I would one day love to fly one of the big shiny jets but as my country doesn't have many options for me to fly big ol' shiny I'd have to look overseas for the opportunity.
I do understand that all countries and companies have different medical requirements but do you think any of the major carriers would have a problem with this disorder? My DAME and GP both suggest it should not be an issue.

So any pilots had experience with this??

5LY
7th Mar 2012, 00:11
Not an issue. Take your pills and don't advertize. One of the easiest disorders to treat.:)

Boy_phantom
7th Mar 2012, 01:01
"Not an issue. Take your pills and don't advertize. One of the easiest disorders to treat."

Thanks for your reply 5LY.
Yeah I know its not an issue and it never has been (nor probably will ever be) but a little difficult to not "advertise" as it is an endorsement/observation on my current medical and I'm an honest type of guy.

DX Wombat
7th Mar 2012, 09:47
I think what 5LY means is that you don't need to draw a prospective employer's attention to it. You wouldn't do so if it were say "Must carry spectacles." You are not being dishonest or bending the truth as any decent employer will probably want to look at your licence anyway and it is there for all to see.

Boy_phantom
9th Mar 2012, 00:54
"I think what 5LY means is that you don't need to draw a prospective employer's attention to it. You wouldn't do so if it were say "Must carry spectacles." You are not being dishonest or bending the truth as any decent employer will probably want to look at your licence anyway and it is there for all to see."

Yeah thanks DX, I would never make a big song and dance about it.

Any others like me out there? Would be good to hear any issues or just informative stories from others.

Thanks

B_P

pablo
9th Mar 2012, 02:31
Hey boy phantom

I also have hypothyroidism.
Initially I was diagnosed with hyperthyrodism, very high levels of hormones, and treated with radioactive Iodine, so now I'm permanently "hypothyroid".
I have been out of aviation for 2,5 yrs and looking forward to get back. The AME that I will be using to renew my Class I, only thing he told me is that probably my Class I will be subject to a 6-month period instead of 12-months.

Out of curiosity, what is your case regarding the time-span of your Class I?

Thyroid issues are indeed very easy to treat, but I can tell you from experience until you get diagnosed and then stabilized it can be very disturbing.

Boy_phantom
9th Mar 2012, 19:47
Hi Pablo
Thanks for your reply.
My Hypo is very stable.
I've had hypo (mine didn't come from hyper) for over 12 years now. Never effected the longevity of my class one medical always had it issued for 12 months and most of the time the endorsement was never printed on my medical, just recently it has been required by the powers above :*

Keep them coming.

B_P

Rory Dixon
9th Mar 2012, 22:18
Just two practical things on treatment (which are unfortunately quite often just forgotten):
1) Do not switch brands of your thyroxin tablets, as resorption is quite variable between different ones.
2) Always take your thyroxin at least 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast. It's the only way to ensure the needed blood levels.

knox
9th Mar 2012, 22:30
Just two practical things on treatment (which are unfortunately quite often just forgotten):
1) Do not switch brands of your thyroxin tablets, as resorption is quite variable between different ones.
2) Always take your thyroxin at least 30 minutes BEFORE breakfast. It's the only way to ensure the needed blood levels.

Thanks for that RD was aware of the 30 min before breakfast but haven't been told of the change of type of thyroxin. I'll run that one by my GP on the next visit.

B_P
Good thread. Not too many guys out there with hypothyroid from my understanding.

pablo
9th Mar 2012, 22:59
Rory, indeed those are 2 basic tips but often overlooked. It was only a couple of months after being diagnosed that my doctor cared to explain this to me.

Brand is not only significant for thyroxine medication, but even any other medication is not the same depending on brands. I had a conversation about this with a friend that is a doctor and she told me in some cases 2 brands with the same amount of active principle have different effectivity, be it thyroxin or ibuprofen.

B_P thx for the info, when I'm up for the Class I I will mention this to my AME.

Boy_phantom
13th Mar 2012, 03:25
B_P thx for the info, when I'm up for the Class I I will mention this to my AME.

Hey pablo I will be interested to see what your dame says about it. Let me know.

Cheers

B_P