PDA

View Full Version : FI Examiner

Big_Buddha36
6th Mar 2012, 18:18
Hi all,

Whilst priority #1 is a new job, can anyone tell me what the examiner (ppl) course/test is really like?. Any tips/bewares etc??

Anyone been through it recently?

Your comments would be greatly appreciated.

Bb

blagger
6th Mar 2012, 18:50
Did mine last year and really enjoyed it. About a day or so of groundschool looking at all the Standards Docs, Flight Examiner Handbook, regulations, how to conduct tests etc.. Then sample briefings and conducting a PPL test with FIE as a dummy candidate, debriefing it etc.. I also did some IMC test bits in the dummy test. You need to know the regulations and FEH / test contents in really good detail, I found fillng in the PPL test forms with various failure scenarios needed a lot of pre-reading. You will need CAA approval before booking the course and test - unless there is a need for another FE in your area you will probably get turned down by them.

BillieBob
6th Mar 2012, 21:28
It's all about to change! The upside is that the CAA will no longer be able to refuse applications on the basis of geographical need. The downside is that only approved ATOs will be able to offer the course, which looks like being a minimum of 3 days, including at least two, possibly three flights. Standby for a significant increase in costs.

Whopity
7th Mar 2012, 16:55
The CAA advised FIEs that they would be eligible to become ATOs in order to continue what they were currently entitled to do however; no mention was made of when the old system would cease, and the new system would begin.

As there is a significant increase in cost, any overlap in the two systems would result in unfair competition.