PDA

View Full Version : London to Harrogate - Food/Fuel recommendations

RMK
6th Mar 2012, 13:29
I seldom venture north, but will be flying between London and Harrogate return. I’ll need both a fuel and lunch stop on the way back to London (AvGas for R44). Along my track I see:

PPrune hotel/restaurant thread recommended lunch stops:

Barnsdale Lodge Hotel, Rutland
The Pheasant, Cambridgeshire
Morley Hayes, Derbyshire

Aerodromes for fuel:

EGNA Hucknell
EGBN Nottingham
EGNF Netherthorpe
EGBG Leicester
EGBK Northampton Sywell

Any thoughts on combining the fuel & lunch stop? Any local knowledge or recommendations?

JimBall
6th Mar 2012, 14:30
EGBK Northampton Sywell

By far the classiest on your list. Cafe nr pumps. Lots to look at and great food.

muffin
6th Mar 2012, 16:07
I'd go for Barnsdale Lodge every time. Morley Hayes is a "plastic hotel" on a golf course

IMO
6th Mar 2012, 18:30
Walton Wood Airfield has Avgas. The guys there can give you a lift to Wentbridge Hotel or the Blue Bell pub. Both serve good food in pleasant rural surroundings.

collectivecool
6th Mar 2012, 19:32
Barnsdale Lodge is very nice, flown in there myself. However, if you are after fuel and food then I'm with JimBall. It has to be Sywell, lovely airfield, food, atmosphere etc etc...
If you are talking about The Pheasant at Keyston, this went into administration a few weeks ago but is now under new management. Haven't yet visited so can't comment.

ShyTorque
6th Mar 2012, 19:34
EGNF folk are very friendly and there is excellent food in a good setting. Restaurant is closed on Mondays though; just check when you make the mandatory PPR.

misterbonkers
6th Mar 2012, 19:41
Sherburn-In Elmet is good for AVGAS & JET A1 - should imagine you'd only need one fuel stop if you fuel nearer Harrogate.

Hazlewood Castle (near Tadcaster) is a nice spot for lunch.

Woodhall Hotel (near Wetherby)

Wentbridge Hotel - you used to be able to land at?

Kings Croft Hotel near Pontefract

And if you want somewhere completely different to them "posh 'Otels" try;

Squires Bikers Cafe, Run By Bikers For Bikers... (http://squires-cafe.co.uk/) - located just off the A1 north of Ferrybridge.

also check out;

Home - Yorkshire Heli Club (http://yorkshireheliclub.moonfruit.com/#/places-to-go/4539132779) for places to go in Yorkshire.

A.Agincourt
6th Mar 2012, 20:40
Peterborough Conington, excellent cafe and people.

Best Wishes

RMK
12th Mar 2012, 09:42
Thank you for replies. As recommended above, I'll check out Northampton/Sywell for fuel and try the Pilots Mess for lunch. Will then stop off at Fawsley Hall before flying back towards London.

Will look at some of the other places on subsequent flights north.