PDA

View Full Version : Type rating validity

Oakape
6th Mar 2012, 03:43
Can anyone tell me if an aircraft type rating, on either an Oz or NZ license, has a validity period? In other words, does it expire?

Thanks.

The Green Goblin
6th Mar 2012, 03:59
No.

However particularly with jet ratings you need some recency for contract work overseas.

pcx
6th Mar 2012, 04:02
Not on an Aus licence. For private ops. You will need a current AFR and if flying IFR a current Instrument rating.
Other things may be required though for commercial ops. eg the check and training requirements of the operator you work for, and any recency requirements.

Oakape
6th Mar 2012, 05:22
Thanks for the replies.

I have been told that you require a full endorsement course if you haven't flown the type for more than 5 years, but can find no documation on this from either CASA or the NZ CAA. Or anywhere else for that matter.

john_tullamarine
6th Mar 2012, 05:41
A solid refresher makes good sense. A colleague and I went back onto the B727 after a break of around 13-15 years and had no significant problems. Heads in the books for a week or two before the sim and by the time we were into the second sim it was like we'd just come back from a month's holidays. Without checking the logbook my recollection is that we did about 5 sessions to get back up to speed for a bit of line training.

A full endorsement formalises it a bit but is probably a tad over the top.

c100driver
6th Mar 2012, 06:02
Usually for part 121 and 125 types the limit is in the airline AOC. The part 121 training provisions of the rule say that the operator has to provide a procedure for initial, recurrent and upgrade.

So the answer is for private operations there is no time limit, but for a Part 119 (121, 125 or 135) operation they may have a limit in their exposition.

DeltaT
6th Mar 2012, 10:41
I have had this very conversation with CASA last week!
The ratings do not expire, there is no requirement to do a course all over again.
I would hazard a guess you have had this request from an overseas operator?
Under the JAR system, (maybe some others) -Yes if you have not flown the type in 5yrs it is removed from your licence.

Oakape
6th Mar 2012, 13:06
Thanks everyone for the input. The situation is airline transport, rather than private ops.

DeltaT - Great timing! Was there anything in the regs or CAO's that they referred to during your conversation? I'm looking for something documented, in case I need some leverage. I don't think I will, as it is just under 5 years since I've flown the type, but the issue has been discussed. My on-line research has drawn a blank, however I'm guessing it will most likely be a case of 'if the regs are silent on the matter - then it isn't required'. If I remember rightly, that is how they are structured.

john tullamarine, I am back into the books already & I think we get 4 sessions so, as in your experience, I am not anticipating any major problems. I did as a brief sim ride for the interview & it was all coming back quite quickly. I have been flying a very similar type over the last few years, which helps. I am just trying to head off any potential problems before they arise, as my time away from the type has already been flagged by a number of people.

Aussie
6th Mar 2012, 18:47
Bit of a side comment sorry, but on that note, anyone know what i would have to do to get my JAA Type ratings onto my Aus license?

Cheers!

DeltaT
7th Mar 2012, 07:33
Aussie, the forms should be on the CASA website.
And yes, to answer your next question...once done, when the ratings expire on the JAA licence, you just use the Australian licence to put them back on there again when needed! :E

Oakape, as you surmised, nothing in the regs to say they expire, hence...they don't. Who is trying to frighten you that it does? Just throw it back to the company.

With pilots mingling from different countries within airlines, some will talk of regs that actually do not apply to the airline home country, but other pilots will pick up on it and think it applies. Confirmation is just a simple phone call away to the appropriate CAA.