PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Office 2003 SP3

Groundgripper
4th Mar 2012, 19:03
I tried installing this update several times in the last couple of days and each time, when I try to open an Excel File I get a window telling me:

Please wait while Windows configures Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003

This is then replaced by another one:

The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable

Click OK to try again or enter an alternative path to a folder containing the installation package 'PRO11.MSI' in the box below

Click close (after ascertaining that that package does not seem to exist on my machine and it comes up with:

ERROR 1706 Setup cannot find the required files. Check your connection to the network, or CD-ROM. For other potential solutions to the problem see C\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE\11\1033\SETUP.HTM

It refuses to open any Excel file but is happy with other Office components (Word, Access).

The package was on the computer when I bought it and I presume that it is something to do with the initial installation CD not being available, at least that what Error 1706 seems to be about (compressed and uncompressed files, etc.).

I'm more curious than anything, the programs all seem to work without SP3 which seems to consist, at least partly, of previously issued updates.

GG

Milo Minderbinder
4th Mar 2012, 20:08
The cache of setup files which are normally kept on the PC must have been deleted - probably during the initial setup. You need the disk to fix it
This is what M$ say about it
https://office.microsoft.com/en-us/powerpoint-help/locate-missing-msi-files-HA001118572.aspx?redir=0

Groundgripper
4th Mar 2012, 21:15
Yup, thought so. Thanks for that Milo - I don't intend to go back to the shop from which I bought it, they'll only charge me for re-installing it :hmm: and I think I can live without that.

One phrase in that Microsoft article caught my eye:

Any data present in a bad portion of the hard disk is usually lost and commonly associated with physical damage to the disk. This is most likely the result of high-vibration environments, such as the computer being struck, dropped, or kicked.

Now, who on earth would want to do that to a computer running Windows?:E:mad:

GG

jimtherev
4th Mar 2012, 22:54
You could try asking around - office / place of work / friends, to see if anyone has kept Office 2003 install disks. t'offending file is likely there: just point the installer to the cd when it tries to search.