PDA

View Full Version : Free Antivirus for Windows

Radar66
4th Mar 2012, 10:51
Have done a quick search and found this (http://www.pprune.org/computer-internet-issues-troubleshooting/462132-anti-virus-programs.html) thread.

But I'm stoopid oi am ;)
And I don't understand a lot of 'puter terminology.

My presently installed Norton runs out shortly, and I was wondering if there was a free antivirus programme out there that would do a similar job as I am somewhat reluctant to pay out large amounts of dosh for a programme if there is a free one out there that does just as good a job.

From reading the above link, is it generally agreed that Avast coupled with ZoneAlarm the best way forwards? Or are there others out there that are better suited?

And what is the best method of uninstalling the Norton and downloading the chosen software?

Would like it for my lap top and also possibly for his monolith which is also windows.

txdmy1
4th Mar 2012, 11:19
Microsoft Security essentials and MalwareBytes, both free

vulcanised
4th Mar 2012, 11:39
generally agreed that Avast coupled with ZoneAlarm the best way forwards
They have both served me well for years.

Norton is best removed (in all senses!) by the Norton removal utility.

One word of warning though - many free programs now download with 'baggage' unless you opt out of it. Look for boxes to untick before clicking Download.

P.Pilcher
4th Mar 2012, 12:36
I have been using Avast, like many others, very successfully for years. Be warned that, like all suppliers of free software, they have a paid version to promote which may or may not be better than the free offering. You do however have to be careful when on their website to click on the correct option to get the freebie. Naturally they tend not to make it too obvious as to which the correct button is!

My wife's new computer had three months free Norton which she immediately opted for. Two and a half month's later it was screaming like mad to be renewed, fortunately the appropriate Norton removal tool silenced it and Avast was then installed to take over. I havn't dared to do a registry scan on her computer yet to see how many "Norton" entries remain.

P.P.

B Fraser
4th Mar 2012, 13:27
Lady Radz,

BT Broadband customers (residential, not business packages) get NetProtect Plus for free and it can be installed on multiple computers.

B x

Lancelot37
4th Mar 2012, 13:36
Kasperky has served my needs on my three computers for more than 10 years. Never had a virus, malicious software or other problem unlike friends who use freebies such as AVG and others. All get problems once in a while.

You pay hundred of pounds/dollars for a computer then want it protected for free. You get what you pay for. Suffer if you must!

A word - don't buy from the manufacturer of programs, buy them via Amazon for one third of the price - a bargain.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Mar 2012, 14:53
AVG Free | Free Antivirus Download | Free Antivirus Software | UK (http://free.avg.com/gb-en/free-antivirus-download)

I've been using AVG Free for some years, and am very happy with it. You just need to be alert to all the various attempts to persuade you to change your mind and go for the paid version.

G

Milo Minderbinder
4th Mar 2012, 16:37
Of the free AV programs, Avast and Avira both consistently hit the highest scores in virus detection tests. In fact both are usually in the top 5 of ALL A/V programs with detections rates of 95% or above
Of the two, Avast has a wider range of abilities, which is why it gets my vote. Its what I install on any machines I have to clean up for customers - and so far I've never had one come back to me infected. However I use it as part of a cocktail of free software - which all work together OK without clashing

Avast Antivirus free (version 7 released this week)
Threatfire - a behavioral scanner with a very good hit rate for rootkits zero-day attackes
Windows Defender - already installed on Vista / &, optional download on XP
Browser Protect (Browser Hijack Protection for free - BrowserProtect.org (http://www.browserprotect.org)) - stops browser hijacks
Spamfighter (if sing a POP/IMAP mail client)

I don't bother with additional firewalls unless a customer demands it, in which case I use Zonealarm. My experience is that for most people the firewall built into Windows from XPsp3 onwards works well enough. Installing a 3rd party firewall requires too much intervention for most users and they end up turning it off

if you have really nasty browsing habits, then installing Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster helps - but only as long as they are kept up to date (a manual process)

I fond it more constructive to use Mozilla Firefox and then lock it down with security plugins - if you can protect the browser, generally you can protect the computer

Radar66
4th Mar 2012, 17:09
Thanks all! You've all been really helpful - will definitely look into them.

BFraser - we are BT broadband customers... how does one go about getting it if we chose to go down that route?

B Fraser
4th Mar 2012, 17:28
Online Security and Parental Controls | MyBT Broadband (http://www.productsandservices.bt.com/consumerProducts/displayTopic.do?topicId=27269&s_cid=con_FURL_netprotectplus)

Option 1 customers have to pay for it, it's free to all other package subscribers.

If you can't remember your login details then the customer service people are on hand to help.

;)

Milo Minderbinder
4th Mar 2012, 17:52
The BT software is a version of McAfee's security software.
Like all McAfee products its a memory hog. slow clunky and doesn't actually do very well at virus detection

OFSO
5th Mar 2012, 13:07
AVG every few days and MalWareBytes once a fortnight. Solved !

Mac the Knife
5th Mar 2012, 13:58
Microsoft Security essentials and MalwareBytes, both free

Good combination - resource light, works fine.

Avast :hmm:
Norton :yuk::yuk::yuk:
McAfee :yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

:ok:

Keef
5th Mar 2012, 17:20
I've spent many afternoons removing McAfee and the like from computers that came with it "for free".

Until a year or so ago, I used AVG Free. Then they did something to the "engine" that slowed it right down, and I switched to Avast Free, which does a superb job. As others have said, you have to be determined that you want the "free" version and that you don't want any of the other offers that will be thrust at you. Watch out, in particular, for browser toolbars that they offer.

The various antivirus offerings leapfrog each other in scores - I don't think any of them are particularly bad, but I wouldn't pay good money for McAfee. None of them is 100% so you need to be wary of websites you don't know.

Apart from that...

The Windows 7 firewall is OK (ZoneAlarm is better, but a right pain until it's set itself up with the various stuff you use).

NoScript in your browser is essential, and is a bit of a pain till it's learned the sites to allow. You get used to its warning bar and having to click "Temporarily allow all this page".

WOT (Web of Trust) will protect you from norty websites that might try to upload stuff. It gives nice, clear warnings.

AdBlock Plus does a sterling job.

handsfree
6th Mar 2012, 15:24
Microsoft Security essentials and MalwareBytes

That combination works for me too. I got fed up paying for NcAfee about 6 months ago and have had no problems at all since using the above.

Mike-Bracknell
6th Mar 2012, 20:36
You could always have looked at the last post in the 'frequently asked questions' sticky :)

TURIN
19th Mar 2012, 19:11
I have had a Avast for years with no problems until this week when the latest program upgrade caused a major headache. I have now uninstalled it and will probably go for the Security Essentials option as that appears to have a good fan base all over.

Tarq57
23rd Mar 2012, 21:27
Long time Avast user. The latest update causes no problems at all, here.

Milo Minderbinder
23rd Mar 2012, 22:44
I'm still seeing problems. I've had several cases where after the upgrade, a subsequent program update stalled, disabling the antivirus.
Removal and resinstalation fixed all except one - which is a Win7 machine which has always shown weird behaviour with file permissions when installing Avast

Two minor issues with it - if you've overridden the default scan action options, then not all of these are carried through after the upgrade. You need to check each scan type individually
And some older programs - notably MS Office 97 and 2000 - are not in the database of whitelisted applications. By default it tries to open them in the sandbox

gas path
24th Mar 2012, 09:04
No problem here either. Win 7 Ultimate 64bit.

Radar66
24th Mar 2012, 20:04
Righty. Thank you all so much for your invaluable help and advice.

Norton's now run out, so have uninstalled it using the Norton tool, and then did a search on my lappy for anything Norton, and deleted a couple of little notepads and word docs.

I then have literally just now installed Avast - all very smoothly and nicely - hopefully it'll do the job.

My next question is with my windows firewall switched on, do I need Zonealarm as well?

Or will I be okay with just Avast and Windows Firewall?

vulcanised
24th Mar 2012, 20:47
Probably OK with the Windows one, although I would prefer to have ZA on my machine.

Radar66
24th Mar 2012, 21:05
Why's that vulcanised? More/better protection?

Mac the Knife
25th Mar 2012, 06:58
"....with my windows firewall switched on, do I need Zonealarm as well?"

No

Mac :ok:

Tarq57
25th Mar 2012, 10:53
My next question is with my windows firewall switched on, do I need Zonealarm as well?
Windows firewall is perfectly adequate, in XP SP3 and above.
A different software firewall, such as ZoneAlarm, will give you control over outbound applications connecting to the net. Where the security element enters the equation, is that if a new app (loaded by something malicious) gets into the 'pooter and decides to phone home, as it were, the outbound control represents a chance to prevent that.

Before that happens, nasty new software has to have got past your own common sense and your antivirus, plus any browser safeguards that may be present or added.

In my experience, a poorly configured firewall - even an applications-based one (as opposed to a rules-based one, which needs reasonable expertise) is likely to be less secure than the Windows one out-of-the-box.

I would suggest turning the DEP control on, in the Windows firewall. Stands for data execution prevention, IIRC. I think it may be on by default.

Milo Minderbinder
25th Mar 2012, 11:10
My experience is that third party firewalls are more trouble than they are worth. Most people get confused by the plethora of warning message and often end up allowing things they shouldn't, or disabling the firewall altogether so leaving themselves unprotected
The windows firewall simply "just works"with no user input - so the chances of messing it up are much reduced

vulcanised
25th Mar 2012, 11:33
Why's that vulcanised? More/better protection?

I think others have answered that pretty well by now. ZA will give you a further element of personal control (which I like) but the Windows utility is quite adequate.

Radar66
25th Mar 2012, 15:14
Gotcha!! As I'm no computer geek, I think that I'll stay with the windows firewall.

Stars you are, the lot of you. Many many thanks. :ok:

Radar66
25th Mar 2012, 15:18
PS.... How do I see if the DEP is turned on, etc? :confused:

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb122/Radar66/firewall.jpg

So sorry about this - all this is new to me - couldn't see anything relating to DEP just a whole load of scary 'customise' buttons which I'm afraid to mess around with! :O

Milo Minderbinder
25th Mar 2012, 15:49
Radar66
Its not part of the firewall, and is "on" by default. No need to worry unless it gives problems

Its actually buried away under
control panel > system > advanced system settings > advanced > performance settings > data execution protection

Milo Minderbinder
25th Mar 2012, 18:20
Just a slight divergence, but someone has just reminded of one circumstance where it IS worth installing ZoneAlarm or similar
That is if your PC is connected to the internet via a USB Broadband modem, rather than a a networked modem/router.
With a USB modem there is no hardware firewall or NATS between the PC and the internet, so the machine is fully exposed and you really do need that extra degree of security.

gas path
25th Mar 2012, 19:31
I've found **Home of Gibson Research Corporation** (http://www.grc.com/intro.htm) useful for checking computer security.

vulcanised
25th Mar 2012, 19:37
Glad to see that Steve is still around.

He first came to my attention with a brilliant screensaver, written in machine code, as I believe is all his software. Unfortunately, iirc, it doesn't run in Windoze, otherwise I would still be using it.

One of a very small number I would trust on the 'net.

Milo Minderbinder
25th Mar 2012, 23:35
Many years since I last spoke to Steve G
Brilliant at what he does, comes in for a lot of stick for pointing out unpleasant truths.
Be warned though - much of the stuff on his website is years out of date, he never culls old programs. However the Shields Up! and port scan can be an eyeopener, and SpinRite is a useful tool if you need to keep an old drive running for a while. But just remember - if you need to use SpinRite, its time to replace the drive

However - all that scan on his website does is check for open ports. It does not check for software vulnerabiities

PPRuNe Pop
26th Mar 2012, 06:15
Rads. Avast is great. Even their daily pop-ups are acceptable because they keep you informed. I had a crash recently and have put back the Avast freebie, which is going along nicely. I have found that Norton is a mess and 'controls' the computer. OK for them but I like being in control. ;)

vulcanised
26th Mar 2012, 11:37
You don't even have to have those "acceptable pop ups".

Select silent/gaming mode and it just gets on with it.