PDA

View Full Version : Broadband speeds

BigEndBob
3rd Mar 2012, 23:14
Just signed up with Talk talk for phone and broadband. Have been with them before and was very happy with service.
It was installed 3 days ago, signed up for the 'upto 24mbps service'.
Don't expect to get that sort of speed, but on checking the speed only getting at best 2.6mbps. So not very happy. Thought about downgrading to a cheaper package if thats all the speed i'm going get.

Bit of research on the web brought the suggestion of checking if the bell or ringing wire was connected in the BT wall socket, as this can pick up noise and not used on modern phones. Bit suprised if's thats fitted as my property only 6 years old.

So dismantled the socket and wire 3 was connected, so disconnect wire 3, leaving 2 and 5, being the normal phone line wires.

Hey presto! ....speed as now shot up to 6.5mbps! very happy bunny am i.:ok:

P.Pilcher
4th Mar 2012, 12:43
Yes - but it is still way, way below the promised (with a pinch of salt) 24 Mbps speed. Is it still not worth getting a cheaper package? I get about 6 Mbps from an exchange which is still unbundled, but at least my ISP (plusnet) only charge me for "up to" 8 Mbps.

P.P.

B Fraser
4th Mar 2012, 13:22
Speeds are never promised. If your house backs onto the telephone exchange then you will get close to the maximum if you are on a copper service. Most of the degradation comes from your domestic telephone wiring, disconnecting the bell wire eliminates the noise generated on your unshielded extensions.

Glad to read that your speed has improved, make sure the router is on the first (primary) socket and consider fitting an i-Plate if it is not a modern one. Searching the web will reveal all.

Lancelot37
4th Mar 2012, 13:42
Computer mag that I read the other day suggested that you leave the Router on all of the time to get top speed.

Check speed here Namesco BroadbandMax ADSL Broadband Bandwidth speedtest | Test your ADSL Broadband connection speed (http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk/)

You'll find that it does vary throughout the day depending in loading on your exchange.

BOAC
4th Mar 2012, 14:33
consider fitting an I-Plate if it is not a modern one. Searching the web will reveal all. - I thought a previous thread had showed that all an I-Plate does is what BigEnd had done? Do you mean a filter plate?

Out of interest, my 'cheapo/Ebay' filter plate DROPPED my speeds so is now 'off':ugh:

B Fraser
4th Mar 2012, 15:33
The I-Plate contains a filter, at least the official ones do. (I can't comment on the effectiveness of anything bought on the cheap.) That's what the capacitor and resistors are doing. My next house has an old style socket so either installing an I-Plate or having BT move the socket point and replace the gubbins with their latest Openreach branded unit with the built in filters will be the first thing I do.

There's nothing wrong with leaving the router on 24x7 however I know of at least one ISP that routinely forces a remote re-boot of the customer router each night. They reckon a re-train of the connection ensures maximum performance is restored saving them a huge volume of customer calls. I know of another ISP that is considering adopting the same practice for the very same reasons.

BOAC
4th Mar 2012, 16:12
BF - I did not buy an 'I-Plate' 'on the cheap' - I bought an SSFP 'on the cheap'. MB, EGTE and I will have to disagree with you on the I-Plate function, as will these people.

BT's iPlate is a simple device that isolates the ring wire (terminal 3) at the BT Master Socket; the ring wire is the primary culprit for picking up (RF) interference which adversely affects broadband performance.

Broadband Faceplate filter
The above ADSL filter plugs into your NTE5 (BT Master Socket) filtering all your internal phone wiring to give you the best ADSL connection possible.

It does not require any re-wiring and is therefore intended for people who are unable or unwilling to swap a couple of wires. The same results can be achieved for free simply by removing the ring wire (terminal 3) behind the removable faceplate on the BT Master Socket.

The iPlate is not an ADSL filter.
A filtered ADSL faceplate is an ADSL filter that removes the ADSL signal from all internal wiring so that none of the extension wiring can interfere with the signal, and can be easily fitted replacing the removable faceplate and swapping the extension wires.

mixture
4th Mar 2012, 16:16
It does not require any re-wiring and is therefore intended for people who are unable or unwilling to swap a couple of wires.

BOAC,

It is a breach of the contract you signed with BT to tamper with the wires feeding into the master socket.

Hence the existence of the faceplate.

BigEndBob
4th Mar 2012, 17:04
The thing is how many other customers do they have that just accept a poor quality service.
I don't expect 24megs, but going from 2 to 6 means that a youtube 2 min hd clip downloads in 20 sec rather than 2 mins.
The line had to be checked by a BT engineer as it was a reinstated line, a 2 minute job with his test kit.
He should have known that i was a TalkTalk broadband customer and therefore the wiring in socket very important.
Now Sunday evening, busy time on internet now seeing 6.8mp/s, fastest yet.

mixture
4th Mar 2012, 17:24
The thing is how many other customers do they have that just accept a poor quality service.

That's why the churn rate is so high in the broadband sector.

People cease & reprovide at the drop of a hat based on internet forum comments, chats with friends or whatever..... not realising how intertwined the whole industry is, and how a large part of performance remains dependent on BT and the quality of the tail to the exchange (not to mention contention, traffic shaping and all the other fun and games the providers play).

BOAC
4th Mar 2012, 18:23
It is a breach of the contract you signed with BT to tamper with the wires feeding into the master socket. - a little 'off frequency' there, M - you need to look up about wires 2,3 and 5? I think you mis-understand? The 'law' refers to the BT line INTO and as FAR AS the master socket. After that point the wiring is the consumers.

mixture
4th Mar 2012, 18:52
BOAC,

The 'law' refers to the BT line INTO and as FAR AS the master socket.

I suspect you'll find its up to and INCLUDING the master socket, which is otherwise known as NTE (Network Terminating Equipment) or NTP (Network Termination Point) depending on who you ask.

If, like me, you don't have a master socket but a conn box, then its your side of the conn strip, you can't touch BT's side.

The theory goes that the NTE provides BT with a known-good demarcation point for testing and by extension contractually defines a service as working and "in-spec". It also serves as protection for exchange-side equipment. Hence if you tamper with the cabling prior to the NTE, you could adversely impact BT's measurements (or ruin their exchange kit if you sent high voltage down the line due to some clumsy wiring).

Edit to add :

From BT residential customer terms and conditions.....

By service failure, we mean the continuous total loss of the facility to make or receive a phone call, or of any other facility we provide to you, due to a fault in any part of BT's network up to and including the main telephone socket for your property.

The guarantee does not apply if:
someone other than BT has caused the fault;
we ask to come onto your property and you do not allow us to; or
we reasonably ask for other help and you do not give it.

Hence, if you mess up through your tampering, BT could quite rightly refuse to fix it.

BOAC
5th Mar 2012, 07:04
The 'law' refers to the BT line INTO and as FAR AS the master socket. I suspect you'll find its up to and INCLUDING the master socket,- not sure whether you are arguing or agreeing:ugh:

For simplicity, note there is NO wire 3 up to the Master Socket from the Downside line and therefore 'tampering' with it is not against the T&C. There is a lot of information you can find on the web about this.

Mike-Bracknell
5th Mar 2012, 08:15
Incidentally, I had the conversation about my 'illegal' tampering with my house phone wiring (rewiring to the outside junction box) with a BT engineer, and was told that if they found nothing wrong with your work they could 'adopt' your wiring as theirs.

mixture
5th Mar 2012, 08:26
BOAC,

Given your original statement was ....

refers to the BT line INTO and as FAR AS the master socket.

I am disagreeing. Arguing is a bit of a harsh word. :cool:

BOAC
5th Mar 2012, 09:16
they could 'adopt' your wiring as theirs. - I guess that depends a little on which side of the bed the engineer got out and why he visited:)

Mr Optimistic
5th Mar 2012, 14:39
I've had the same experience, BT engineers perfectly happy with my 'tampering': even suggested a few changes I could think about. I had to repair the installation after the last visit (swop A and B wires). Only had them out twice in 10 years so not an exhaustive sample I agree. Have had similar understanding service from the overhead electrical supply engineers, though I don't think they knew it was my tree-lopping activities which (may or may not have) caused the pole to break............:\