View Full Version : Block hours in the U.S.

Java
29th May 2001, 04:19
Can anyone tell me of some good places in the U.S. that you can go and buy some block hours, say 100 hrs multi.

Cheers

Java

HomerSimpson
29th May 2001, 06:55
Java,

When/if you find any places would you please let me know. I am looking to build multi hours too, however the US is such a huge place there are schools all over the place with twins. I hope the cheap ones are easy to find!!

If I find any good ones I'll let you know.

Regards,
Homer ;)

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

Strangely Brown
29th May 2001, 13:02
Air Desert Pacific - La Verne, California. 100 hours in Seminole/Seneca $109.00 wet per hour. I couldn't find cheaper anywhere in the world. Based on 100 hour block.

outofsight
29th May 2001, 13:27
Try Stapleford USA, in Tulsa Oklaholma. They've just started doing hour building in 152's and have access to a duchess at some pretty good rates.
The guy running the operation is Yuri and the bonus is that it's all run by people who know the UK system inside out. Yuri trains people for the CAA comercial GFT and I was real impressed when I was there a month ago.
Also the aircraft are available when you want them not just overnight for hour building like at some places.

give yuri a call on USA 918 299 9509

tell him what you want/need and he'll sort it

------------------

Zeke
29th May 2001, 14:01
In the back of the american flying mag they have an add that used to run every issue for a mob that does 100 hrs for about US$5000

:rolleyes:

ickle black box
29th May 2001, 15:49
An easy place to go is Ormond Beach Aviation FL. 100 hours is £3,875 in a C150, which includes being picked up at the airport, and 28 days accomodation. It's not the cheapest though. Search on the internet, there are a lot of places in the US, but most don't included the accomodation.

Java
29th May 2001, 18:04
Thanks for all of your replies, greatly appreciated.

Java

GoneWest
30th May 2001, 06:43
I thought the name of the Florida school was banned by Chief pprune - whether it be good or bad.

I'll save my 'search' for when the DSL connection is put in next month - but I do remember him saying that we shall not mention that school in any context, good or bad.

Surely we cant have pprune threatened with legal action for every bad word anybody says - yet people are allowed to publicly applaud it.

Sensible
30th May 2001, 21:08
Yes, but the Capt doesn't pick up flack for allowing sweet things to be said!

scroggs
31st May 2001, 01:22
Exactly! Incidentally, Ickle, the question referred to multi hours. 100 at your price would most certainly be a bargain!

------------------
Scroggs
Wannabe Forum Moderator
[email protected]

ravenx
31st May 2001, 01:40
While we're on the subject - anyone know any good or bad things about Western Michigan University - they seem to have the necessaries to award JAR ATPL's - few and far between in the states

Sensible
31st May 2001, 02:19
Would the C150 be the larger version of the C130 Hercules? :) :)

Office Update
2nd Jun 2001, 08:16
You guys should remember the Aussie dollar is so bad that aircraft rental in Australia is very cheap at present.
You can buy a block of 100 hrs at a discount or see the whole country. C-150 to big twins.
[email protected]

go
2nd Jun 2001, 12:41
aviator at ft pierce 55usd per hour in be76 but its always with somone else,,faa seem to let you log p2 time...I wondered whether you could sit in the left hand seat and log all p1..that is if you could persuade your other pilot to always sit in the right??bit of a grey area though and im sure the caa are wise to it..you could hire the a/c for 110 usd so its still cheap and the a/c are pretty good.

Grandad Flyer
2nd Jun 2001, 13:09
Also recommend Air Desert Pacific. Great flying out of California. Speak to Ari Lapin, the owner, for the best deal. Loads of aircraft and on site maintenance. They'll have it straight out the hangar for you to go do your 100 hours. Cross country is no problem at all. The Piper Warrior/ Archer package is very good. Don't forget to go do all the night, cross country and instrument hours you fancy as its all free. No instrument approach or landing fees.
Fly into some big airports.
Get a copy of the AOPA handbook when you arrive, its full of useful info on all US airports, including info on FBOs opening hours, where to eat and sleep, which FBOs give courtesy cars and have free crew rest areas (bunk rooms etc.).
Accommodation at ADP is cheap but suggest you go do some cross country anyway. Austin, Texas has a great crew bunk room.

AK747
2nd Jun 2001, 18:16
Java email me
I might be able to help you out...

Sensible
2nd Jun 2001, 18:45
You could do a lot worse than Air Desert Pacific, if you are going without a partner, you may wish to consider the accommodation at ADP, its a large residential bungalow with facilities including washing machine, cooking facilities etc. although it is a bit tired. I didn't actually stay there, only visited. What I did find was that it smelt badly of cigarettes and for that reason alone, I would not consider it. There are lots good accommodations around the area, ADP can get you good discounts too.

Rental rates increased ever so slightly a couple of months ago, so information in old copies of Pilot etc may be inaccurate. Check their webb page http://www.adp-flight.com/

The folks at ADP are great and certainly neither I nor anybody else had cause to complain about "extra costs"

The aircraft are not new, but as Grandad Flyer says, the aircraft come out of ADP's own workshops with a fresh 100hr.

The airspace around La Verne is incredibly busy and so is very good experience. Loads of airports close by many kitted out with ILS's and lots of heavy traffic including commercial jets.

Colin is the manager at ADP, he is very friendly and the people at ADP actually put themselves out if you have a preference for a particular aircraft.

Pub User
3rd Jun 2001, 02:41
A chap called Don MacAuley I bumped into at Gatwick has a contact in Florida who hires a twin for $90 per hour.

Contact [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Pub User (edited 02 June 2001).]

mwashi
7th Jun 2001, 20:30
Ravenx
WMU is really good if you are an airline sponsered cadet, or self sponsored with a lot of money. They have one of the best fleet for a flight school in the nation, with an average of 3-years old.
The fleet consists of C172 R models with GPS, Mooney Ovations with GPS and EFIS, Seneca IV with GPS and EFIS, and Extra 300 for aerobatic manuvers. I was on the FAA side of the training, but it was the best training I have ever had, very disciplined to the airlines standards.
They also have frasca sims and a brand new 737 full motion sim.

ravenx
12th Jun 2001, 02:46
mwashi,

Thanks for that. Do you know if they still have the JAA approval for ATPL training ??

mwashi
14th Jun 2001, 01:12
Hello Ravenx

Visit WMU college of aviation website at
www.aviation.wmich.edu (http://www.aviation.wmich.edu)

Good luck to you.