PDA

View Full Version : loading/reloading Office

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Mar 2012, 13:44
If I can't crack this I'm likely to turn to excessive quantities of alcohol in the very near future.

9 days since laptop self-ingested its own motherboard. Hard disk recovered and 100% operational (this is now in a USP cradle) which I can read and write to with no problems form the machine which I expected to become my desktop solution for the forseeable future.

The offending machine is a little used device which in theory was acting as a server (one back office application - never implemented), a couple of shared design programmes, some shared files and mass back-up device on second drive (currently removed).

It won't let me load Windows Office (I have tried the original pack and a brand new unopened pack) - it gives an 'error 1046' and tells me to verify sufficient permissions to access the registry.

Signe din as administrator, have checked adminsitartor rights OK, have tried as both the administrators, have tried right clicking and 'run as administrator' on both set-up files (Copy 1 and copy 2) - still the same error.

As an experiment tried opening the winword.exe (right click - run as administrator) on the old disk (cradle via USB as above) and it advised insufficient disk space or memory (neither of which causes is valid - plenty of space on both discks and oodles of RAM, everything else operating fine).

Now, where's the JD !!!

Mike-Bracknell
2nd Mar 2012, 14:37
Are you running some shonky 3rd party "internet security" package?

If so, uninstall it, install MS Security Essentials and use the MS firewall, and try again.

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Mar 2012, 14:57
Norton 360 V5 - disabled it early in the process

You would recommend removing it ?

Milo Minderbinder
2nd Mar 2012, 19:57
Which versions of Office and Windows?

Racking my brains to remember the fix for a similar problem I had a couple of weeks ago - the fix was just copying a couple of files into Windows that were missing. I think this is something similar
Can yo give us the full text of the error message?
If its what I'm thinking it was damned hard to find - I needed the exact text to track it down

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Mar 2012, 21:42
Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2

Office Professional 2007 / Office Ultimate 2007 (I have spare licences on original discs for both)

I would really appreciate help on this one as its got me beat.

I recently (a couple of days ago) installed Fusion 10 on the system with no problems (but I have to start it with right click, select 'run as administrator) which I have never needed to do before.

Senior Paper Monitor
2nd Mar 2012, 21:51
And now the error message (occurs about 80% through installation - disk 1 whether I give it a key at beginning or not) .....

Error 1406. Setup cannot write the value to the registry key
\CLSID\{F0291081-E87C-4E07-97DA-A0A03761E586}. Verify that you have
sufficient permissions to access the registry or contact Microsoft Product Support
Services (PSS) for assistance. For information about how to contact PSS,
seeC:\Users\Server\AppData\Local\Temp\Setup00001220\PSS10R.C HM

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Mar 2012, 00:35
1) I f you have any McAfee software on the machine, uninstall it
2) Try the "fixit" on this page
You receive an error message when you install an Office program or open an Office program or document (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/838687)

3) If that fails try this

"Try giving permissons under the regsitry.
start> type in REGEDIT>
browse to following locations:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SketchObj.SketchInk
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SketchObj.SketchInk.1
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HWXInk.E-Ink
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\HWXInk.E-Ink.1
Right click on each folder and give full control permissions and then try installing office."

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 11:21
I really appreciate the input(s), I'd already done one and two on Mindbender's list but have now done three, and ....

same error message !!!

I'm now trying to uninstall Norton and its refusing (starts the 'preparing to remove' and nontinues in that state for ever.

Fortunately web access is no problem so Sainsbury's should deliver the required case of JD shortly !!

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 11:48
.... and before I spend the afternoon with Uncle Jack !!!!

The Norton uninstall just hangs up, won't stop or close and prevents control/alt/delete response so have to power down to stop it.

I have tried again with the old disc/cradle unattached (just in case) and same prblem.

Methinks that the problem lies with Norton.

Any ideas on the way forward ??

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 12:52
I downloaded the Norton uninstall tool and this appears to have done the job on Norton - HURRAH !!!!

But it still won't load Office - same error !

I am completely befuddled (and that's before the Jack Daniels) !!

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Mar 2012, 12:52
Uninstall Norton. Use the removal tool if necessary.

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 13:14
Holy crossed message Batman !!

On the basis of actions to date (and I loaded Fusion 10 without a problem just a few days before - although it does need starting 'as administrator') I suspect this is specific to Office .

What if i was to try downloading 2010 version trial (hopefully run it for 30 or 60 days or whatever they give you these days and hopefully fix the problem in the interim) ....

Is this likely to work ?

Is it going to cause me problems switching back to 2007 (if I ever solve this problem) - I see nothing in 1010 that will imporve my life ?

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Mar 2012, 13:38
Better idea will be to try the download versions of Office 2007 and see if they install

Ultimate
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X12-30307/X12-30307.exe

Professional
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent.net/msoffice/pub/X12-30196/X12-30196.exe

This are real downloads from Digital River - NOT bootlegs

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 14:16
Tried that - same error.

I'm now completely out of ideas - anyone ?

I am going to try loading Adobe Pro (I would normally load after Office) - and see if that fails as well or whether its just Office.

Actually, thinking about it I loaded FileZilla a few days ago - no problem (but still going to try Adobe as well and Vuescan)

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 14:59
Acrobat Pro loaded like a dream - Vuescan the same.

Its obviously (I assume) Windows/Office related - but I have no idea what !

Any other suggestions (please) ?

Milo Minderbinder
3rd Mar 2012, 16:02
another idea here Office Error 1406 in Vista 32 (http://www.microsoft-office-answers.com/microsoft/Office-Setup/32643255/error-1406-in-vista-32.aspx)

Senior Paper Monitor
3rd Mar 2012, 20:34
I appreciate the continued input

I'll have a go early tomorrow - looks like it would be better conducted sober !!

Mike-Bracknell
3rd Mar 2012, 21:11
To be honest, given that it failed to install Office (a pretty trivial task), and failed to uninstall Norton, you're looking at the distinct possibility that something is fundamentally borked which you won't easily fix with back-and-forth queries from us.

If it was me, i'd have ensured everything is backed up, and blatted the machine. A complete rebuild usually takes me 4 hours in total.

mixture
4th Mar 2012, 12:14
^^^

I'll go with what Mike said.

Loose rivets
4th Mar 2012, 23:36
Milo posted:

Professional
http://msft-dnl.digitalrivercontent..../X12-30196.exe

This are real downloads from Digital River - NOT bootlegs

If I downloaded that, how would I go about getting the key for it?

I have 2007 on my laptop, but it's my daughter's, and I've just noticed some sales saying 3 pc but ONE PERSON. Obviously she can't be on both sides of the Atlantic at once, so I need to release her key.

All I want is 2007 or 2010 Word. Nothing else, but it seems as costly as buying Office. Tedious. I do need the 3 pc deal however and that doesn't seem to come with word. (looking at Amazon as suggested on another thread/post.)

Milo Minderbinder
5th Mar 2012, 00:02
Loose rivets
strictly you wold not be licenced to use it, for as you say - its only a one-user pack. The idea is you have one copy on your PC, one on your laptop, one on your notebook, but at any one time you would only ever be likely to use one at a time..

In reality there is no technical reason to stop you using it on far sides of the Atlantic simultaneously. I can't say more without breaching this sites TOS

If you need to recover the product key because you can't find the cert of authenticity key, Google "magical jelly bean"

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2012, 03:04
I've more or less accepted I'll have to relinquish my daughter's program because she will need it for the laptop that replaces the one I loaned her, but how do I legalize/pay for the download from the link you've suggested?

I've had a look at it and of course it's asking for the key as per normal.

Amazon seem to be selling keys/booklets, but they are virtually the same price as bigger packs. Nothing seems to make sense on the pricing of these things.

mixture
5th Mar 2012, 06:22
The idea is you have one copy on your PC, one on your laptop, one on your notebook, but at any one time you would only ever be likely to use one at a time..

:=

That's a breach of license anyway.

Its .... ONE Desktop and ONE laptop.

You may install a copy on a portable device for use by the single primary user of the licensed device.

My highlighting.

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2012, 16:43
This is the one that led me to believe otherwise.

Ah, I see link won't let us go there directly, but it was Amazon\software\office and there it was 3PC/ one user.

Wife and I really need 3 user, so I'm interested in finding out the truth. They wouldn't differentiate between a man and his wife . . . would they? :uhoh:

So darn confusing. Makes me want to throw the PCs away and buy a box of crayons.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=software

mixture
5th Mar 2012, 17:09
From the MSLT for Office 2010

12. HOME AND STUDENT SOFTWARE. For software marked “Home and Student” edition, you may install one copy of the software on up to three licensed devices in your household for use by people for whom that is their primary residence. The software may not be used for commercial, non- profit, or revenue-generating activities.

You may also wish to find out whether your and your wife's employer participates in the Home Use Program, as that might be an alternative cheap and legal way of getting hold of a couple of copies of office for home.

See here. (http://www.microsofthup.com/hupuk/home.aspx?culture=en-GB)

MidlandDeltic
5th Mar 2012, 17:19
Do you really need MS Office? Personally, I use the free OpenOffice - it does everything MS Office does (apart from the high level functions of Access), is regularly updated and reads and writes all MS Office formats. When sufficient users switch, MS may come into the real world as regards installation and pricing :)

MD

mixture
5th Mar 2012, 17:39
personally, I use the free OpenOffice - it does everything MS Office does (apart from the high level functions of Access)

Allow me to rephrase that for you Sir.

"it does everything that I do in MS Office"

There are limitations in OpenOffice (beyond whatever Access items you allude to). Its just a case that you are not aware of them because you don't use that specific functionality.

Believe me, I've seen tightwad IT managers attempt to deploy OpenOffice organisation wide so that they can continue licking the Financial Director's backside because they are "saving money". Within less than 48 hours, Microsoft Office was redeployed and the IT manager shown the door due to people in revenue generating positions being unable to use the functionality they need (or finding the OpenOffice functionality too limited or incompatible).

When sufficient users switch, MS may come into the real world as regards installation and pricing

Total nonsense.

You fail to comprehend Microsoft marketshare, in particular their business marketshare.

You fail to comprehend, for example, the relationship between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Exchange, and hence the sales of Office that derive from that.

Office is not going anywhere any time soon, and I'm fairly confident you'll find Microsoft are not quaking in their boots about Open Orifice.

Price points on Microsoft office are a lot better than they used to be. Nor can you argue against the good value of the "Home & Student" license for three PCs as highlighted above (this never existed a few years ago, only the Student license).

Similarly, if people fail to take advantage of OEM licensing when they buy a new PC then they've only got themselves to blame when buying add-ons at a later date.

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2012, 18:28
Thanks for clarifying that for us. However:

You may also wish to find out whether your and your wife's employer

Don't I wish. With a summed age of 138 years, not too many people are banging on our door.

I wonder what would happen if I did manage to sell my book. Against all odds, I know, but what if? Would they then be able to say I'd used if for commercial use? Unlikely it will be put to the test.

I'm a WP8 devotee. Just a comfy cardigan for me. However, the final edit must be done in MS Word, to be quite sure of the layout when it hit's the agent's screen. There's a lot of it, and a rewrite would probably have to be done posthumously.:}

Milo Minderbinder
5th Mar 2012, 18:49
"final edit must be done in MS Word,"

Surprised at that - I'd have though they would have wanted Publisher, not Word

Just think yourself lucky its not a real old-style academic publishing house demanding it in LaTeX.

Loose rivets
5th Mar 2012, 20:20
Mmm . . . they'd have got it in red crayon.

However, some want one file and not in chapters. Others, one .pdf file. One has to bend to the requirements of the agents these days, and they seem to vary enormously.

Milo Minderbinder
5th Mar 2012, 20:48
Amazing how technology has improved really......back in 1985 I was part of a team which put together an 800 page sales catalogue. At the time others heralded it as the "first computer typeset book which integrated graphics and text"..."the way forward in technology"
When I think how we did it, I shudder.
The database of products and prices was pulled from a Cromemco Unix system.
Graphics were done by using a primitive chemical 2-D line-drawing program, on an early PC with no hard drive
Descriptive text was input onto an Apple Mac II, on which text / graphics integration also took place
We were lucky in having an extremely accurate typist, so that proof reading found few errors. But even so, it was incredibly difficult, and to this day I'm amazed we made it work. This was in the early days of personal computers , where no thought had been given to cross-platform compatibility. It still amazes me that - at that stage - it was possible to pull the three computer system together to produce a coherent whole. Its a shame the chap who was the brains behind ti never got the recognition he deserved