PDA

View Full Version : My Most Memorable Base Check (EC 225)

gnow
2nd Mar 2012, 11:48
It was a few months ago when we had a Eurocopter Instructor attached to our company for converting new 225 pilots. My base check was due and this kind instructor agreeded to perform my base check. We were good friends so I thought it was going to be a joy ride. I was however in for a shock as the check was totally unconventional. By the time we had a machine available it was already night. It was not a problem as it was an IF base Check combined with a Night Base check.
We did an IF departure from our shore based airport for a virtual location 20 miles offshore. The first failure was a TRU failure. Piece of cake as it says "Continue Flight" in the check list. About two minutes later the second TRU failed. It was pitch dark and to make the matter worse engineers had wire locked the Emergency Power Supply guard! He had the controls while I used my swiss knife to break the wire( I raised a hazrd report on the wire lock later). My LED torch provided some illumination while waiting for the two minutes for the Emergency power Supply to cut in. Meanwhile I had to struggle with the shedding. It was quite an experience struggling to locate the switches. Of course we had to rejoin for an ILS and towards the later part of the ILS fully coupled approach the AP Hydraulic failed. This was designed as a catch for system knowledge!(225 drivers will understand why).
On the misapproach from the ILS the autopilots failed (what a bad day!) and we proceeded offshore again to prepare for the second VOR approach (Non Precision).
Next on the agenda was Speed reduction to 40 kts at straight and level followed by COORDINATED climbing turns and descending turns without the autopilot. This was a very good exercise and we used to do this exercise when we were in the military many many years ago.
Engine fires and failures were thrown in and as a good pilot I asked for the check list after the Immediate Actions. Anwer from him was always " I can't find the check list in the dark". Good thing I remembered my drills as a lot of pilots depend on "Take out the emergency check list" to refer. This approach ended with a Single eng landing.
Susequently rejected take offs and continued take off after an eng failure was flown. I can use all or none of the upper modes in the exercise .
The base check ended with him asking me if there is any exercise that I would like to do. I requested for an Eng failure on the approach to the runway after LDP. It was granted . this check ride lasted 1.5 hours and is my most memrrable and interesting check ride in 35 years of helicopter flying.
Could you relate your most memorable check ride?

Shawn Coyle
2nd Mar 2012, 13:25
My most memorable check ride was almost the opposite of gnow's. I was being checked out on a Bell 412 for an EMS operation. I had a lot of 212 experience and thought I had one more training flight before the check ride. At the end of the supposed training flight, the chief pilot said 'You passed'. My slight disbelief was evident and I added - "But you didn't ever ask me what any of the limits were - the 2.5min OEI N1 limit, for example."
"Well, it's marked on the gauge isn't it?" He replied.
I started to reply "Well, yes but…" and before I could finish, he added "And if you had to exceed it to save your bacon, you'd exceed it, wouldn't you?"
"Yes"
"So why ask the question?"

SASless
2nd Mar 2012, 13:50
Shawn.....that was a very astute Check Pilot......no Bull****!

Not a checkride....but a simple ride in the Sim.

The American Airlines DC-10 Crash DFW weather model was in play....A North Sea trained Captain at the controls....and at the bottom of the ILS Approach he announced "Something is wrong!".

After a scan of the gages....both engines running...all instruments working...but a marked deviation below the Glide Slope....comment made about correcting back to the GS made. His Reply...."I can't!"

Heard said...."Errrrr...why not?"

"Out of power!"

Quick check of the dash.....everything was in the "GREEN".

Then said....."You got plenty left...pull some more!"

Short bit of time...."I still cannot stop the descent...."

Heard said...."Go to Vroc and pull maximum power!"

In a high squeaky voice...."It isn't working!"

Scan of the Dash again....He was right....still below the GS and not correcting....at Vbroc and Max power limits....now only a few hundred feet showing on the RadAlt.

Pull more power....interrupted by "I can't! We are at the Redlines!"

Then said....."We are about to crash for fecksakes!"....Collective then pulled up to the mechanical stop....and heard...."Pull Her till she bleeds....**** the Redlines!"

End result...no crash....one angry young Captain!

Lesson learned.....when you are crashing....Normal Limitations do not apply!

He has since gone on to being an Oil Company Aviation Advisor.....ah yes!