PDA

View Full Version : Modular Open Days

RedsBluesGreens
1st Mar 2012, 09:38
Hi all,

With the ink still drying on my Class 1, I am now looking at modular courses for ATPL.

Having looked at websites like OAT, CTC, etc, all the open days are for the integrated courses; there don't seem to be any for the modular courses.

Does anyone know of any modular open days anywhere?

(PLEASE NOTE: This is not an integrated vs. modular thread!)

Genghis the Engineer
1st Mar 2012, 10:05
It sort of works like this:

(1) Look at their website, learn as much as possible
(2) Phone up and ask to come and visit.
(3) Visit, get shown around, ask lots of questions.

The phone bit is technically not essential, but gives a much better chance of somebody being free to show you around.

Unlike integrated, modular schools don't have set course start and end points, so tend to be quite happy showing you around, and having you start, whenever it's convenient to everybody - which basically means when it's convenient to you. And also means that scheduled open days aren't the obvious way to do it.

G

horsebox
1st Mar 2012, 10:17
Some basic points:

Avoid paying large sums up front - just dont do it.

Draw up a short list, ring them up, go visit, talk to current students ideally away from the management, get a warts and all picture. Look at the fleet, more important than the type of aircraft, is the serviceability of the fleet. Is there a single point of failure ie just one multi engine aircraft. Have they got a sim, does it match the aircraft etc etc.

Most problems with cpl/ir training is an aircraft going off line, and training grinding to a halt.

Lastly a good school can turn bad very quickly - just by an aircraft going off line or a key staff member leaving. So take note of recommendations from friends etc, but bear in mind that situations change overnight. With that in mind dont commit to anything too far in advance. Best get groundschool out of the way, before you spend to much time looking at schools for the flight training element.

windypops
1st Mar 2012, 10:32
Your sub conscious is actually pretty good at doing a lot of the work for you. Therefore visit the schools, spend some time there chatting to people and just getting a "general feel". Your senses will tune in to your new surroundings and you will build an opinion on the place. Don't rush it though.

Repeat this at quite a few schools and the combination of all your research will make your decision making a lot easier.

I know it all sounds a bit "hippy" but I found it worked. I walked into one school and immediately knew it was where I wanted to train. I of course stuck to my system of chatting to instructors, students and asking the important questions.

Oh and NEVER pay up front. I would say a small deposit is acceptable but if anyone is asking for more than that then thank them and walk away. It's tough out there and I'm sure there are a lot of places out there who above water look calm and relaxed but underwater are paddling like crazy to stay afloat.

mad_jock
1st Mar 2012, 10:55
open days and assements are for a large part marketing and revenue generating.

Assements are a good thing in my opinion but how you steer that for a customer who wants to spend mutliple 10's of thousands I have always had my doudts especially when times are tough.

Again open days and assements are to make the punter feel special and that they have something different compared to the rest. Thus making them more willing to pay for what they think is a premium product.

Most mod schools don't need to bother as there advertising is done by word of mouth and if they are training at capacity or a bit below they don't need to.

Bigger schools have huge overheads and they need a steady through put otherwise they quite quickly get into trouble with cash flow as cabair have proved. They need folk to sign up and pay cash months in advance of starting otherwise the trouble starts getting the current students through.

In some ways is quite like a pyramid selling scheme where by the current students are really desperate that new punters turn up because the money from the new punters is paying for the fuel etc to allow them to get the training done.

FirstOfficer
1st Mar 2012, 11:02
RedsBluesGreens,

Have a look at Stapleford Flight Centre, I believe they offer open days for modular route.

BigGrecian
1st Mar 2012, 16:06
our sub conscious is actually pretty good at doing a lot of the work for you. Therefore visit the schools, spend some time there chatting to people and just getting a "general feel". Your senses will tune in to your new surroundings and you will build an opinion on the place. Don't rush it though.

Repeat this at quite a few schools and the combination of all your research will make your decision making a lot easier.

I know it all sounds a bit "hippy" but I found it worked. I walked into one school and immediately knew it was where I wanted to train. I of course stuck to my system of chatting to instructors, students and asking the important questions.

Oh and NEVER pay up front. I would say a small deposit is acceptable but if anyone is asking for more than that then thank them and walk away. It's tough out there and I'm sure there are a lot of places out there who above water look calm and relaxed but underwater are paddling like crazy to stay afloat.

One of the best bits of advise I've ever read on PPrune.

Also if you considering going to the USA - got there and visit to get a feel - I did and it was black to white the atmosphere at the schools across there and so obvious which were the better schools - but you wouldn't know that without visiting.

flystrathclyde
1st Mar 2012, 18:00
Modular and structured modular courses are available at Perth Airport in Scotland.

There have been a few open days but visitors are made welcome on a one to one basis covering all aspects of the courses either from ZERO or at any point of your training.

RedsBluesGreens
2nd Mar 2012, 16:30
Thanks for all your replies.

I emailed BCFT last night and got a response from them this morning, with an information pack attached, saying they prefer to meet students one-to-one, which is good. I will definitely be dropping into them soon (if I can stomach the landing fees!)