PDA

View Full Version : Intertropical Convergence Zone

nel2011
29th Feb 2012, 20:37
I am going to fly from Europe to Brazil and should like to know how bumpy this journey through the Intertropical Convergence Zone usually is ? I understand that there are always massive cells of thunderstorms all along this zone and that the pilot has to do his best to find his way through these systems. But I also learn that these cells can build up very quickly and that the pilot on his radar maybe can see a minor cell in front of him but not the giant one just behind waiting (AF447 ?). Saying that why does most airlines choose to fly during the night where the pilot cannot see these cells but have to rely on radar only.

Cyrano
29th Feb 2012, 20:44
You may find the "Passengers and SLF" forum is more relevant for this question.

ETOPS
29th Feb 2012, 20:46
nel2011

I've been flying from Europe to Brazil for over 10 years now. I can honestly say you are getting worried unnecessarily. We treat the weather over the Equatorial zone with great respect and always avoid the worst storms by a wide margin. I'm very sorry that AF came to grief on that route but there are hundreds of safe flights per month and I would be happy to fly as a passenger with all the major airlines operating there.

Remember - the crews want to get home just as much as you do......