PDA

View Full Version : The Rivetess' other occurrence. So as not to confuse

Loose rivets
29th Feb 2012, 17:40
After resetting the SWIMBO's laptop, we were back to a point where Adobe was old, and McAfee seemed to have regained a foothold.

Got rid of McAfee again and got Adobe to update, taking very great care to un-check the McAfee download box.

But first, we had to un-check a Chrome download box.

Grrrrrr. Why do Adobe do this?

Anyway, all downloaded, but we are offered something to do with Internet Explorer right in the middle of the process. SHUT THAT DOWN. and press on with the Install. Everything absolutely bog standard. Successful, it tells me.

Check the Reader, and it's still V8. No sign at all - anywhere - of V 10.

Was it because I didn't play ball with the IE part of it, and if so, what is motivating Adobe to fill people's computers with other stuff?

green granite
29th Feb 2012, 17:58
I ban the updater from accessing the net, I don't use the reader either.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Feb 2012, 18:19
to answer your questions
Adobe (and others) get a kickback from Google for every download of Chrome

On the other point, the download may have completed, but the installation didn't. Maybe something you did, maybe a minor problem with your PC
Several ways round it
Either download from the ftp site and manually install:
ftp://ftp.adobe.com/pub/adobe/reader/win/10.x/10.1.2/en_US/AdbeRdr1012_en_US.exe
or
uninstall the Adobe reader and use the Foxit reader instead
Secure PDF Reader (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/)
or
uninstall the Adobe readeer and use Amazon's Kindle software
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000493771

Loose rivets
29th Feb 2012, 19:13
Thanks for the input chaps.

I've been pleased with Adobe, but yes, the time may well be right for a change.

I'm very interested in getting to grips with all aspects of Kindle, as years of work on a book are nearing an end. I use Kindle for PC, but that's as far as I've got.

The Rivetess' computer is chugging along after setting it back to the 22nd of Feb, and I hope we will both be on W7 on our laptops soon, so not too bothered - unless there is a Nasty lurking.

We use Security Essentials on these and the two PCs. Right now, nothing else. But that's (yet) another issue.

vulcanised
29th Feb 2012, 19:42
I've been using Foxit for a number of years and there's no way I'd go back to Adobe.

Milo Minderbinder
29th Feb 2012, 19:45
The Kindle PC software will display PDF files, so if you have it on the machine theres really no need for the Adobe Reader

Loose rivets
29th Feb 2012, 21:30
Foxit site mentions a bar and it implies I can create a pdf with this software. Is this correct?

If so, must I have another bar permanently on the screen?

Milo Minderbinder
1st Mar 2012, 15:37
Only by using Foxits online web service
Not the best way to do iy. Don't install the toolbar

If you want to create PDFs for free, se PDFCreator - it installs as a printer driver, is open source, and free
PDFCreator | Free Business & Enterprise software downloads at SourceForge.net (http://sourceforge.net/projects/pdfcreator/)

this also invites you to install a toolbar - just untick it. Yo do not need it

Loose rivets
1st Mar 2012, 21:14
No, I didn't install the bar. Minimalist, me.

I've used PrimoPDF, but had hoped to get one package that would do the lot. Still, not as though I need it every day. I'll try PDFCreator. :ok:

glad rag
4th Mar 2012, 12:24
Thanks Milo, after taking 3 hours to sort out Adobe's latest patch to allow it to PRINT Foxit looks like a good bet!