PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ordered their Raspberry Pi yet?

green granite
29th Feb 2012, 15:50
The Raspberry Pi is a credit-card sized computer board that plugs into a TV and a keyboard. It’s a miniature ARM-based PC which can be used for many of the things that a desktop PC does, like spreadsheets, word-processing and games. It also plays High-Definition video.

Register here to express an interest in Raspberry Pi (http://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=raspberrypi&cm_mmc=UK-PPC-0212-_-02_Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_PI-_-Raspberry_Pi)

mixture
29th Feb 2012, 16:50
Good luck in getting an account with RS if you're not a business.

green granite
29th Feb 2012, 18:02
You can buy from RS using a credit card, I've never had any problems.

Mike-Bracknell
29th Feb 2012, 19:12
They all sold out within minutes of going on sale.

I'm personally waiting for a hopeful upgrade of having the NIC do PoE.

randyrippley
29th Feb 2012, 19:43
read the review on Wiki
it can't even run a current version of Ubuntu or other mainstream Linux variants

green granite
29th Feb 2012, 20:16
Why would you want to? Fedora is a perfectly good OS

davidjohnson6
1st Mar 2012, 21:31
Can someone explain the purpose of buying a Raspberry Pi for personal use ? Most people I know already have a PC or Mac of their own and many also have a mobile computer masquerading as an iPhone or Android device.

Genghis the Engineer
1st Mar 2012, 22:53
I can see a huge numbers of hobby and homework projects coming out of the wee beastie.

G

green granite
2nd Mar 2012, 07:05
For any competent hobbyist it would make a good basis for a media center.

mixture
2nd Mar 2012, 08:00
davidjohnson6,

It's for hobbyists who like to fiddle around and maybe even write scripts and code.

If you're not the above, and prefer just using off-the-shelf solutions then it's not for you.

Mike-Bracknell
2nd Mar 2012, 08:33
For any competent hobbyist it would make a good basis for a media center.

Exactly what my first two will be used for. I also foresee some method by which it's mountable on a VESA mount, and uses PoE (hence my earlier comment - although power via USB from the TV would work too).

ExGrunt
2nd Mar 2012, 10:05
Can someone explain the purpose of buying a Raspberry Pi for personal use ?

There are a whole host of applications for which a small solid state headless server is ideal for.

For example, I could see one happily replace my current email server.

It will be interesting to see who comes up with the first pre-drilled box for it to fit into.

EG

Genghis the Engineer
4th Mar 2012, 15:04
It will be interesting to see who comes up with the first pre-drilled box for it to fit into.

EG

Custom case for Raspberry Pi Model B *professional! Recycled!* | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Custom-case-Raspberry-Pi-Model-B-professional-Recycled-/290677470826?pt=UK_Computing_DesktopComponents_RL&hash=item43adba366a)

:) :) :) :)

G