PDA

View Full Version : Just do it...............

Wedge
8th Sep 2001, 20:22
.......in the words of the sports wear maker advert.

But I have a serious point to make. I have been a member of PPRuNe since the early days and one thing occurs to me about a lot of the threads we now see on Wannabes, you know the sort: "Am I too old? Do I have the right qualifications? I am worried about the drop out rate among wannabes, does this mean I will drop out? Am I too tall? Too short? Too fat? To thin? Too ugly" and even once "do you 'need to look like a pilot'!!!!!!!!!'" whatever a pilot looks like!!!

I think we see too many questions like this. I can understand the point, it's a hard career to get into and a lot of people wonder if they have what it takes. Well you only need to be one thing to be a pilot (besides reasonably fit and healthy) - DETERMINED. Forget the statistics, forget the drop out rates, do not compare yourself to others, just ask yourself "How much do I really want to be a pilot" because it is the ones who can answer "more than anything else" who will eventually make it. I know it sounds very trite but it's also very true - the ones who will make it are the ones who want it most. The ones who are prepared to make the most sacrifices - the ones who are prepared to sacrifice everything else to do it. It doesn't mean you necessarily will have to sacrifice evertything but you will have to make some sacrifices - as indeed all pilots have to by working unsociable hours, weekends, and being away from home and family often.

In my case, I believe I do want more than anything else to be an airline pilot, however due to a medical problem I have had to put it all on hold. Hopefully not for much longer, I am 26 so time is still on my side and I hope to be there one day, frustrating though it is not to be able to follow the dream right now.

So for all you wannabes reading this - some of you will make it and some of you won't. Some will drop out voluntarily and some will drop out for reasons (eg medical) beyond their control. But some of you will make it - and if you want to be one of those, then stop asking any or all of the questions above and ask yourself "How much do I want it?" If the answer is......more than all the rest, then you will make it.

JFDI!!!! I'll leave you to work that one out if you don't know it already!

Good luck to all of you :)

VFE
9th Sep 2001, 15:19
Well intentioned post Wedge but to be able to JFDI you need to have a few answers to certain questions. I believe this forum was set up for just that purpose. I enjoy seeing the same questions pop up now and again because you always get new contributions from new posters.

Where else would you get the answers?

VFE.

Eddy must fly
10th Sep 2001, 12:25
GOOD THREAD WEDGE!!!

10th Sep 2001, 15:51
Good post!

10th Sep 2001, 16:29
Yo!

G SXTY
10th Sep 2001, 17:03
True enough, every commercial pilot I’ve ever met has mentioned determination as the most important factor (even more so than cash). However, all the blood sweat & tears in the world won’t be much use if you are too short, or too tall, or too short-sighted, etc.

IMHO, this forum does an excellent job at giving people all the information they need to make accurate decisions about whether and how to go for it, and then encouraging them when they’ve decided to take the plunge. I’d much prefer to see the same questions coming up every now and then, than hear of someone blowing thousands only to discover they can't get a class 1 . . .

[ 10 September 2001: Message edited by: G SXTY ]

NigelS
10th Sep 2001, 17:41
Wedge
We will continue to see the same old questions asked over and over. There are new people finding Pprune each day and they can't all appreciate the system in one go. The search facility rarely works and isn't exactly obvious. Cut some slack to the new boys and girls. There may be a common theme to the bulk of their fears but just go with it.. add some value to the site and give information to your less experienced colleagues. That's what we're here for.

Ciao ciao

Nige

kabz
10th Sep 2001, 18:11
Scroggs et al, why not create an FAQ, which could be looked at before posting the standard questions which we all see, time and time again.

Especially as searching seems to be less available, a bunch of common threads pulled into an FAQ, might be a good idea.

Pilot FAQ:
Types of careers
Medical requirements
Finding a school instructor
Initial training
Further training
License conversion
Day in the life of ...
Flying the big jets ...