PDA

View Full Version : Op Deny Summer holiday

mymatetcm
28th Feb 2012, 19:12
All been told today to take out extra cancellation insurance for any summer holidays booked due to Olympic duties. i don't think we will be the last!!

MATELO
28th Feb 2012, 20:06
I was planning on that when I was still 5 years ago.

Shouldn't be a surprise to anybody.

alfred_the_great
28th Feb 2012, 21:07
Just deploy to the ME or Afg. Simple.

Grimweasel
28th Feb 2012, 22:37
Sod that - After the Jun 12 announcement I hope to be on resettlement! ;-)

Scuttled
28th Feb 2012, 22:59
Ummm. The redundancy announcement fella, do keep up!

Jayand
29th Feb 2012, 11:07
Not sure resettlement will save you.

BEagle
29th Feb 2012, 12:14
Just to add to the fun, I see Len McCluskey has been muttering about strike action and civil disobedience during this osbscene self indulgent farce of the Olympics.... That soon had the politicos all squealing with shocked horror.

Interesting piece on BBC this morning about the exercise at Waddington. Some sniper in a helicopter making gestures at a light aircraft approaching exercise 'Olympic airspace'. But the Tutor was sitting just above cloud - so how would that work if he'd just popped down into cloud? Or at night??

So, divert the overstretched UK armed forces from their normal activities and call out the reservists just for some 3-week sport-Billy session in London? That'll do wonders for morale....

I can well understand any employer who questions the need to release reservists to act as cheap labour for Boris. Another war might be one thing, but for the Olympics??

dctyke
29th Feb 2012, 12:35
At least we can sleep easy that the police will be on overtime and for those drafted in, good accomodation food and allowances!

SPIT
29th Feb 2012, 16:30
Hi
According to the BBC (who we all know is always right and accurate????) as a last measure an a/c may be shot down ?? . Who will accept responsibility if it comes down on civilians ???.:{:{:{

NutherA2
29th Feb 2012, 17:20
An entertaining quotable quote from a lady one star at Waddington on today’s lunchtime news; she announced with some pride that the RAF is in business 24/7 for 365 days a year. Today being the 29th Feb, does anyone know yet whether a date has been chosen yet for all of you still in the service not to have to go to work?

C130 Techie
29th Feb 2012, 19:42
Right or wrong, this certainly shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone as it has been topic of conversation since at least last summer. I briefed my guys and girls last September that it would be prudent to ensure that any holiday bookings were properly insured.

Not sure resettlement will save you

I think you will find that resettlement is a right and basically untouchable.

Tankertrashnav
29th Feb 2012, 21:36
she announced with some pride that the RAF is in business 24/7 for 365 days a year.

When I was serving there was no such time as 2400, so we reckoned that the 2 minutes between 2359 and 0001 were ours to do with as we wished.

Now the poor sods still serving dont even have that luxury :(

Courtney Mil
29th Feb 2012, 21:48
BEags,

Just to add to the fun, I see Len McCluskey has been muttering about strike action and civil disobedience during this osbscene self indulgent farce of the Olympics.... That soon had the politicos all squealing with shocked horror.

I may loathe what you say, but, by God, I'll defend your right to say it.

Interesting piece on BBC this morning about the exercise at Waddington. Some sniper in a helicopter making gestures at a light aircraft approaching exercise 'Olympic airspace'. But the Tutor was sitting just above cloud - so how would that work if he'd just popped down into cloud? Or at night??

F4 Phase 3 VID

So, divert the overstretched UK armed forces from their normal activities and call out the reservists just for some 3-week sport-Billy session in London? That'll do wonders for morale....

Ours is not to wonder why...

I can well understand any employer who questions the need to release reservists to act as cheap labour for Boris. Another war might be one thing, but for the Olympics??

Is it for employers to decide the validity of the reason for call up?

OK, I can't keep this up. You're right as ever, BEags. It really is all pants! Maybe another, better call on our war-fighters might turn up by then. So what happens then? We can't go into Iran/Syria/Otherplace, we're fully committed to Op Jockstrap!!

:ok:

500N
29th Feb 2012, 21:56
Talking about your Olympics, on our news the other day, a British Olympic organising person stood their and with a straight face, spoke for a minute saying everything to do with the Olympics, the stadiums, facilities etc were on or before time and on or under budget.

Will be the first one for a while that has been like that !

Seldomfitforpurpose
29th Feb 2012, 22:30
Not sure resettlement will save you.

Really, want to bet :ok:

teeteringhead
1st Mar 2012, 06:41
I think you will find that resettlement is a right and basically untouchable. .. not so sure. Terminal leave yes, but resettlement??

A while ago (and we've hardly become more "user-friendly" since!) one of my troops had resettlement cancelled for the Firemen's strike .....:(

OldnDaft
1st Mar 2012, 07:36
And resettlement can be taken after the discharge date!!

Unusual Attitude
1st Mar 2012, 09:51

I saw this also and chuckled as I wondered how a Puma would manage to keep up with some of the spanky new plastic GA stuff such as a Glasair which will cruise at 250mph+. Even my Rag and Tube pocket rocket will hit 200mph S&L....

Are things really that stretched we cant unleash a hawk or two for this sort of stuff?!?!

Blue Bottle
1st Mar 2012, 09:59
A Hawk with a sniper in, now that would be good to see...:cool:

Courtney Mil
1st Mar 2012, 10:03
Hawk? Again - so how would that work if he'd just popped down into cloud? Or at night??

BEagle
1st Mar 2012, 10:26
Assuming that the targets are indeed a threat....

You and I in a little toy shop
Buy a bag of balloons with the money we've got.
Set them free at the break of dawn
'Til one by one, they were gone.
Back at base, bugs in the software
Flash the message, Something's out there.
Floating in the summer sky.

99 red balloons go by.
99 red balloons.
floating in the summer sky.
Panic bells, it's red alert.
There's something here from somewhere else.
The war machine springs to life.
Opens up one eager eye.
Focusing it on the sky.
Where 99 red balloons go by.

Nena*'s protest song was originally about a nuclear war triggered by East German air defence software detecting 99 toy ballons as hostile aircraft....:hmm:

One hopes that the spooks have considered this 'threat' to the 'games'?

*who, now a 51 year old grandmother, is still sounding (and looking) pretty good!

Blue Bottle
1st Mar 2012, 10:52
Great song it was too, never knew the back ground to it so thanks for the triva, you just know it will be a quiz question one day ..;)

Courtney Mil
1st Mar 2012, 11:15
BEags,

who, now a 51 year old grandmother, is still sounding (and looking) pretty good!

Right, as ever.

teeteringhead
1st Mar 2012, 11:27
*who, now a 51 year old grandmother, is still sounding (and looking) pretty good! .... by an amazing coincidence, I know of (in a local estate) a 51 y.o. great grandmother ...

.... no - hang on - she certainly isn't still sounding (and looking) pretty good!

.... her daughter the 35 y.o. granny however ....

BEagle
1st Mar 2012, 12:01
For those who would doubt the considered opinion of a couple of old ex-air defence Düsenjagdflugzeugpiloten, here's proof positive:

o2PXnhxoQT4&feature=related

;)

Blue Bottle
1st Mar 2012, 12:40
Love it, great tune .. Happy days in Germany. Can we have the wall back please..

HTB
1st Mar 2012, 12:45
I wonder why it became "red" balloons in the English version when it was "Luftballons" in the original German?

Impressive to note from the German lyrics that the controlling general had a squadron of 99 fighters at hand to launch against the balloons (even if they did only hose down the horizon...)

But you're right, Nena's looking in pretty good shape.

Mister B:ok:

Melchett01
1st Mar 2012, 14:05
wonder why it became "red" balloons in the English version when it was "Luftballons" in the original German?

Probably part of the usual cold war anti-Soviet rhetoric that was all pervasive at the time - just look at the lyrics to some of the music out of Rocky 4. Anyway, I always prefered the original German to the English version; the young lady I was courting through my university days spent a year in Germany as part of her course, so I became thoroughly indoctrinated at every party into the German version of the track. Happy days.

Anyway, more importantly, Nena ... mmmmmmmmmm.

dctyke
1st Mar 2012, 14:27
Today in the skys over the sunny yorkshire wolds there was a Typhoon with a v high angle of attack trying (and failing) to keep parallel with a single engined civvy death plane. Maybe we should get the BBMF re-armed to defend the skys over our fair capitol city!

skua
1st Mar 2012, 14:45
As a jockey of a SEP these days, I thought it somewhat fatuous (& insulting, given the balance of probabilities) for a 1 star (I think) to suggest on the Beeb news yesterday that the reason for keeping a Typhoon on CAP in the summer will be the untold havoc that could be wrought by a piece of 150hp powered aluminium or composite. Maybe it washed with the great unwashed, but it is insulting the intelligence of the GA fraternity.

BTW which Whitehall budget is paying for the reheat scrambles from EGWU?

BEagle
1st Mar 2012, 14:45
I wonder why it became "red" balloons in the English version when it was "Luftballons" in the original German?

'Luftballon' in German translates simply as 'balloon'. 'Ninety nine balloons' wouldn't fit the tune; as the final balloon in the video was red and 'Ninety nine red balloons' would replace 'Neun un neunzig Luftballons' quite nicely, that's what was done.

Anyway, I always prefered the original German to the English version; the young lady I was courting through my university days spent a year in Germany as part of her course, so I became thoroughly indoctrinated at every party into the German version of the track. Happy days.

9whehyybLqU

Enjoy..............:ok:

I'd like to see a TypHoon trying to intercept a powered parachute emblazoned with 'Fathers for Justice' or somesuch...:uhoh: Perhaps the spooks would merely order a 'scrambled' helicopter's sniper to kill the parachutist to avoid embarrassment to HMG....?

ShyTorque
1st Mar 2012, 14:58
When I was serving there was no such time as 2400, so we reckoned that the 2 minutes between 2359 and 0001 were ours to do with as we wished.

True, my father used to tell a story about how he was charged with falling asleep on sentry duty during his National Service in Aden.

He got off the charge because the time of the alleged incident was put down as 2400 hrs. Mind you, that was back in 1946.

Hmm, Nena.. remember her from my Germany tour. Nice armpits.... :E

Willard Whyte
1st Mar 2012, 15:13
Probably part of the usual cold war anti-Soviet rhetoric that was all pervasive at the time

Always thought of that P.O.S. song as being anti-Western. Still do.

Wensleydale
1st Mar 2012, 15:28
Hmm, Nena.. remember her from my Germany tour. Nice armpits....

Another Bob Monkhouse quote....

"I used to go out with a girl who was half English; half German. She only shaved under one armpit".

Yellow Sun
1st Mar 2012, 15:56
Not a patch on "Good News Week"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrEHDV1e460

Now that was subversive in its day.

YS

BEagle
1st Mar 2012, 16:29
Most of 'Hedgehoppers Anonymous' were RAF airmen, who were based at RAF Wittering when the station had nuclear-equipped V-bombers. That must have had the SIB in low earth orbit!

(YS - Top Tip: If you edit your post to include just the string yrEHDV1e460 between the 'YouTube' brackets, you won't get that double post and text garbling.)

Courtney Mil
1st Mar 2012, 17:41
BEags,

Good video, but. Nena or Suzanna?

Melchett01
1st Mar 2012, 23:46
Thanks for posting the German version BEags, I'm now getting all dewey eyed and nostalgic for some very happy days in Germany!:ok:

HTB
2nd Mar 2012, 08:15
BEags - post#35

I know. 12 years continuous service in RAFG/NATO. German mother. Born in Germany. Lived in germany for the first 8 formative years of my life. Currently working in Germany.

It was a mildly ironic question, not quite litotes.

But the rest of the original lyrics took a bit of a bashing in translation as well, so I guess it was no big deal to insert "red" to keep the metre/scan of the tune.

As for Hedgehoppers - I recall seeing them on Top of the Pops in the '60s, slightly ahead of Barry McGuire's 1965 UK release of "Eve of Destrution"; another apocalyptic prophesy very much in the same vein.

But this is drifting miles away from the thread topic:

I think that all those full-time serving people and reservists who volunteer for these vital security tasks should be grateful. Just like Wimbledon, they will get front row seats for this great spectacle; rub shoulders with the world's greatest athletes; see stunning jock-strapping performances of epic proportions...won't they?

Mister B

Biggus
2nd Mar 2012, 13:07
HTB

The answer to your question is no.... or at best a very small % of them!

Canadian WokkaDoctor
2nd Mar 2012, 17:39
I think that all those full-time serving people and reservists who volunteer for these vital security tasks should be grateful. Just like Wimbledon, they will get front row seats for this great spectacle; rub shoulders with the world's greatest athletes; see stunning jock-strapping performances of epic proportions...won't they?

Don't Service Personnel that provide uniform "cover" at Wimbledon have to use 10 days of leave?.................Hang on, that idea could float with MoD; everyone that gets pinged for the Olympics needs to submit leave to cover their time away from primary duty, and while you’re at it, find your own accommodation too!

CWD