PDA

View Full Version : unofficial memorial flypast - query

LiSrt
27th Feb 2012, 12:52
My father (who was a navigator in the RAF for many years) died last November, and I'm investigating whether there is any possibility we could have some sort of an "unofficial" flypast at a memorial we're planning for him this Spring (probably early April).

The main question I have is whether this is allowed and remotely possible - I realise it's probably only likely if there was already some sort of exercise planned for the time and thought this forum would be a good place to check before something like writing a letter to the OC at Brize Norton.

(It would be the island of Luing, off the West coast of Scotland: Google Maps (http://maps.google.com/maps?sll=56.23,-5.63&z=13) )

The reasons behind this are that the RAF was a large part of his life, of which he definitely had fond memories, and when I was driving to the funeral I saw (completely coincidentally) a French C-130 flying in the same direction as we were going.

For those who are interested, his name was Hugh Smart and he served as a navigator on C-130s, VC10s and (I think) Wessex and Puma helicopters.
Over the years he was based at Lyneham, Finningley, Brize Norton, Cranwell, Mount Pleasant and possibly Aldergrove.

Before retiring, he was a navigator instructor - which is what I suppose most people currently in the RAF would remember if they knew him.

I can provide more information if necessary, please feel free to PM me or reply to this thread.

Even if the response is likely to be "Sorry mate, not going to happen." I'd be happy for friends, or anyone who knew him, to get in touch.

Thanks.

orca
27th Feb 2012, 13:00
Write to the OC of the base you want the aircraft to come from. So long as the guys can do it as part of a bona fide sortie then you may be lucky.

Asking someone to do something unofficial (I assume you mean fly over by accident, accidently getting the TOT right) would have stood a chance of working before the whole world felt the need to put anything and everything on Youtube.

fincastle84
27th Feb 2012, 14:00
My father in law, en ex Wop Ag passed away in June & I managed to get a local base to provide a flypast at the wake following the cremation. This was agreed on an "as available" basis & arranged directly with the Sqn Cdr.

There were many RAFA folk at the funeral. When the aircraft climbed & rolled off the top there was a tremendous cheer from the assembled crowd. A very moving & generous gesture which was much appreciated.

Good luck with your planning.

LiSrt
27th Feb 2012, 14:28
orca & fincastle84:
Thank you - I'll try putting a request in writing; I didn't mean "unofficial" in a way that could get anyone into bother, but that any memorial wouldn't be the purpose of the flight.

A2QFI
27th Feb 2012, 14:41
LiSrt - please check your PMs. I would suggest that you consider a direct telephone approach to the Community and Public Relations Officer at whatever base you decide to contact. Having them on-side could help you and if they don't seem interested just by-pass them and do what you planned

Timelord
27th Feb 2012, 16:04
Whilst not the type of aircraft that your father flew, Lossiemouth aircraft spend lots of their time over the Western Isles. Try the Station Commander at Lossiemouth.