PDA

View Full Version : Icelandic Flight Academy

Rodrek
27th Feb 2012, 10:32
Hi everybody,
I couldn't find any recent information about this school.
I'd like to know if anybody frequented it, what do you think about the courses and the instructors? I'm considering to do the IR with them.
Flugskóli | Tćkniskólinn - Skóli atvinnulífsins (http://www.tskoli.is/flugskoli-islands/)
Any feedback would be much appreciated!
Best Regards..

Rod.

737-NG
28th Feb 2012, 07:35
Don't know about them, but I would recommend Flight training with Diamond DA20, DA40 and DA42 aircraft - Keilir Aviation Academy (http://en.keilir.net/aviation-academy)

From what I heard the really deliver.

Are you a student at OBA by the way??

Rodrek
28th Feb 2012, 12:22
Thanks for your reply.
yes I was a student of EASA in Ormond.

737-NG
2nd Mar 2012, 06:56
So how did you like it over there? A few years back I almost made a choice to go there, but finally, I decide not to, too many negative stories...

Rodrek
3rd Mar 2012, 19:17
let me tell you this...
I had a great time in Florida...unfortunately the stories about engine failures are true but they have a lot of airplanes, good instructors and fair prices! You can practice in a very busy environment like Orlando class B..I had a first time pass on my CPL and I had a wonderful time in Ormond beach! No complaints about the school!

BroCode
21st Aug 2012, 17:38
Hi Guys,

Looking for any info on Icelandic Flight Academy? Any current or former students, anybody heard anything about the place? Considering it as an option for the ME/IR.

Thanks

Evolve
3rd Sep 2012, 07:45
Hi guys, I just finished my IR conversion at the Icelandic Flight Academy and that ended up being a very good experience. I had an opportunity to fly with quite a few of their instructors. Most of them if not all work for airlines and all are very good and professional. They have two Piper Seminoles which are well maintained and in good condition. All in all, everything worked out fine and I was able to complete the course in less than two weeks. I'd definitely recommend training with them!

AlexanderH
3rd Sep 2012, 13:46
As I have mentioned in many other threads on this subject I was very, very happy with Icelandic Flight Academy.

They were very helpful from the moment I arrived to when I completed my training. Very professional outfit and very well organised.

Solvi is the man to speak to there. Top bloke.

SAS-A321
3rd Sep 2012, 19:03
^What he said^ :ok:

I had some of the best flight training there while converting my MEIR.

missspacemonkey
19th Sep 2012, 19:07
In March 2012 I did my ME IR at Icelandic Flight Academy. I was very happy with the training, the instructors and people running the school are very professional and friendly. All the facilities are well maintained and aircraft are in good condition. Definitely would recommend it!

Wheel_Well
9th Jun 2013, 11:18
I can only wholeheartedly confirm the positive experiences of the other posters.

Went there for an FAA SE/IR to EASA ME/IR conversion last April-May. Instructors were top-class (IR instructors work for airlines), modern sim, and aircraft are well equipped.

The school kept all their promises; something which was not always the case in my previous flight training. Solvi is indeed a very knowledgeable and meticulous Chief Flight Instructor.

The weather can change rapidly in Iceland, but it was not a factor in my training. I flew a few times in low clouds with light rime ice and somewhat windy conditions, which prepared me well for the skill test (in CAVOK).

The other particular aspect of the flight training was the heavy use of NDBs. The aircraft do not have RMI, only a rotating card ADF, but the instructors teach you how to master NDBs using the available instruments. If you can fly NDB approaches and holds, you will be able to fly any other approach out there.

Apart from the flying, Iceland is a great country with fantastic nature, which offers good opportunities for some sightseeing during the time on the island.

In summary, I highly recommend the school and would go back anytime.

lvj
10th Jul 2013, 18:52
I did my FAA IR conversion with Keilir in Iceland and have to say fantastic aircraft DA42 and some very good training, all at a good cost.