PDA

View Full Version : David Clark H10-13H to mono radio

DerHausi
26th Feb 2012, 21:22
Hello, I have a dumb question. I have a H10-13H headset and would like to use it on a fixed wing plug mono radio (Filser ATR 600). I bought a heli to fixed wing converter but the headset is silent with the radio. What can I do ? Anyone any experience ?

I asked around but nobody has an idea. It seems silly to have to buy a bose or other mono headset.

I hope someone can help.....

gileraguy
27th Feb 2012, 02:49
I saw an adaptor from Clarke to single jack in a Yak 52. So they do exist...

DerHausi
27th Feb 2012, 06:17
Thanks for the quick reply.
I bought a general aviation adapter from heli to airplane but the headset does not work on the mono radio. We tried a bose and it works with the mono-mode but not in stereo either.
The cables seem to need to be differently connected. If someone knows how, I can just reconfigure my existing adapter. Very little on this on the web. Most posts are about military headsets with different impendance to GA.

Fitter2
27th Feb 2012, 07:02
Quite likely the headset is a dynamic mic, and the ATR600 is set to electret. there is a small slide switch on the side of the unit to change impedance and signal level. Or your adapter is duff? If you need data I have a handy simple diag. of all the connections on GA/UK NATO/ US NATO (U-174) plugs.

500e
27th Feb 2012, 11:04
Which NATO plug UK or US\Nexus\U174U Mil(TP120 commercial plug)

PJ-068
GENERAL AVIATION MIC PLUG
This is the plug that's only used in aviation. The mating
shaft of the plug is 5.23mm

PJ-055
GENERAL AVIATION EARPHONE PLUG
The mating shaft of the plug is 6.35mm
Mil:M642/4-1, NSN:5935-00-192-4760.
You can buy a plug at any electronics store.

U-174/U TP120 (TP-101)
HELICOPTER HEADSET / HELMET PLUG
This is a NEXUS plug, not a NATO plug
(sometimes referred to as a US NATO plug)
and it is not compatible with the UK NATO
plug below. Wiring,
Tip(1) Mic low (2) Ear high (3) Mic high (4) Ear low

PLUG 671
UK or EUROPEAN NATO PLUG
This plug will not mate with the Nexus range, the
mating shaft diameter is 0.43 mm bigger. This is a
Mil spec brass plug, NSN:5935-99-946-6652. Wiring,
Tip Mic, Ring 1 Mic, Ring 2 Ear, Ring 3 Ear, (Ring 1
next to tip) Mating Socket 626, NSN:5935-99-949-1940

Be careful we bought 2 ANR kits, integrated power & audio leads, + ship power units from Headset services Amarillo, And specified UK NATO connectors they were supplied with TP120 plugs, when querying we were told they were the same, on pointing out the discrepancies they appeared to not know & said they could not send correct parts as they could not source. Go figure!!!!
They offered to refund if we returned the goods to The US we are in the UK, & had fitted the wiring & units, this is not feasible so we will have to stand the hit, there were other problems as well.

DerHausi
27th Feb 2012, 12:06
500e I feel the pain... had a similar experience with a harness for a Becker 6401 transponder from aircraft spruce... was missing a control wire and they went completely blank... ended up soldering it myself.

I have a U174/U to PJ-068/PJ-055 adapter. The adapter fits both headset and aircraft. Given the headset works in Piper and Cessna with the adapter, I would assume the adapter is ok.

The issue seems to be the mono port on the radio. I have read this morning though, after a conversation with AirMarin GmbH in Mühlheim, that the radio has two modes and that dynamic headsets require a micro-switch setting on the side of the unit, so something to try first before I start pulling the cables.

Would be interested in the wiring diagram mentioned by Fitter2, will help should the switch not work....

Thanks a lot for your help guys.