PDA

View Full Version : Winjdows Mail + Outlook

Senior Paper Monitor
25th Feb 2012, 12:49
OK -second dumb question of the week.

My laptop (off which I traditional live and work) died dramatically earlier in the week but hard disk fine and recovered/operating in a cradle (also have backups for most stuff).

I would like to replace with a heavyweight desktop unit with multiple screens and a notepad/tablet BUT nothing in the budget today for what might be around a 3K spend.

Have opted to move the very much under-utilised server to my desk where it will remain for some months as my main machine. This was installed when we were looking at proper server applications primarily for our back office systems - but these either didn't happen or have been superceded. It holds our first level back ups (then dumps those offsite), some shared file data on a second drive but that's about it - other than it entertains the grandkids putting computer stuff on the big screen telly that it lives behind.

Only possible problem (other than the nausea of re-installing and authorising generally) I see at moment is that we send copies of all emails not generated in our back office system (which is an offsite webbased system) - so all ins and half our outs - to an archive address which is collected by Windows Mail on the server (some 25,000 plus emails and growing daily).

I would want to move my own emails/folders to a new installation of Outlook on that machine which I am 'borrowing' - simple resulting question .....

Can I have Windows Mail and Outlook operating at same time on same machine ?

Milo Minderbinder
25th Feb 2012, 12:56
yes, no problem as long as they are using different e-mail accounts

Just make sue that during setup yo don't import the settings and mail from one program to another

Senior Paper Monitor
25th Feb 2012, 13:02
Thats what I was hoping to hear ....

Windows Mail will continue to collect everything sent to [email protected] and do nothing lese.

I will do a new install off office with outlook and set this up for [email protected] and my personal email address.

.... and hopefully I can then get back to work !!

Thansk for the input on this and my main issue - a nightmare of a week !

Senior Paper Monitor
25th Feb 2012, 13:48
Agree but that is the tablet as well as a top end graphics machine (3 x 24 integrated screen/stand), raid based and heavy UPS (a lesson after being burnt several times I am slowing learning) and some drawing equipment/software so I reckon my spec and price is about right.

The speced desktop (no hardware/software drawing stuff) is looking about £1600 (inc VAT) (with screens and UPS) - have a look at:
computerplanet (co.uk)
- I'm impressed but would welcome opinons on alternate sources