PDA

View Full Version : How to become a Flying Instructor?

Instructor7
25th Feb 2012, 11:35
Hi, so basically, I want to become an Instructor (PPL Instructor). However, I have no idea how to go about it!

What qualifications will I need to get (in order)?

And how much will each cost?

Is it competitive to become an Instructor?

Thanks!!!

(I do not understand all this 'rating' business and I just want some advice and to be educated on it )

Thanks, any advice is appreciated!!!!!

mrmum
25th Feb 2012, 20:57
Hi there,

You should try having a look around previous threads, or use the search function, this one's quite recent.
http://www.pprune.org/flying-instructors-examiners/477692-becoming-flying-instructor.html
Also read the relevant sections of the CAA publication LASORS.
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/srg_lts_LASORS%202010%20.pdf
Specifically, section C (PPL) and/or D (CPL) for the licence you will need, section F about the rating for the type or class of aircraft you wish to fly, typically SEP(L) and section H for instructor ratings.
Also have a look at some of the bigger flying school websites, as I'd think they will have options and explanations in among the sales pitch.

But basically, to give you a start, I'm guessing you have no flying experience or qualifications at the moment;

You need some kind of pilot's licence, private or commercial, both involve flying and theoretical training of different levels and amounts.
A medical, class 1 for a CPL or class 2 for a PPL.
Your chosen licence (which entitles you to fly something) will come initially with a class or type rating (which specifies exactly which aircraft you can fly), usually for single engine piston landplanes, which are your typical flying school Pipers and Cessnas.
You then, subject to the correct experience, do an instructors course and get an FI rating.

The current situation requires an FI to hold a professional licence to be paid. The regulations are changing in April, after which the new rules will allow you to be paid with a PPL, so you need to be looking at the post EASA requirements.

After you've done a bit more research yourself, come back with any further questions you have.

Instructor7
25th Feb 2012, 21:53
Thanks for replying! I have done research, however I do not understand the system. Can I not go straight from PPL to FI? What 'ratings' do I need in order for FI? These are the main problems I have :/ Thanks

Transsonic2000
25th Feb 2012, 23:35
Hi there,

first you need to hold a PPL yourself (minimum age 17).

Flight Instructor - JAR FCL (Flight Crew Licensing):

Instructor Ratings
An instructor rating is valid for 3 years. To be allowed to begin a Flight Instructor (FI(A)) course the pilot must have 200 hr of flight time of which 100 hr must be PIC, if the pilot is the holder of an ATPL(A) or CPL(A), 150 hr PIC if the holder of a PPL(A) and have passed the CPL(A) knowledge test.

Hope I could help.

Aware
26th Feb 2012, 10:52
If you hold a PPL with CPL TK and FI rating then you will be able to be paid to instruct for the EASA PPL. If you haven't demonstrated CPL TK, then it's just instructing for the LAPL.

Cost:
Not sure if you have a PPL:
PPL 45hrs = 7500
155hrs hour build x 125 ph 19375
FI 7000
To teach LAPL
To teach PPL
add CPL exams 2500

I mention cost because some don’t and it’s a pretty vital part of the flying equation unfortunately. From zero to a PPL FI is over 30K these days, quite an outlay. For very small or no income at all, at your age of course it may lead to much better paid aviation jobs.

Genghis the Engineer
26th Feb 2012, 11:23
Instructor Training | Flying Instructor | Flight Instructor | Full or Part-Time Instructor Courses with On-Track Aviation (http://www.ontrackaviation.com/fi-r.htm)

You could also ask your own instructors? They certainly know, having done it themselves.

G

Pilot DAR
26th Feb 2012, 20:17
While wanting to be encouraging, I would lkike to point out that instructing should be more than teaching what you've just been taught, it should be teaching what you've learned over years of varied flying experiences.

What qualifications will I need to get

There's a saying (one of hundreds):

"It takes 45 hours to learn to fly, and a lifetime to learn when to fly".

Maybe not a whole lifetime, but..... Instructors are honour bound to teach not only from the "curriculum", but also from first hand experience. When a student asks "why", the answer has to often come from the instructor's experience.

Instructor7, consider the value in a few hundred hours of well varied experience, so when you start to teach, you can explain why.....

I'm not an instructor, though it's something I have thought about. The experience I have is getting me close to "having what it takes", but until then, I'll type here....