PDA

View Full Version : Diamond Jubilee Vulcan Flying

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2012, 09:54
From this month's RAF Club Newsletter. Some may not be aware this is going on.

A spectacular nationwide Diamond Jubilee tribute to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has been launched by the Vulcan to the Sky Trust, the charity that operates the last flying Vulcan. With the permission of Buckingham Palace, XH558 ‘The Spirit of Great Britain’ will fly for millions of people across the United Kingdom, celebrating sixty years of British achievement in the year that is also the Diamond Jubilee of the Vulcan aircraft type. The Salute to Her Majesty will begin in the spring of 2012.

Throughout the Diamond Jubilee tour, XH558 will carry a bespoke, leather-bound Book of Good Wishes containing names and messages from individuals, families and businesses who have subscribed to the Salute. At the end of the season, the book will be presented at Buckingham Palace. A second copy of the book will be on display at the new Vulcan Visitor Centre in Doncaster as a permanent tribute to Her Majesty and to the brave and talented individuals who designed, flew and maintained the RAF’s peacekeeping aircraft.

The Vulcan has a special relationship with the Royal Family: HRH The Duke of Edinburgh, HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH Prince Michael of Kent have each piloted a Vulcan. In recognition of this close association, the launch of the Vulcan’s Salute to Her Majesty at the RAF Club on October 5th was attended by HRH Prince Michael of Kent.

2012 is also the 30th anniversary of the only time that a Vulcan was used in anger when, on May 1st 1982, Squadron Leader Martin Withers DFC and his crew executed the legendary Black Buck 1 bombing raid to begin the process of recapturing the Falkland Islands. The Black Buck missions captured the record for the longest-ever bombing sorties at the time, a round trip of nearly 8,000 miles that required a sophisticated cascade of in-flight refuelling from Victor tankers. Martin Withers is now chief pilot of Vulcan to the Sky Trust.

Names can be added to the Book of Good Wishes either online at Vulcan Salute (http://www.vulcansalute.org) or by calling 0845 5046 558 during office hours. A donation of £5 is requested to help cover the cost of operating XH558 through the Tribute season. A personal message to Her Majesty can be added for a further £5.

taxydual
25th Feb 2012, 10:28
Tacky, just tacky.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Feb 2012, 11:25
Given the 3rd and 4th paragraphs, I expect the Argies will have an opinion or too...;)

P6 Driver
25th Feb 2012, 11:58
Tacky, just tacky.

And your recommendation for improving the idea is what???

spekesoftly
25th Feb 2012, 12:23
I expect the Argies will have an opinion or too .....Are you suggesting another bespoke leather-bound book for their comments? :E

Pontius Navigator
25th Feb 2012, 14:43
A third for tacky comments?

Bushfiva
25th Feb 2012, 14:53
And your recommendation for improving the idea is what???

Not try to attach its own basket-case needs to another event??

NutLoose
25th Feb 2012, 16:03
I donated once and ever since I have been bombarded with begging letters which I simply bin, they seem to know no bounds as to how low they will stoop to extract Money, it is also one of the few historical civilian aircraft that pays its crew to fly it, didn't mind funding the aircraft considering the amount of people that give their time for free to help keep it airworthy, but to fund the crew..I will pass.
BUT the year it flew to Waddington I think it was, where all the blurb for the show swelled the crowds to see the Vulcan fly, with some people travelling hundreds of miles with their families to see it and having paid to get in to find it was actually in the static as the VOC prior to it arriving knew the Permit to Fly would not be in place. They then left all the unpaid volunteers to face the anger of those that had spent a lot of money to get there, whilst the paid Aircrew, Staff and Dr Fleming stayed well away.... I truly felt for those volunteers and the abuse they got...
I would rather see it reduced to baked bean cans than it see another £1 out of my pocket to pay the wages of Fleming and his cronies.

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2012, 16:04
Well, whatever you think, I feel good about seeing the flying eclipse of the sun in the air, especially on a great occasion. I just know you're all delighted to know I feel good. :cool:

Are you suggesting another bespoke leather-bound book for their comments?

I think a couple of leather bound 1000 pounders. Style and effect!

(EDIT) Nutloose, I hadn't seen your post when I pressed "submit". I wasn't aware of that, but have to agree it's a bloody disgrace.

I wasn't trying to promote this event, I just though it might be of interest. Maybe I'll watch it and not donate.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
25th Feb 2012, 16:10
I would suggest 21 books for the Argies, and perhaps a metal cover might be more suitable for the inscriptions.
http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/6797/acesep2007028wbn0.jpg

Bill Macgillivray
25th Feb 2012, 21:18
I have flown 558 and most of the other B2's. I must confess that when I was posted to the aircraft I was not impressed! (You should never have more than two crew in a military aircraft!!). However, I did come to enjoy flying the beast and had many happy times with it (and all the mates!!). My point now is that it will be great (for many) to have 558 flying in this Jubilee year but that should be the end! The amount of money gathered over the years would /could have been better used! (Probably would not have been donated, however, if I am realistic!!). Anyway, good luck this year and let us hope we get a spin-off to military charities.

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2012, 22:41
You could often say that that money donated to almost anything (I know someone will think of something clever here) could have been better used after the event, but people donated specifically for that. So it's fine. It's great to see it flying and I wish there were more jreat old aircraft doing the same.

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2012, 23:05
Yes, fine with people donating to whatever turns them on. Why not?

Yes, pretty much the whole bottle. :eek:

NutLoose
25th Feb 2012, 23:28
Et tu Brutus.... Hic

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2012, 23:32
Look behind you, Mr Brutus! Poor bloke.

NutLoose
25th Feb 2012, 23:37
Thought that used to be S.O.P

Bill Macgillivray
26th Feb 2012, 20:36
:sad::sad::sad: OH DEAR!!!

Mach Two
27th Feb 2012, 11:35
I was about to comment, but it looks like a number of posts have been deleted/removed.

Blacksheep
27th Feb 2012, 12:24
The Salute to Her Majesty will begin in the spring of 2012.Are we sure that a Flying "V" is a suitable salute to Her Majesty? :ooh:

NutLoose
27th Feb 2012, 14:27
Mach 2 don't think deleted, think the site threw a wobbly as they are in here

http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/478179-nimrod-project-progress-kinloss-2.html

Courtney Mil
27th Feb 2012, 15:05
NL & M2,

Yes, some posts are scattered in all different threads. This is a good game, post go to completely random threads and we have to try to make sense of them!

NutLoose
27th Feb 2012, 15:37
2009 accounts

70k plus wages for Fleming

Page 22

Wages exhibition and display £74,954

Most of the staffing that follow it around show and do the exhibition are volunteers I believe. Maintenance is budgeted separately.

See

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends48/0001101948_AC_20091031_E_C.PDF

Tankertrashnav
27th Feb 2012, 16:38
XH 558 should have been "taken on the books" of the BBMF at the outset (yes I know, but how many Dakotas flew in the Battle of Britain?) If the government can afford to forego £20.5m in tax in order to keep a Manet in the country, it can afford a similar sum to keep the only surviving airworthy V bomber in the air.

BBC News - Ashmolean Museum heads campaign to save Manet painting (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-17156588)

Q-RTF-X
27th Feb 2012, 22:06
I remember seeing some of the Vulcan’s first flight; I went to school in Bramhall in those days and observed the aircraft fly around nearby a few times with one of the Avro 707’s and a Vampire from the then R. Aux. AF station at Ringway formed up close beneath (I later learnt that some bits were seen dropping away from the aircraft as it departed Woodford and I believe they were trying to assess the situation); as in those days I was totally consumed by all things aviation I was eagerly expecting the event and was chuffed to death to catch a brief sight of the occasion. Not so many years later I joined the Air Force as a Boy Entrant and after training my first posting was Scampton, where 617 had the last of the Mk 1’s and a few Mk1a’s while awaiting delivery of the Mk 2’s. I certainly have fond memories of the Vulcan and understand the wish of many to see the aircraft actually fly, though living where I do the prospect of seeing that happen myself is a big zero. I have in the past donated a modest contribution and have followed the project from afar; I am however starting to share some of the sentiments expressed that question some of the fund raising method and also some of the expenditure. In many ways it would be a shame to bring 558’s flying days to an end but it’s got to come someday anyhow so, perhaps after this season the time is right. I like the Nimrod idea that is being worked on (the one with recent links to this topic) and I’m pretty sure something imaginative could be established for 558.

Courtney Mil
28th Feb 2012, 08:35
Q-RTF-X, good dit there, thanks. I'm glad that this funding/paying issue has come to light, thanks to all that have opened my eyes to this.

efiste2
28th Feb 2012, 19:50
XH 558 should have been "taken on the books" of the BBMF at the outset (yes I know, but how many Dakotas flew in the Battle of Britain?) If the government can afford to forego £20.5m in tax in order to keep a Manet in the country, it can afford a similar sum to keep the only surviving airworthy V bomber in the air.

Well said that man!!

Whilst I do have concerns about the level of pay that some of the higher ranks of the VTST. I am proud to say that I often donate to the fund, I never knowingly saw a Vulcan in flight and never knowingly heard the terrific sound it makes on full(ish) throttle. So seeing 558 in the air to me is just an amazing experience. Its also Its role as an icon of the V-Force days....that I beleive need to be remembered and communicated to both young and old alike!!!

glojo
29th Mar 2012, 16:03
Sorry to be a kill joy but if the Vulcan is taken back onto 'the books' then where do we stop? There is a thread discussing HMS Plymouth and to me she achieved far more than the Vulcan and NO I am NOT criticising those that want to preserve it. (We were lucky enough to see this aircraft from my house when it came down to Dawlish Airshow)

I am a HUGE fan of the Battle of Britain flight but how sad we could not afford to save any of the Second World War small ships that stopped the Nazi war machine from starving our little nation into submission? How long could those beautiful aircraft have kept flying without fuel? Not a single corvette or frigate has been saved to let our children, our grand children or even their children see the atrocious conditions those sailors had to endure, day in, day out week in week out.

I am all in favour of the MoD supplying the land\hanger space or berth IF......If it is available but that should be all they provide, I am certain there will be more than enough volunteers to maintain those things we wish to preserve and if money is needed then should we look to the lottery funds or charitable organisations to preserve these machines that would otherwise be sentenced to the scrap heap?

Courtney Mil
29th Mar 2012, 18:22
Good point, Glojo. I have to ask, though, where should we spend some of the country's money and charity funds? On SOME (not all, obviously) pieces of hardward that have a status all of their own and that (as you imply) served our nation so well, or a bunch of sponging hoodies on benefits that have done nothing for the nation apart from believe that it owes them a living? Oh, and then theirs foreign aid. How much of that is given to one country country who then passes it on to our enemies under the same guise?

glojo
29th Mar 2012, 19:46
Hi Courtney,
I am so proud of my country, my forefathers, and the way we defend our freedom. I get so angry when I have to 'sit' back and listen to left wing, tree hugging vegan eating pacifist liberal idiots..... rant mode, rant mode.......

We spend millions on so called art, we pay people to display beds covered in sheets that have been soiled with urine...... but how dare anyone suggest we erect any type of memorial to commemorate our military achievements.

Instead of spending millions on ballet, or so called modern art let us develop a National Park where we can put on display military vehicles\ships\aircraft and anything else that has served Queen and country. Think back to the Yangtse Incident, (http://www.britains-smallwars.com/RRGP/AMETHYST.htm)the Amethyst was what the Royal Navy is all about but where is the Amethyst? What type of aircraft flew over the jungles of Borneo or the desert of Aden? I am NOT suggesting we have fleets of aircraft, ships etc but somewhere like Portland has a nice smallish dockyard that could berth a number of decommissioned ships, that by their deeds or acts of daring do have become famous, then there is the airbase that is closing down that could host similar type aircraft along with maybe the army equipment. Who can can the footage of the Wessex disappearing into that thick black acrid smoke when the Sir Galahad was ablaze? That type of aircraft has been around the block several times and MUST have so many stories but is it just going to disappear?

Amethyst has long since gone and sadly Plymouth is now heading in the same direction but she deserves better. I could nominate so many planes, boats and why not trains for good measure but tanks, the old Bedford trucks, chieftain tanks on those huge transporters, an Army scout helicopter, the old Pink Panther Landrover that saw service in the Middle East there is no end of equipment that could go on display.

Lets put some of this wasted money into that which has struggled to keep the 'Great' in Britain

Have you noticed how none of our politicians from ANY party will call our country by its proper name? President Obama calls our country Great Britain whereas Blair, Brown or Cameron simply call it Britain!! The chances of us preserving our military heritage is comparable to my chance of stepping foot on the Moon!

End of rant mode and I will lay back and accept my punishment for too much wittering:O:O

Lewis deLow
29th Mar 2012, 20:23
There's something special about the sight & sound of the Vulcan & I always put money in the Vulcan bucket but, to be fair to the arty types, once you've saved a painting for the nation all you need to do is bang a nail in the wall to hang it on.

NutLoose
29th Mar 2012, 20:36
lol, well put :E:ok:

glojo
29th Mar 2012, 20:50
all you need to do is bang a nail in the wall to hang it on.Totally agree but the reality is that if a so called artist were to bang that nail into the wall they would call it art.

This is\was on display at the Tate Modern. You can tell me that is art till the thing gets back up and walks away :sad:

http://swipe.swipelife.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/pop-life-tate-modern-main-i.jpg It is indeed a DEAD horse! A dead horse is now called art... Sorry but the lunatics are now in charge of the asylum and we have allowed it.

Lewis deLow
29th Mar 2012, 21:47
That's art? Words fail me.

taxydual
30th Mar 2012, 05:16
That's art? Words fail me.

I'm not suprised. They've hung it upside down!

ShyTorque
30th Mar 2012, 07:28
Some would say that's the second dead horse they're trying to flog.

Lima Juliet
30th Mar 2012, 08:01
The reason for the Dak on BBMF is quite simple.

The multi-eng pilots need a multi-eng taildragger to practise on whilst the Lanc is in Winter maintenance. It also makes a good training bird for new pilots and navs on the Flight. Oh, and she's a damn fine WWII Warbird so she makes a good addition to the fleet for displays.

The Vulcan on the other hand would not. Also, what about a Meteor and Vampire like the old Historic Pair that we used to have? A 3 ship Vintage Jets trio would be great. But in the end it all costs money and we should be winding back our spending on displays to the bare minimum (I would suggest smaller RAFAT using part-time Valley instructors and BBMF continuing with part-time aircrew from the local RAF Stns (save for the full time Boss who could be FTRS to save money as well)).

Just my two-penneth...

LJ

phantomstreaker
30th Mar 2012, 09:09
Nut Loose

I expressed similar comments on Facebook and faced a barrage of abuse saying I was unpatriotic etc.

Responded by the fact i had served during the cold war and didnt need their constant emails and status updates requesting money.

its not cost effective so just let it go...:=

Pheasant
30th Mar 2012, 09:21
There is no doubt that the Vulcan is a fantastic sight in the sky and is always popular at air shows.

However, is the support of it distorting the market for donating to other equally worthy, but less costly, types? I can't recall the actual costs but I believe it is somewhere near £1M per annum. Such a figure would keep the Sea Vixen, for example, running for 10 years at least.

I have seen at various air shows small aviation charities almost begging for donations from the public only to be completely overshadowed (sometimes literally) by the VTTS juggernaut.

gsa
30th Mar 2012, 12:31
XH 558 should have been "taken on the books" of the BBMF at the outset

Lets just get the public to throw a spectacular amount of money at a piece of flying scrap with a very limited life. The death rattle has been going on long enough I just with they would let it die.

Stitchbitch
30th Mar 2012, 12:31
LJ,

can't be sure..but I think OC BBMF (a S/L) is the only full time aircrew on BBMF, the rest are from other sations and operate other aircraft types during the week (i.e. Tornado GR.4, Hercules, King Air, E3D, but not all at the same time..). :ok:

Lima Juliet
30th Mar 2012, 17:14
BBMF continuing with part-time aircrew from the local RAF Stns (save for the full time Boss who could be FTRS to save money as well)).

'Twas was I said was it not?

Stitchbitch
2nd Apr 2012, 11:49
Twas what you said, but worth saying again. I recon they provide excellent 'value' in this day and age. :ok:

goldeneaglepilot
30th May 2012, 14:01
The moment someones fat salary went pop!!

Sadly is this the end of the Vulcans flying days? Will it be beyond economical repair?

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa438/dh12554/MomentofsecondexplosiononVulcan.jpg

BEagle
30th May 2012, 19:06
Yet again more negativity from yellowchickencopilot...

Perhaps you could take up another hobby, such as playing golf on railway lines?

I will be demanding an explanation for this reported incident. No excuses, huggy-fluffy 'no blame' bolleaux or whatever. Someone seems to have screwed up.....and I will need a convincing explanation or my standing order will be cancelled.

NutLoose
30th May 2012, 19:12
The technical team spent yesterday (Tuesday) investigating the engine damage on XH558, to determine its cause and to start assessing the timescale and cost of rectification.

We have already established that both engines No.1 and No.2 on the port side are sadly beyond repair, both having suffered blade damage and the effect of excessive heat.

The primary cause of the damage has been determined to be ingestion of silica gel desiccant bags. The most likely sequence of events was that material was ingested by No.1 engine, which surged and suffered LP compressor blade failure. Debris was then sucked into No. 2 which then also failed.

All relevant agencies and technical authorities have been informed. "We have been greatly reassured by the support from industry colleagues, and would like to thank all those who have offered help," said engineering director Andrew Edmondson.

We would also like to place on record our thanks to all at Robin Hood Airport Doncaster Sheffield for their swift and professional reaction on Monday, whilst also apologising to those affected by delays or diversions.

In accordance with normal procedures, a formal investigation into the incident has been opened, chaired by the Chairman of the Trust's Safety Review Committee.

The technical inspection has so far showed that no airframe damage was sustained, with damage being limited to the engines. The next step is to replace the damaged engines with two from the Trust's remaining stock. Timescales for a return to flight are not yet clear – we will of course update the web site with progress and give details in the e-newsletters each week.

"We are deeply sorry that this incident has happened, and at this time in 2012. The additional unplanned costs are clearly very worrying as resources are, as ever very tight" said the charity's chief executive, Dr. Robert Pleming. "We are actively working on a plan to recover our Jubilee season schedule and we will share this with you as soon as practical via the newsletter, Facebook page, Twitter feed and the web site."

With many thanks to all for continuing to support Vulcan XH558.

Enough said! Sounds like simple engineering error...... Damn bad luck as you can rebuild the aircraft no problem with money, but they only have a finite stock of engines...... I feel for the guys or gal involved... Did you not get the email Beagle with the above?

There is a film of it

YouTube - Broadcast Yourself. (http://m.youtube.com/?reload=3&rdm=m45tih4lq#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DYzkQ7sSpATU%26feature%3Dyou tu.be%26hd%3D1&feature=youtu.be&hd=1&v=YzkQ7sSpATU&gl=GB)

goldeneaglepilot
30th May 2012, 19:38
Yet again more negativity from yellowchickencopilot...

Perhaps you could take up another hobby, such as playing golf on railway lines?

Negativity? - why, surely the great Beagle has an opinion about the Salary structure for the Vulcan charity. Exactly how much of your monthly donation reaches the actual aircraft fund and how much pays salaries?

Alternatively could you be one of those in receipt of the salary hence your comment?

BEagle
30th May 2012, 19:50
'Simple engineering error' has no place in aviation. Military groundcrew certainly understand this.

If silica bags are 'permitted tools' in the intakes, there must be a procedure for their issue and removal before flight, including formal supervisory checks.

And no, yellowchickencopilot of schadenfreude, I most certainly do NOT have any salary as you allege. Whether I will continue to contribute to '558 depends upon the findings into the destruction of two priceless engines.

NutLoose
30th May 2012, 20:18
Don't forget I am ex RAF ground crew, I agree there should be procedures in place, but we simply do not know if that was the route cause, no one does yet, things get missed when pressure is on and people are getting rushed to do a five minute job in three. Nothing man has ever done has been 100% we are all falible from the person in the cockpit through to the engineers working on the aircraft.. Until the reason is known, I for one will not cast the first sto..... Bag of silica gel..

goldeneaglepilot
30th May 2012, 20:31
Beagle, I do not and never have obtained the slightest pleasure from the misfortune of others.

I happily give to charity, I also hope that the vast majority of my donation ends up being used directly for the beneficial use.

I also think that the Vulcan is a fantastic part of aviation history, however I have personal reservations about the campaign for funds -V- the salaries of certain officials within its infrastructure.

Perhaps you are happy, however I find it sits badly with me.

Baseline in 2008 of £70k per month in salary costs....

Latest Statement from Vulcan Operating Company (http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/2008/01/latest-statement-from-vulcan-operating-company/)

Posted by Flightline UK on 15/01/2008 under Warbirds and Classic Jets (http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/category/warbirds/) | http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/wp-content/themes/new-balance-of-blue/images/icon-comment.gifBe the First to Comment (http://www.airshows.org.uk/news/2008/01/latest-statement-from-vulcan-operating-company/#respond)
Honouring the Past, Inspiring the Future.
As promised in the last message, here is news on our progress towards delivering Vulcan XH558 back to UK air displays later this year. To minimise duplication, I have written this as an update to my last message of 10th December, which is reproduced below.
The next phase in the new life of XH558 takes the aircraft from today up to its first public display. In funding terms, we estimate that it will cost about £575,000 to meet our target of returning her to public display on 1st June, an amount which is consistent with our estimated gross annual running costs of about £1.6million.
Following on from the enormous financial goodwill shown by many companies, and by Marshall Aerospace in particular, in enabling us to achieve the first test flight on 18th October, we have chosen to avoid the risk of future fiscal embarrassment by electing to pay for any major work before it starts.
Whilst the largest proportion of the £575,000 pays for the monthly £70,000 baseline costs of salaries and other vital items, the steepest part of the new challenge is the upfront outlay of £85,000 required now to restart the test flight programme. The costs of the display work-up flights and aviation insurance are the other major elements making up the total

500N
30th May 2012, 20:37
70k a MONTH ?

That seems one hell of a lot.

:rolleyes:

NutLoose
30th May 2012, 21:45
Err rumour has it one of them is on about that a Year... Plus apparently they pay the crew, name another civilian vintage warbird where the crew are salaried

That's a lot of fundraising before a wheel turns

ratty1
30th May 2012, 21:47
Whether I will continue to contribute to '558 depends upon the findings into the destruction of two priceless engines.

Oooh that will kill the project off if the almighty beagle stops his direct debit.:rolleyes: Get over yourself fella.

Rigga
30th May 2012, 22:10
Big birds have big bills.

To correct GEP's stirring misquote "...£70,000 baseline costs of salaries and other vital items..."

£70K pcm is not too bad, cost-wise, for something so unique that must have huge insurance, maintenance and wage bills. Don't forget this beast is/was flying on a Permit, with multiplied maintenance costs due to tighter compliance monitoring - more like a 10 hours between Primary Maintenance programme.

I would dare to assume that the only "fee-free" item in this operation was possibly the pilots, who should've been doing it purely for enjoyment.

Pure speculation - but, it was "probably" a good idea to bung silica gel bags down the intakes and exhausts to try and preserve them precious engines but was done in good intent. But in this operation "we" don't know who would have done that deed? I'd seen the beast in a hangar at Robin Hood and it appeared warm and dry, well cosseted and properly preserved over the last break.

And, especially for Beagle, there are NO MILITARY rules applied to this recently created invalid. The "military" have more maintenance related incidents than anyone else.

This sort of incident is typical of low-use small operator errors. I have seen an aircraft taxi and launch with Tie-Down Weights still attached! (and not a maintenance error)

I don't contribute to this relic (I never worked on 'em) and I don't work for it either.

goldeneaglepilot
30th May 2012, 22:19
No misquote, a direct copy of their statement...

FOI act disclosure later on makes interesting reading, its been on Pprune many times before

500N
30th May 2012, 22:28
Rigga

Not sure how you write, but IMHO it's natural to describe the majority of the costs with what they are and then "other vital items" etc etc afterwards.

If Fuel or Insurance were the MAJOR part of that, then why not put:-
"70k per month for insurance, fuel and other vital items including salaries".

Or it was a slip of the thought process because that is the truth
but they don't publish it like that normally !!!

RumPunch
31st May 2012, 12:46
I was sure it was due to flypast for the queens jubilee but from what I've heard it's a 2 week job. Damm unfortunate timing

grimfixer
31st May 2012, 14:16
After making a bee-line to XH558 at various airshows I attended as part of the display and also always eager to see this beast in its element, I can't say enough how disappointing it is to hear about inflated salaries and gravy train set-ups. I feel like the 6 yr old being told Father Christmas is fiction. I would like to think the reports are groundless but having done a little digging it certainly seems to be fact.
£70k+ pa is more than an eager volunteer might expect.
Sadly, thanks to inflated figures like this I fear the big bird has a distinctly limited future. Would be nice to hear one of the people drawing such a salary from publicly donated money to justify the figure.:suspect:

NutLoose
31st May 2012, 20:57
0ct 2009 accounts

Wages and salaries 642,680
Social security. 59,263
Pension costs 2,474

Total 704,714

Average number of employees 17

Highest earning Robert Pleming 72,000

A lot of tin rattling before a penny gets spent on the jet.

For full details see

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends48/0001101948_AC_20091031_E_C.PDF

iRaven
31st May 2012, 21:53
One word...Shisters! :*

goldeneaglepilot
31st May 2012, 22:24
2009 figures give 17 people an average salary of at least £37800. Not bad for a charity. But then charity does begin at home....

The accounts of 2010 give a slightly better result in 2010, but are significantly worse in other areas.

http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/Accounts/Ends48%5C0001101948_ac_20101031_e_c.pdf

Alber Ratman
1st Jun 2012, 18:45
Roberts wages take the mick..:E

ShyTorque
1st Jun 2012, 22:23
"Anyone seen that nice leather bound book we're supposed to be taking flying with us?"

"I put it in the engine intake so we wouldn't forget it ....Oops!"

http://i1197.photobucket.com/albums/aa438/dh12554/MomentofsecondexplosiononVulcan.jpg

phil9560
2nd Jun 2012, 01:38
It was marvellous to see a Vulcan flying again-whatever went on in the back room.

Weeeee
22nd Nov 2012, 20:32
How the hell does one aircraft run up £350k per year in hanger charges?

Who owns the hanger? Who's benefiting?

alisoncc
23rd Nov 2012, 07:32
Seems quite reasonable to me. A "hanger" is a device for supending objects. In this case most probably the Vulcan was suspended from a sky hook to give the impression it was flying. Moving the sky hook around the country does cost a significant amount of money.

Now if it was £350k for "Hangar" space, then yes it does seem excessive.

bubblesuk
23rd Nov 2012, 09:37
Doncaster Airport which is owned by Peel Holdings.

phantomstreaker
23rd Nov 2012, 12:37
These prices quoted ref Newquay airport (RAF St Mawgan)

Available Now
Hangar 404
5,575m2 (60,000sqft) hangar and adjacent offices of 603 m² (6,496 ft²).

Available for occupation in late 2011
Ballykelly Cantilever construction
Offers an ideal opportunity to attract companies within the aircraft maintenance sector
Direct access to main apron and the main runway
For narrow body jet aircraft, such as Boeing 737 or A320.
Currently undergoing major investment to bring it up to standards required by industry.
111m wide by 48m deep and 12.5m high.
Main doors 13m high and max clear opening of 83m wide and 13m high
£8 per sq ft so quick maths =£480,000 per annum.

so £350,000 seems a good deal?